Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2018 #14


Hi there. It's time for another Shock-O-Rama Poster Show. It's still summer and I thought I'd just use up the gifs that were bottom o' the barrel that have been sitting in my files forever. You'll see why they're left overs. Ha! Mostly they are guys--and is that some boy band? Whatever---this really is the last of the crappy beach/summer gifs.  The posters are rather hodge-podge themselves. Not a lot to see---as you'll see.

Did everyone tune in for the great Heritage Auction major auction today? I watched---but didn't bid. I'm broke and in the process of refinancing my house. I was told not to make any big purchases until escrow closes. Sigh. There were so many goodies. I'd have loved to just scored one. oh well. Next time, perhaps. How did YOU do?

Now let the poster games begin....




HERBIE GOES BANANAS:

Ever have one of those moments where you see a poster for auction and think 'I know! I'll start collecting that series.' Thus I have HERBIE GOES BANANAS. Oops. What was I thinking? I only saw the first two HERBIE movies---when I was a CHILD. I never saw this one (or HERBIE GOES TO MONTE CARLO...or even the remake/sequel thing with Lindsey Lohan). Oh well.



TIARA TAHITI:

I have no clue as to what this movie is. I had never heard of it before until I saw the poster. Tahiti sounded tropical. Future tiki room (bar) poster? Maybe. It was cheap...but not that exciting. (Maybe it would look better after a few Mai Tais?)




GOR:

I have no idea what this is. I've seen the GOR books--but never read any. This movie looks like it was probably BAD. Ha! This was a cheap-o. Why not?




THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (Italian 4F 1975 re-release):

I kind of wish I had NOT gotten this. There are a couple of things about I'm not thrilled with. The guy on the slab and the blade are the same artwork as on the US poster...and I didn't realize until too late that it is a 4 foglio size---meaning it is in 2 pieces, which I hate. They're just TOO BIG! Oh well. The image of Vincent Price is a nice added feature.






SON OF SAMSON:

Yes, I already have this poster---but it was less than $7 and I do like my "Hercules movies". Have I seen this? Hmm. I think I have (probably have), but do not recall now.




THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE (3D):
Well, YAHOO! Another vintage 3D title from the 1950s. This was part of the 3D explosion of 1953 (following the breakout success of BWANA DEVIL, the first 3D feature length movie in 1952) that saw the release of 29 3D feature films and numerous 3D shorts. While I have several vintage 3D posters....this one was not one of them until now. This is allegedly in better shape than it looks. I've never seen this, but it stars Agnes (Endora from "Bewitched") Moorehead? Oh my. I can NOT imagine her in a musical. Ha! Wish I could see it (but only if it were in 3D, of course).







THE YELLOW HOUSE ON PINNASBERG:

Ha! Talk about phallic... This poster made me laugh---so, since it was under $5, I bought it. I looked this up (after buying it). Apparently it is a West German sex comedy from the early 1970s about a brothel for frustrated and lonely housewives (staffed by mostly men--hence the shape of the house, perhaps?). Also known as "The Sex Nest" apparently. I've never seen it---it would probably suck--but the poster is ribald fun.







CONCORDE AFFAIR (aka CONCORDE AFFAIRE '79 and S.O.S. CONCORDE) (Italian 2F):
Zowie! Italian filmmakers, especially in the '70s and '80s, were the kings of copyright infringement. Thank goodness, or we wouldn't have such jewels as ZOMBIE or BEYOND THE DOOR, etc. Universal Studios was prepping to unleash its 4th AIRPORT flick on the world, THE CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79, when the Italians beat them to the punch with this ripoff---CONCORDE AFFAIR (which was widely released as CONCORDE AFFAIR '79. See the confusing similarity? Ha!). This is one of the few disaster flicks I've not yet tracked down and watched, but I have seen the French trailer (under the "S.O.S. CONCORDE" title). It looks like the movie is all over the place, ripping off more than just the AIRPORT series. The trailer I saw has a shark, a boating disaster (small scale), chase scenes (on land), etc. And this film apparently does its best to combine THE CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79 with the previous AIRPORT '77 by having it crash/become submerged under the ocean on a ledge (as shown with a ridiculously lousy model). This isn't the most interesting poster ever (far from it), but I am happy to have it to add to my disaster collection.



SKYSCRAPER:
I know this is probably just another Dwayne Johnson movie....but it looks like it could be very TOWERING INFERNO-esque (just with Dwayne Johnson getting in the way doing Dwayne Johnson-type things). The disaster element was the draw for me here. No, I have not seen the movie yet---but I may. (I sat through SAN ANDREAS and RAMPAGE for the earthquake/Kong-esque parts.)




SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (Italian 2F 1963 re-release):

I had a French re-release of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, which I sold a while back. I kind of regret that (classic Universal horror in any form is kind of hard to find), but I just was not wild about the poster. This Italian poster has different art than I've ever seen for a Frankenstein flick. It's nice. I'm not sure if I love it or not, yet. The creature's skin tone is the same as the other guy's...not green, gray or pastey or bluish. He is wearing his typical, stylish outfit though (blazer, t-shirt, pants--although they almost look like blue jeans). With the chain, this almost makes it look like a Frankenstein juvenile delinquent story. It is a colorful poster, though. I'm hoping it will grow on me.




That's it for now. I'll let you get back into the swim of things and enjoy the rest of your summer.



CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this