Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 127

November 24, 2016, 12:00:39 AM




Gobble! Gobble! Gobble! Happy Thanksgiving! (Well, it is in the USA today.) I thought I'd have post a BONUS post to share my bounty of posters and wish you all the best of Thanksgivings. I am WORKING all day (7 am to 730 pm), but that is okay as I have NO family in town any more to celebrate with. So, I'll celebrate with all of you, my poster family, in our own unique way. My offerings this time are, for the most part, pretty tepid...but there are some savory tidbits I'm sure you'll enjoy as you go down...and remember, dig in. There are NO CALORIES in this poster feast.

Forget the turkey or the pumpkin pie, pass the posters.

Okay...here you go:


NIGHT OF THE GRIZZLY:

No idea why I bothered with this. It was there...it was cheap. I've been bummed because I'm broke and just picking up inexpensive things here and there...  Oh well.





THAR SHE BLOWS:

No, this is not an accidental repeat of something I posted earlier this month. It's actually a second copy I got in late September. Ooops!  Stupid me. But it may be nicer than the other one. We'll see.




FEMALE TROUBLE(French):

Yowza! I am beyond thrilled to have this. John Waters is one of my favorite directors (well, his earlier stuff). FEMALE TROUBLE is a classic. I'll never be able to get the (ultra rare) US release one sheet...but I've seen this French poster and it looks sooo cool. But they usually go for big dollars. There was one on emovie in September that went for $140. This is NOT that one. I scored this one for less than $40 just days earlier. SOLD!!!!  Yahoo!






FATHOM:

Zowie. I may never be able to get my hands on a ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. poster with a fur bikini-clad Raquel Welch...but I was surprised to get this bikini/parachute-clad Raquel (the studio obviously trying to recall the earlier poster art to lure in movie goers) for only the opening bid price of $14.99. I saw this flick years ago...it seemed like it wanted to be a female James Bond type of movie....but remember it was a mess and a missed opportunity. Oh well....




FLOOD:

Oh my stars! I am soooooo excited to get this poster. Yes, FLOOD is that crappy TV disaster movie made by Irwin Allen in the late 70s. So why am I excited? Because---I love my vintage disaster flicks. I had found a copy of the FIRE poster (the companion TV disaster flick made by Allen around the same time), but was always looking for a FLOOD poster. Did one exist in English? I knew both films had been released theatrically overseas (hence the posters). I had seen one for FIRE early on (and eventually got one a few years back)--but FLOOD? Hmm. For years, the closest I came was this French poster. I was happy-ish with it, but longed for a one sheet. A one sheet sized poster showed up from Lebannon...and I got it...but the title was so unusually small...and it didn't really seem like a US one sheet. Then I spotted THIS one. Finally. From Switzerland of all places. It's a US printed one sheet for international distribution. Whoo hoo. I still think it's funny/sad that we got to see this crap for free on TV...and others had to pay to be disappointed in Europe.





SAVAGE SISTERS:

Just a little B-movie grindhouse fun.





WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 7:

Ditto above.





MAN FROM DEEP RIVER (German):

This poster for the German release of MAN FROM DEEP RIVER (aka SACRIFICE) has me wondering if Steve used to work for the German film board in some way. I can see his keen sense of design in the use of this scene to convey the film as a whole. NOT. This is the first of what would become the Italian cannibal sub-genre. Interesting choice of ad material for the poster though. Really? Breast meat anyone? Gobble! Gobble!






PSYCHO (linen):

HOLD the phones...Holy crap-a-rama. What the hell was I thinking? I was purposely NOT going to watch the Heritage Auctions last weekend when Jeff posted about the Italian CASABLANCA going for $170,000. That made me curious and I tuned in. I had placed a few bids that are sure to be outbid. I was watching this one, but had NOT bid on it. Are you crazy? I got a re-release poster earlier this year and this was nearly $1000. PASS!  But then they announced that there was a change in the description, that yes it was on linen (crap---this is now my 4th linen poster. Grr. HATE linen), but that --unlike described--it had NEVER been folded. Something in my (little) brain clicked and I BID! It was $1200. EEEK!  Hopefully someone else would outbid me? No one did. Holy F&%#! $1,434 with buyer's premium. This is now the most expensive poster I ever purchased. CRAP-A-RAMA DING DONG!  I can NOT afford this. But....ooooo. PSYCHO! WOW!




NOT OF THIS EARTH (linen):

STOP the car...and HOLD the presses! Holy SH*T! What the %$#@ happened? How did I end up with THIS? It was NOT even on my watch list and suddenly I find myself bidding on it. EEEK! Now my fifth poster on linen (which I had NO IDEA about when I bid...)...and really, I didn't really want this.  (It's a great poster, don't get me wrong...I just was NOT even watching this)  GRR. I knew I should have stayed away. $600 (or $717 with fees) for this. UGH!  There goes my debt again. GEEZ. I'm so stupid.




SCREAMING SKULL:

NOOOOOOOO!  No! No! No! NOOO! I'm writing this entry after work Sunday night (11/20). I came home and discovered that a bid I had placed days ago (one of several) that I was sure would be outbid (as the others were) was NOT...and I am the proud owner of this SCREAMING SKULL poster. Oh my. While it is stunning and features a marvelous gimmick (free burial if you die of fright while watching), how the hell am I going to afford this additional $380 ($454 with fees). Oh GOD! I'm doomed... But what a snazzy poster! Oooo.  Shazbot!  And...WHAT THE HECK!?! Heritage is only accepting e-checks or regular checks this auction. Huh? I've always paid with Paypal before. Hmm... Time to get creative with my finances so I can cough up almost $3,000 ( $2,858.44 ) pronto. Ugh--what a nightmare (albeit with pretty posters in it).




Happy Thanksgiving!

(Glad I'll be working 12 hours and making holiday pay today...I NEED it! Ha!)



Now let the feasting begin...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this