Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 156

May 01, 2017, 12:59:38 AM 




It's May! Happy (almost) summer! While many will soon be dreaming of hitting the beach and catching a wave...here, in Central California it's work, work, work as usual (Well, I'm in the middle of a little vacation right now....BUT...). In between work days, this summer I want to concentrate on getting my posters cataloged, put away and hung...and send some away to sell, hopefully (and basically STOP shopping/spending. ARGH!). Kowabunga! So, I am taking some time off from my regular posting.  Here's my latest--but also my LAST--- regular post for a while, possibly/probably all summer. I may pop in now and again to share updates on my home poster progress...but I won't be posting poster updates. Whatever. Here's my latest (and, for now, LAST) batch o' posters. You decide if this batch is hanging ten...or a complete wipe out.



Surf's up...and so are the posters! Take a look:


THE MERMAIDS OF TIBURON:

Let's start off this last post with a splash!  It's THE MERMAIDS OF TIBURON. I already have this poster---hopefully this is an upgrade...but also another reason i need to take a BREAK. I keep buying 2nd copies of things. Speaking of 2nd copies...this movie had two incarnations. After the initial release of THE MERMAIDS OF TIBURON, it was re-released as AQUA SEX and had several topless inserts placed into the film. How fishy.




BETTER OFF DEAD:

"Where's my $2?" I may have this already...but up until I got this, I didn't think so (and that's all the more reason to be taking a break from shopping and spend time organizing. Jeepers---what if I already have several of these? UGH!). This is probably my favorite of John Cusack's films. I'll probably never hang this poster, but it's fun to have.




LOCH NESS HORROR:

I already have one of these, but this was a "freebie" with another poster. Love the art---much better than the actual movie.




THE LITTLE CIGARS MOB (aka LITTLE CIGARS):

Zowie---did I score a deal with this. Less than $4? Ha! It's midgetsploitation with this early 70s flick. I couldn't refuse.




MONSTROSITY (aka THE ATOMIC BRAIN):

I don't know what i was thinking buying this. I didn't need it. I do prefer this title over the alternate THE ATOMIC BRAIN (which is how it appears in its Something Weird DVD incarnation, and where I saw it). I don't even really remember it, other than it was BAD and CHEAP...kind of like this poster. Ha!




SLITHIS:

Yet another poster I already have--but still fun. Filmed in the beach town of Venice, California. Audience goers had to have "SLITHIS Survival Kits" to enter the theater...which were basically folded up pieces of paper inviting you to join the SLITHIS Fan Club. Joy...





ROGUE ONE:

A STAR WARS poster gotten fairly inexpensively. Hopefully it will go up in value.




MAN IN THE DARK (3D version):

Yes, I already have other copies of this vintage 3D poster (as well as copies of the 2D version). This is hopefully an upgrade. LOVE my 3D posters...




PRIVATE HOUSE OF THE SS (Italian 2 foglio):

Another upgrade. The others I've gotten from Italy did not fair so well in the mail. This one looks pretty darn nice.





DEMON OF PARADISE:

I picked this up because I love my B-movies and dig this poster. I had no idea this actually had a theatrical release until I saw this poster. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON monster ripoff in a cheesy movie---but fun poster.




PAJAMA PARTY:

Yikes, yet ANOTHER title I already have...and another upgrade. PAJAMA PARTY was an offshoot of the BEACH PARTY flicks, but with Frankie and Annette playing different parts (while the rest of the BEACH PARTY gang pretty much play their same characters). Frankie only has a cameo (as the leader of the Martians!). Tommy Kirk fills in for the male lead (he's a Martian as well...). With songs, vintage stars well beyond their hey day, and the usual hijinks. Basically it's a BEACH PARTY movie withOUT a beach.




TALES OF TERROR:

Not the best poster on the planet---but it does feature three classic horror stars, Basil Rathbone, Vincent Price and Peter Lorre.




NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION:

Yet ANOTHER I already have...but this may be an upgrade? Hmm.






ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK:

I already have an EFNY poster, but that was the "studio style". This one is the "NSS style". There was talk that some consider the "studio style" a reprint. So.... I tracked down a NSS style finally. Yahoo. The trouble is, that although it is nice, I think my "studio style" poster is nicer. Hmm. What to do?




THE TOWERING INFERNO (Style B):

I love my 70s disaster flicks. There have not been many shown on my thread, because I have had them all for years already...with the exception of this rare B style for THE TOWERING INFERNO. I could have lived without it---but it became available...and mine. Another search ended.




JAIL BAIT:

Not only does this star a young STEVE REEVES (pre-HERCULES), but...it's one of writer/director ED WOOD JR.'s (lesser known) trash epics! YOWZA!  So it may NOT be PLAN 9 or GLEN OR GLENDA? or BRIDE OF THE MONSTER or even ORGY OF THE DEAD...but it IS Ed Wood and I am beyond thrilled. And it's in FANTASTIC condition.




THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE:

Wow!  Wow!  WOW!!!  Am i ever excited about THIS one. Cheesy, schlocky old school horror. This is such a crappy awesome flick with an equally crappy awesome poster. Both the film and the poster are notoriously cheap/low budget. It somehow makes it all BETTER. Ha! LOVE IT!  WHOO HOO!




BEDLAM:

Finally, here is the poster for the VAL LEWTON produced BORIS KARLOFF shocker from 1946, BEDLAM. While it has some issues (and was listed as VERY GOOD, but I think it should have been GOOD-VERY GOOD), it still has an overall nice presentation. I think it would look great framed and on the wall. I believe this my first piece associated with Val Lewton and it's always groovy scoring a vintage Karloff piece. From one of Bruce's recent auctions--THANK YOU, BRUCE! Cha-cha-cha!




So that's it for the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show for a while. As I said, i'll be around now and again. I'll post updates on my poster room, hanging posters, organizing, etc. Feel free to send me a note if you have questions or just want to say hello.

Have a groovy summer! I'll see you in the fall sometime (hopefully).



CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this