Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show -- Classic Collection #3


I'm B-a-a-a-c-k. with more posters I've had since BEFORE I started posting.  So sit back, relax, smoke 'em if you've got 'em (Sorry---I don't have any ashtrays handy as I don't smoke myself) and let's see what I unearth today:



KING KONG VS GODZILLA:

I love KING KONG and GODZILLA. Put them together and...well, it was a hokey but watchable monster fest the world was waiting to see (and yes, I am looking forward to the remake a few years from now).  I remember when I bought this poster on eBay years and years ago. I didn't expect to get it as it goes for such a high price usually. But somehow it became mine for far less than I (or the seller) expected.  The seller honored the deal, obviously---but he kept telling me how I had gotten a good deal on it and how he was shocked it didn't go for higher. I understand his feelings (I've been burned a couple of times the few times I tried to sell there), but lucky me! LOVE this and have it hanging in the poster room.





ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES:

Oh, I had wanted one of these posters for so long. I got this on eBay back in the day...and remarkably had very little bidding competition and got this for next to nothing. I was stunned as other copies had escaped my grasp for much more many, many times before. (Of course, this was back in the day when posters didn't cost much. $30-$50 seemed like crazy high prices then. Ha!) For years I had this hanging in my kitchen. (Where else would you hang a poster of tomatoes, killer or otherwise?) Today it hangs in the poster room/office. 





NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS:

The 2nd of the films based on DARK SHADOWS and the least popular (as it really does not harken back to the series much. The actors are the same for the most part, but only one character from the show (Angelique the witch) is in it. As a stand alone film, it is fine. But as a DARK SHADOWS story? Hmm.




THE EXORCIST / EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (re-release combo British quad):

For years, I had this hanging in my living room. It was my first British quad. I would have loved this double feature. I actually like EXORCIST II (for all of the wrong reasons). I actually saw the sequel (on HBO) BEFORE the original (unless you count peeks out the back window of our 1972 blue Ford Pinto at the drive-in where THE EXORCIST was playing on the screen behind us). I finally DID see the original in a re-release (co-billed with THE SHINING) in about 1981 when I was 15 or 16 (but passed as old enough to get into the R-Rated movie. Phew!).




THE GHOULIES:

For years I had this poster hanging above the toilet in the guest bathroom, before I had the shower added to the tub (don't want to take the chance of having steam damage). A towel rack hangs in its place now. So sad... Fun poster for a crappy (in my opinion) movie/series. I do dig the tagline: They'll get you in the end. Ha!





CANNIBAL GIRLS:

Gimmick alert! Of COURSE I had to have this poster. Anything called "Cannibal Girls" (no matter what the film is like) has to be acquired (kind of like VAMPIRE HOOKERS or GRAVEYARD TRAMPS). But to make it even more of a sure thing, it has a great gimmick! It has WARNING BELLS (so you can close your eyes if you are squeamish)!  Yowza! How fun.





SCOOBY DOO ON ZOMBIE ISLAND:

Yes, this is a video poster---but it was never released theatrically. I've always dug the Scoobster, so if I wanted posters for the movies---I had to settle for video posters. They started off with the direct-to-video movies with a lot of fanfare for what turned out to be a very decent SCOOBY DOO movie. Zoinks!





EVIL DEAD 2 - DEAD BY DAWN:

I remember buying this poster (and one for the original EVIL DEAD) from some guy on eBay, who said he had saved them to pay for his kid's college. This was several years ago---and he didn't get much for them. O' had he only waited maybe until his kid wanted to go to grad school. I had this (and the original) hanging in my living room at one time. This one was stuffed in a closet. I have not located the other as of yet. It will turn up.





HELLRAISER:

The original HELLRAISER (and it's first sequel) is an amazing horror film. It's too bad the series has devolved into the 21st century version of THE HOWLING series (with all of the bad, cheap direct-to-video sequels left and right).  I've long heard rumors of a remake---but would that really be an improvement or, like so many remakes, be an unnecessary kick in the ....    I have this poster hanging in my living room, but it's behind the TV. I placed it there because it is tall enough to see what it is over the TV screen. Pinhead is watching you...




PHANTASM:

PHANTASM is a wonderfully odd little movie that kept trying to be as cool with each succeeding sequel. The sequels never really worked for me (but they kept the actors/director employed). The last one in the series was a complete letdown. They should have just let the original film stand on its own with its quirky weirdness. It was a fun flick. This poster is hanging in my poster room.



That's it for now. I'm ONE new acquisition away from my regular poster post. I also have hundreds of posters from my pre-posting days to share with you eventually. Thanks for visiting. See you next time.



CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this