Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show -- Classic Collection #1: Movie Posters I had before the blog

Good evening...



I thought I'd do something a little different. While I am working on a post of new acquisitions, I thought I'd add a little something "new" to the mix. I gab on and on about my new purchases...but have really, more or less, ignored the stuff I've had for years before movie poster forums/social media/blogs existed (or, at least, before I stumbled on them). So, here is the first of my periodic "Classic Collection" posts. The posters may not all be "classics"--but they were mine before I ever started posting.

For this first batch, I'm digging through my framed stuff. (It's easier to find.Ha!)

Here we go-go:




GODZILLA VS MEGALON:

During the lean years of the original GODZILLA cycle, GODZILLA VS MEGALON was produced on a clearly smaller budget, with several shots recycled from previous GODZILLA outings. But coming to the USA hot on the heels of the 1976 remake of KING KONG, the distributors cleverly went with a poster that depicted Godzilla and Megalon battling it out on the World Trade Center, where Kong had just appeared. Two monsters duking it out instead of just one? Yowza! The film was a hit---but the scene depicted on the poster is NOT in the film. Ha! Groovy poster though.




THE SHE-BEAST/THE EMBALMER (combo):

I had been in love with this poster long before I ever got a copy. Not only is it a double feature (Oooooo) of two very groovy sounding movies (ahhhhh), but the "This is HORROR!! This is TERROR!!" verbiage hooked me. The artwork (especially on THE EMBALMER) is nifty, too. While I've not yet seen THE SHE-BEAST (with BARBARA STEELE--YOWZA!), I was eventually able to view THE EMBALMER...and, well, snore. The poster is way better.



THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (New Line):

Yes, this is just a re-release...but I am fine with it. It has the same artwork and I don't need the original Bryanston version. I first saw THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (finally) on a double bill with the original EVIL DEAD (in its first run---it opened here with TCM as a co-feature. WOWZA! What a great double feature that was). I would like to call attention to the waves visible in the poster. This is not water damage or anything like that. It's the frames. I have about 200 frames from a place a decade or so ago that hold the posters in place in a sort of spring-loaded way---which causes the waves. Any idea how I can fix that (other than replacing the frames)? Thanks!



THE VAMPIRE:

I had never heard of this flick before I bought the poster. It came with two other titles---THE CYCLOPS and another about a WEREWOLF---all vintage from the 50s, I've since seen this flick---eeeh. Instead of being bit by a vampire (spoiler), the guy who becomes a "vampire" in this does so by accidentally ingesting an experimental drug. Fairly snore-inducing...Cool poster, though.



I BURY THE LIVING:

This movie has a cool little premise---but a lame ending. I wish someone would remake it and do it right. But I so dig the bargain basement-looking poster with cheesy verbiage on it. LOVE it!




THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (Military re-release):

Obtaining Universal horror titles is almost impossible, at least for me. When I came across this military re-release poster, I hemmed and hawed. The two-color military poster looked so "eh" compared to the wondrous colorful original and Reel-Art re-release posters. Ultimately I decided to get it---and I am glad I did. I really have come to like it and have it hanging in my bedroom.




ISLAND OF THE DOOMED:

This was one of the very first posters I ever got...certainly within the first five or so.  It took forever for me to track down the movie and give it a watch. Soooo hokey. Nothing great. The poster is better. The pretty cheesy "vampire tree" is only really seen in the last few minutes. But i have always dug this poster. You'll never forget the clutching horror! Ha!



PEYTON PLACE:

PEYTON PLACE is a guilty pleasure. I knew growing up that PEYTON PLACE was supposed to be shocking and scandalous. I tracked down and read the two original books and eventually caught the movies. The movies were not nearly as good---but the first film did click a bit with me, though (even though it comes across as PEYTON PLACE-lite compared to the novel). I  scored the one sheet....but had a heck of a time tracking down the one sheet for the sequel. Director Mark Robson is also responsible for disappointing translation (but brilliantly, unintentionally campy version) of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and the over-the-top disaster favorite EARTHQUAKE! Ha!



PINK FLAMINGOS (re-release):

I love John Waters and  dig his flicks---especially the pre-HAIRSPRAY ones. Getting to see PINK FLAMINGOS in the theater back in the 90s was a real treat. Re-release or not, of course I had to get the poster. I don't believe there was ever a one sheet created for PINK FLAMINGOS in its original release any way.



HALLOWEEN:

At one time I had a HALLOWEEN poster with the blue ratings box. I'd gotten it for about $10 with a couple of other posters in a lot. However, the center vertical fold was "off", going up through the "w" instead of the "o". I thought it might be a fake and sold it. I got about $100 for it---but I could kick myself. This was before I understood what a tri-folded poster was. I believe my blue ratings box HALLOWEEN had been a tri-fold that someone had folded in half, causing the crease. GRRR. I'll never score an original blue ratings box copy now...but this is a nice compromise. I got this copy BEFORE I sold off the other copy, when it was still affordable. I dig the poster, of course, and have it hanging in my poster room/office. However, it reminds me every time I see it how stupid I had been to let the other one go. Oh well.  Someone else is enjoying it.




NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD:

Hooray! I had long wanted one of these---who wouldn't? I had DAWN OF THE DEAD, but needed the classic that started the whole zombie thang. At the time I got this, they were selling for about $1,000 plus. The copy I got was being sold by an estate company on eBay. It was professionally framed and matted. The matting made it look like it might have been trimmed. I think the matting may have scared some bidders off and I got this for far less than expected. Phew!  Of course, I had to wait for the poster/frame to arrive. I peeled back the back paper and took a look. It was the complete, untrimmed poster in gorgeous condition. Hooray!  I have it hanging in the hallway in all of its black and white (and green) late 60s gut-munching glory.




And that's it for now. It's time for me to boogie on outta here. Thanks for visiting.




CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this