Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show -- Classic Collection #6



Welcome back! It's another look at my "classic collection"--posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. This time, we are surrounded by more "classic" books that never existed (the leftovers from before---and these really are the last of 'em. Promise!). Let's see what I dug up today, shall we?

DIARY OF THE DEAD:

Yet another sequel to the amazing NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. George Romero churned out six of these--NIGHT, DAWN, DAY, LAND, DIARY, and SURVIVAL (OF THE DEAD). They were not always great---and none after equaled the shock of the first two--but they were all at least good and better than a lot of the other junk that has gone straight to video.





KING KONG LIVES:

One of the all-time worst sequels/movies---I loved it! Ha! So bad it was awesome. So, of COURSE, I had to have the poster. If you have not seen this flick, you owe it to yourself to do so...for it's jaw-dropping unbelievability. See KONG get a Volkswagen-sized artificial heart. See KONG and "Lady Kong" (really!) escape together and spend a romantic night on Honeymoon Ridge (really!). See the birth of (totally out of proportion) "Baby Kong"! You'll be amazed this was ever released---let alone MADE! Zowie! You just can't make crap like this up. Ha!





JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (remake lenticular):
Yes, I rushed out to see this. NOT because I thought the movie would be good, but because it was in 3D.  This was, I think, the first BIG hit in the modern 3D revival. I wasn't thrilled with the film--nor was I thrilled with the posters for it, but I was lucky (?) enough to snag the lenticular version. Now i just need the lightbox to hang it in. (Sorry for the reflection of the other posters on my wall)




SHARKBOY AND LAVAGIRL (lenticular):
No, I did NOT see this flick...but gladly bought this poster for it as it was a groovy lenticular. Love those lenticulars...



MOTHER'S DAY:

This was an awesome, yet harrowing, movie. I believe it was unrated. In many ways, it reminded me of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. Thrilled with the poster. Classick horror.





GRINDHOUSE:

I was fortunate enough to go to the sneak preview showing of this in my town. I expected the theater to be packed and got there hours early. Not many people were there. I was stunned. When the film flopped, I was equally stunned. While I wasn't a fan of DEATH PROOF, i loved PLANET TERROR and all of the fake trailers (I'm still hoping they'll actually make THANKSGIVING like they did with MACHETE). 







WEEKEND MURDERS and THE BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA (combo re-release):

I dig having this combo double feature poster more than I would having posters for each individual film (which I may have?). I love the images and the double feature adds to the cheesiness of it all. No, I've never seen either flick. Do I need to?




CONAN THE BARBARIAN (remake):

I won this poster in a contest promoting the film---and I am thrilled about it. I saw the flick in 3D. It was okay. However, what makes this poster special is because it is autographed by three of the stars in it; Jason Momoa, Rose McGowan and Rachel Nichols.


Rose McGowan

Jason Momoa

Rachel Nichols



CORPSE BRIDE:

Tim Burton's stop-motion follow-up to A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS was not the big hit Jack Skellington's flick was---but it was still quite visually stunning in Burton's own unique way. I dig the poster. 





MULHOLLAND DR.:

Here is the other style of poster for David Lynch's masterpiece (I posted the other style a while back). Of COURSE I needed these. Love my David Lynch stuff. I'm savoring the 25-years-later third season of TWIN PEAKS now. I am glad to see Naomi Watts (from this film) appearing in the series. 





SILENT MADNESS:

Here's one of the 80s 3D flicks I missed---as it NEVER played here. Waaaagh! Although i am sure it is crap-o-rama awful, i'd love to see it in axe-n-your-face 3D. Zowie!




FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER and CURSE OF THE VOODOO (half sheet):

The first time I ever heard of this movie or saw the poster art for it was when I stumbled on the auction for this half sheet. WOW! The poster was in rough condition---something I would normally avoid---and was a half sheet (I also avoid those) but I HAD to have it. I bid way, way, WAY too much---but I really needed it. I won it and had it framed. I was have since gotten a pristine one sheet for this combo---which is hanging in my hallway now. Crappy movie---but I LOVE the poster.




Okay--that was actually 12 posters (instead of my usual 10)(I was using up all of the "book" spacer photos). There are LOTS more in the closests, boxes,and tubes. Stay tuned. And now, what an ordeal. It's time to get some rest. Tomorrow is another day.





CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this