Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 36

August 27, 2015, 08:52:06 PM 


Here's another 10 from earlier this year BEFORE I started this page:

ECCO:

"Ecco" is another mondo-type documentary that came out in the 1960s to cash in on the sensation created by "Mondo Cane" and its sequel. Narrated by George Saunders, it's a hodge-podge of strange customs and rituals around the world (reindeer castration by teeth anyone? Done as a way to win your mate. I know I look for someone who can castrate with teeth when I look for a mate. NOT!). The poster is about as hodge-podgey as the film itself.




BAYOU:

"Bayou" is a low budget melodrama set in the Louisiana swamp lands and stars a young Peter ("Mission Impossible" ) Graves from 1957. It went no where at the box office, so some enterprising showman bought the film, added in new scenes (with stand ins) that conveyed a rape scene (that was not part of the original story), re-titled the flick "Poor White Trash" and, with an exploitive ad campaign, made big bucks! (A similar stunt was pulled on a 1974 flick called "Scum of the Earth". It was rechristened "Poor White Trash 2" and, paired together, both films played drive ins for years!)





GREMLINS:

I should have had a copy of the original "Gremlins" poster ages ago, but they always seemed to elude me. Not this one. SOLD!!!! This is the classic poster for the cool 80s flick. I'll be careful not to feed it after midnight and not to get it wet! Ha!




THE MINOTAUR:

Here is another wannabe "Hercules" clone from 1961, "The Minotaur" starring former Olympic star Bob Mathias. I haven't seen this (yet), but love those old "sword & sandel/peplum" flicks (or, I simply refer to them as "Hercules movies" even though Herc is NOT in most of them). A double bonus for wanting this is that Mathias was actually from a small town near here (Tulare). Somehow I don't think he was nearly as buff as he is portrayed in the illustration. Ha!



THE SADIST:

This poster is for the cheesy-sleazy 1963 trash fest (that is strangely compelling--yes, even though it stars Arch Hall Jr.) "The Sadist". Great poster! I was thrilled to score it. Even the poster has a wonderfully sleazy look to it.





MOTHER GOOSE' BIRTHDAY PARTY:

I've never seen this old kiddie matinee mess from K. Gordon Murray called "Mother Goose' Birthday Party"....but I hear it is awful. I've long had a hankering to track down this old kiddie matinee posters. I prefer the ones by "Childhood Productions" (usually presented in "Storybook Color" and "Never before seen anywhere"), but also really dig the K. Gordon Murray ones as well. (Barry Mahon also made several--but the posters for those are not nearly as interesting.) Why aren't these out on video? They're so AWFUL! Ha!




THE LAST CIRCUS:

"The Last Circus" is a Spanish horror movie I've heard great things about. I have it on DVD, but have not seen it yet. I know it only had a limited US release,so I didn't want to miss my chance when I saw this come up for sale...especially if it goes on to cult status.





JOHNNY FIRECLOUD:

I've never seen "Johnny Firecloud"--and the poster is not really attractive at all to me. However, the film,which is out on Something Weird Video, has been gaining a bit of a cult reputation. I'll track it down eventually. It was another cheap buy, so why not?




NIGHTMARES:

Eh... "Nightmares" is a forgettable anthology film with ho-hum scares. The poster is only marginably interesting, with the eys and hands reaching out. It was $3. Ha! Bargain...but I should have/could have PASSED on it (I probably already have one anyway...). Oh well.





HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI:

"How To Stuff A Wild Bikini" is the last of the Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello beach party movies. Though AIP would crank out one more ("Ghost in the Invisible Bikini" withOUT Frankie and Annette) and other imitators were still making some ("Catalina Caper" for example), this was the end of the party for Frankie and Annette. Frankie isn't in it much, as he is away in the navy (but has had a witch doctor spying on Annette via a magical pelican)! Annette, still a virgin, but visibly pregnant with her real-life child...tries desperately to remain true to Frankie, fight off the advances of Tommy Kirk, and conceal her bulging belly. As cheesy as these films are, I like 'em. I already have a copy of this, but it was also cheap. NOW that I finally got my hands on the poster for the original "Beach Party" last April, my Frankie and Annette beach party collection is complete. Now to track down some of the posters for the OTHER wanna be beach movies...(I.e. "Catalina Caper", the "Gidget" flicks, etc.).




And that's 10. ALMOST done moving stuff over. Stay tuned.

Thanks for stopping by.

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this