Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 40

 September 02, 2015, 09:39:28 PM

Uh oh... I did a bad, BAD thing. Hot on the heels of the big purchase I couldn't afford earlier this week, I bought another poster. ARGH!  I couldn't help myself. It was one of the few H.G. Lewis vintage horror posters I needed (bringing my "need" list down to just TWO titles of his) and, although it was pricey (for me), I didn't want to chance not seeing another for 10 years or so since I rarely see them. So I bid. I'll spare you the story of how I paid for it--but I will say I had NO money in the bank and NO room on the credit cards. EEEK! I do get paid tomorrow--so it was just an "advance". But I couldn't let this one slip away...

The poster is for H.G. Lewis'...

THE GRUESOME TWOSOME: 

Although NOT the best poster...and NOT the best of Lewis' handful of horror flicks from the 60s/early 70s, this is one of the first of his that I actually saw (on VHS). Not as gory as BLOOD FEAST or any of his other flicks by far, GRUESOME TWOSOME tries hard in its tale of a little old lady and her crazy son who have a wig shop that sells wigs with real human hair. Guess where they get it from? Predating "Maniac" by about 10 years, the scalping effects are very primitive and cheesy...but effective enough for this primitive and cheesy movie. It also contains two talking styrofoam wig heads at the beginning and end of the film. Weird. Wonderful. And now the poster is MINE!



Also a bit of mystery today. A few years back when I went back to school to become a nurse, I moved everything out of my 4-bedroom house into a tiny,cramped mother-in-law apartment behind the garage of a house my mother owns and rents out to a family. It's awful. All of my stuff is in here piled up all around me. I have little paths that lead here and there--like a hoarders house, but if/when I ever get back into my house, everything will have a place again.

Anyway, the mysterious part was that I was rearranging some of my more than 200 framed posters (BIG mistake on my part, trying to frame all of my posters---do you know how much room that takes? UGH!), and I was looking at a few as I was moving them. "Dawn of the Dead", "Suspiria", "Night of the Living Dead", blank... Huh? BLANK?  Yes, there was a frame with NO poster in it. I can NOT for the life of me think of any reason there would be a blank, empty frame. Once a poster was framed, it stayed framed. I sold two posters that had been framed (stupid of me---they were the original "LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT" and "GIGANTIS THE FIRE MONSTER", aka "GODZILLA 2". I'll never get replacements for them now that things are sooo pricey), and popped new things in those frames right away. I haven't sold a poster in ages nor do I just let frames sit empty. So where did it go--and what poster was it? BIZARRE! I just can't imagine why it's empty and what was in it. Hmm.

But I think I'll fill it with my recently purchased "KING KONG" '56 purchase. I've wanted that poster for sooooo long.

Anyway, thanks for stopping in.

See you next time.

CHEERS!

September 04, 2015, 08:25:14 PM

Not long ago (earlier this week?) I had "won" the poster for "EEGAH" and posted a photo of myself with the star of "EEGAH", Richard Kiel, best known for playing the villainous JAWS character in the James Bond thrillers THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER. I met him for an interview I did on him back in 2009. Neo asked for the recorded interview or a copy of the printed final version. I couldn't find either, so I asked the newspaper to send me a copy of the magazine. I got it today and scanned the article. Oh my. I cringe when I see it now. I haven't thought about this article in years, but when I see it today--ugh!  This was right about the time the newspaper industry started to tank. The powers that be decided to make things more appealing to readers by revamping the stories to be more reader friendly and local. The formatting "Why he's famous"/"Valley connection" are all a part of that. I especially cringed when I was reminded of the "Fast Facts" aspect at the beginning of the article. (Which eventually morphed into "Fun Facts") Blah! All NOT my idea. But that is why a lot of my celebrity interviews eventually faded away...as they were trying to be more local. I only got to interview celebs after that if I was doing a travel story that somehow incorporated them (like an article on visiting Hollywood at Halloween mentioned a celebrity show where people can meet their favorite stars. There is one every October, so I had a celebrity in that. I also had to do some awful articles on some of the National Parks. I sort of know Susan Olsen who was Cindy on the Brady Bunch. I used her when writing about Pearl Harbor and the Grand Canyon! I had been to neither place at that time and she had--on the show decades earlier! Ha! I got away with it too. But you should have seen my editors faces. "Cindy Brady? REALLY?" They'd just look at me and shake their heads. Ha!

Anyway--as crappy as it is (and the first scan is really hard to read--sorry!), here is the Richard Kiel article as well as the photos I had taken with him that day.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this