Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 42

October 10, 2015, 01:23:27 AM

Hi there!  I'm back from my trip, but STILL on a medical leave for me leg. UGH! No more paychecks and the disability insurance has still NOT kicked in. No nibbles on my house either. I am doomed. However, as much as I was going to, i have not exactly shied away from buying posters altogether...because I am an ADDICT and because I have one credit card (that was almost paid off) that I took on the trip with me. I ended up NOT using it that much and, when my friends went off to go hiking or something I couldn't do because of my knee, I'd sit on the terrace, watch the sea turtles frolicking in the surf, and go poster shopping!  ARGH!!!!  (I also sent Ari a postcard. Did you get it yet? Ha! Thanks again for the wonderful, WONDERFUL surprise package! Wow!)

My posters this time are my attempts to add a little more international flair to my collection. The first batch are from Spain...ole!


BLACK CANDLES: 

Although the Spanish title "The Sexual Rites of the Devil" is way cooler sounding than the US title, "Black Candles" (which i own on DVD and have seen---and have absolutely NO memory of. Did it ever play theatrically?), the Spanish poster had an undeniable creepy coolness factor. Sex,depravity and aberration? Sold!




MARK OF THE WOLFMAN/FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR: 

Although Frankenstein's monster appears nowhere in this and it was only saddled with the title "Frankenstein's Bloody Terror" to appease theater owners who were promised a Frankenstein movie, this is actually the very first of the long string of Paul Naschy werewolf movies. I got it fairly cheap and thought it was a good deal. Not only is it the first Naschy werewolf flick, but it's also a country of origin poster as well. Apparently it was also made in 3D, which was presented here as being "Super 70 Chill-a-Rama"!  Zowie! Wish I had seen it back in the day...




MURDER MANSION:

I know nothing about this movie (but have since ordered it from eBay--uber cheap). However reviews on IMDB make it seem like a spooky little horror flick that might be right up my alley. Poster is so-so...still kind of cool and also a country of origin poster. Why not!?




CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST:

I would love to have the US one sheet for this--alas, it has yet to happen. However, I came across this Spanish poster for the famous Italian gut-muncher cannibal epic and was blown away by the graphic and horrific images on the poster--and couldn't pass it up. Jeepers! That would have freaked me out if I saw that in the theater lobby as the next attraction as a kid! Ha!




CANNIBAL TERROR:

While I still had my craving (for human flesh? Ha! No--POSTERS!), I thought I'd pick up this silly and very cheap-o-rama Spanish poster for "Cannibal Terror". I actually saw this flick just before my trip on DVD. Hilariously bad. At one point while in the native village, cars can be seen driving by in the distance. Ha! This is a Spanish-French co-production that came late in the cannibal wave of the 70s and early 80s.  But you know how those pesky cannibals in the unexplored regions off of the Riviera or in the Pyrenees Mountains are (maybe they're just confused Basques?). What a silly-lame poster for a silly-lame movie. Had to have it.





Of course, I've really been wanting to try Thai. I finally bit the bullet and went shopping--with mixed results (but hey--this was my first Thai experience! Be gentle with me... Ha!)


CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2 / THE GREEN INFERNO:

Okay--last cannibal poster. Promise!  This is a Thai poster for "Cannibal Holocaust 2"--in name only. I researched it a bit and apparently the film started life as a TV movie called "The Green Inferno" (no relation to Eli Roth's current film of the same name)...that is actually devoid of cannibals altogether! Ha! How could I say no after getting my other two cannibal posters? And hello? It's Thai! I had to try it.




LATITUDE ZERO:

I've never heard of this flick, but there's so much fun and imaginative stuff going on in this Thai poster that I thought I'd pick it up. It wasn't too expensive any way.




SPIDER LABYRINTH: 

My big Thai regret is this poster for "Spider Labyrinth". Why regret? Well, the image is creepy cool enough, but it's the same image used on the Italian poster (and this is an Italian movie). I've also seen it on English posters. There's just nothing Thai-ish about it. Nothing that makes those groovy Thai posters that others have been buying just POP and do their US one sheet counterparts shame. Oh well...




THE AWAKENING:

Another quasi-disappointment (the jury is still out on this one). "The Awakening" is a dud of a movie. I probably should have passed on this poster--but, like the "Latitude Zero" poster, there is so much happening in this one I thought why not? Hmm...



THE BOOGEY MAN:

This is a great example of a Thai poster taking a US one sheet image and bumping it to the next level. Like the US version, there is a frightened woman at a window. The extra shards of glass (or, in keeping with the movie's plot, perhaps they are pieces of mirror?) with horrific scenes from the film on them really punches this poster up. Not as cool as some of the fully original Thai pieces (such as the awesome "Apocalypse Now" or "Escape From New York" Thais), but it worked well enough for me to buy this one.




I do have a few more, but they can wait. Anyone know of an AA-type program for poster addicts? I have NO BUSINESS shopping now. EEEK!

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this