Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION #22*#

Here is another re-creation followed by several posts about one of the posters that had unforeseen issues that the auction house notified me about after I "won" it:

June 02, 2015, 11:38:17 PM 

Hi there. Golly,thanks everyone for visiting while I was working the last few days. I appreciate your company and am always happy to see you.

Here's a peek at what bankrupted me tonight:

MONSTER HOUSE:
"Monster House" lenticular. This is cool. I saw one hanging in a theater once and had to have it. This lenticular moves in that it shows the boy standing in front of a house. As you move around the poster, the house morphs into a monster house. This image is about mid-transformation. Zowie! How neat-o! This isn't a picture of my poster, though. It's one found on the internet as an example.





THIS IS CINERAMA:
"This Is Cinerama". This is an early 70s re-release, but I've never seen the original poster available and I'm a sucker for a gimmick. Zowie! How cool it must have been to see something in Cinerama. Love this audience on a rollercoaster image--too wild!






RUMPLESTILTSLIN:
Here's another kiddie matinee poster for my collection, K Gordon Murray's imported/dubbed "Rumplestiltskin"!





PINOCCHIO IN OUTER SPACE:
And here is "Pinocchio in Outer Space"!!!  NOT a kiddie matinee, but when I came across this poster years ago (never able to get it--drat!), it's vibrant color and energy won me over. Had to have it! And it (proudly and prominently) features the voice Arnold Stang! Ha!





BWANA DEVIL:
The next two are super big bucket list items---oh my stars!  The first is the very first feature-length 3D movie that started the 3D craze of the 1950s....  "Bwana Devil"!!  A lion in your lap---a lover in your arms!  WOW! As a hoarder...er, lover of gimmick posters, this is a HUGE coup for me.







WHITE SLAVES OF CHINATOWN:
Finally, the biggest (i.e. most expensive and rarest?) bucket list find of recent times is "White Slaves of Chinatown"---the first in the infamous "Olga" series (it was followed by "Olga's House of Shame"--what a great title. Ha!, "Olga's Girls", "Madame Olga's Massage Parlor"--which is sadly considered a "lost film" as no prints are known to exist, and "Olga's Dance Hall Girls"--which is so awful and features an impostor "Olga", but is somehow still my favorite). The Olga films are cheap mid-60s nudie roughies. They are laughably bad/cheap. There is no synchronized sound--or very little. The story is mostly told with a narrator and classical music. In the b&w flicks, girls are abducted and tortured and forced into prostitution, drugs, etc. Sleazy but silly by today's standards. All very hokey. This was the very first time emovieposter.com featured this poster for auction (so said a little blurb on the bottom of the listing). Yowza. It's a crappy poster really, but I am sooooo thrilled.





CHEERS!

June 03, 2015, 01:00:35 PM

Oh man!  I have a problem with my "WHITE SLAVES OF CHINATOWN" poster. I deleted it last night from my "bucket list" and went to bed. This morning I received this email:


Shawn,

This is Bruce. After the auction for WHITE SLAVES OF CHINATOWN closed, we discovered that the poster had part of the bottom border trimmed off (approximately 1 1/4"). The poster measures 27" x 39 3/4".

It was clearly visible in the image of the poster, but was not mentioned in the condition description.

If you want to cancel the poster, that is fine. If you do, we will offer it to the underbidder (we reviewed the bidding, and we imagine there is a good chance he will want it).

So please let us know ASAP if you want to keep it or if we should offer it to the underbidder.

I very much apologize for this error. I have talked to the people involved, and we will make a greater effort to not miss defects like this.

Please reply soon.

Thanks,
Bruce


Golly. I'm crushed. It's a very rare poster and one I really had been searching for. It was only in Good to Very Good condition due to staple holes and clear tape being applied to the back where the holes were--and now has the trimmed bottom. The poster was more than $400 (a fortune to me). The poster is more than 50 years old and this was the first time this particular site had offered it. That's how rare it is.

I now need to decide if I want to keep the trimmed poster or release it for a refund. I'm NOT into linen so linen backing and repair are not really an option. Hmm. I need to decide QUICKLY.

What would you do?

Thanks!


June 03, 2015, 02:08:54 PM

Here are my replies:

Hi Bruce.

Oh NOooooo. I am just heart sick that it's trimmed. I read about the tape on the back but there was no mention, as you said, about it not being the whole poster. I am just soooo crushed. I have wanted this poster for years and years--and now I don't know what to do. Golly, while $409 is a small fortune to me, I wasn't going to lose this poster. I had stopped bidding on two other posters ("Have Rocket Will Travel" and "Joys of Jezebel"--which I also dearly wanted) because I suspected that "White Slaves" (which was only about $100 then) might get expensive. (It did!). I actually deleted it off of my "bucket list" of posters last night before going to bed. Waaagh! I just don't know what to say.

I'm NOT a linenbacking fan at all. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting it done, who is reputable and who isn't, or the cost. I just don't know what to do or say. Spend $409 for a trimmed poster or let my years-long hunt go on?

I am sure Mr. Runner up will want it. I'm not sure if I want to let it go--but it's not a whole poster. Hmm. What would YOU do? You are the expert... (Ha!) Could you give me a discount at all?

Golly. Can I have a few hours to think about it and get back to you by the end of the day? Dang. I just don't know what to do.

Thank you.

***

And then this second note:

Okay... I've thought about it, looked at the poster again (I noticed you added the fact that it was trimmed to the description now), and looked at the bidding history. While I am still just sick about it being trimmed, I thought I would suggest this. I will pass on the poster to Mr. Runner Up (La713294) bidder. If he takes it for his last bid of $399, so be it. If he passes for $399, that would make me 2nd runner up (over Th455102, whose last top bid was $164) at $169. I'll take it then.

I'm probably kissing this poster goodbye.

Man. What a horrendous bummer.

Thanks!

****

I'm sure Mr. Runner Up (LA713294) will take it. Bye bye poster... Oh well. It was mine for a few hours at least...

Thanks for the help and the words of wisdom.*

CHEERS!

*You know who.



June 03, 2015, 03:59:07 PM

Waaagh...it's gone.

Here's the note from Bruce:

Shawn,

We will offer it to the underbidder. If he doesn't want it, we will re-auction it, mentioning the trimmed bottom border.

We will let you know what happens. We will get the poster taken out of your order and we will refund you the portion you paid for it.

Again, I apologize for this mistake.

Thanks,
Bruce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this