Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 30

August 11, 2015, 07:34:06 PM


As I was going through mail yesterday (I had it held while I was on my trip. It all arrived yesterday), I opened a box of posters that I had completely forgotten about (so dazed was I by the fallout from the Heritage auctions...). The day of the Heritage auctions, another poster auction was closing. I had put in some snipes for things and promptly forgotten about them. I "won" 3 of them--and apparently paid for them as well--but have zero memory of it all. Ha! Anyway--here are the three bonus posters I had forgotten I had won. Again, these are NOT "new" posters since the Heritage fiasco. These are same day auctions I bid on before Heritage wiped me out.  Enjoy or don't. Cheers...

THE TINDER BOX:
The least exciting is "The Tinder Box"--a kiddie matinee poster from Childhood Productions (my favorite kiddie matinee company. They had the best posters) presented in Storybook Color!  I probably already had this poster, but wasn't sure.



INFERNO:
Next,oh my stars...it's another vintage 1950s 3D poster!  This one is INFERNO (which was recently released on 3D blu ray. I bought a copy, but don't have a 3D blu ray player or a 3D tv yet. Ha!). The poster is not in as good of shape as the photo would have you believe, but it's still presentable and I am thrilled. I have so few 3D posters from the 50s.




FROGS:
The last is the ecological horror flick "FROGS" from the early 70s (starring Ray Milland and a very young Sam Elliot and Joan Van Ark). There are no giant frogs in the movie, but you gotta dig the frog with the arm hanging out of its mouth. Zowie! I've wanted a "FROGS" for years. Apparently the Heritage auction diverted everyone away from this auction and "FROGS" (and the other two) became mine.



And that's it. NOTHING else to share now...and probably nothing else to share for a long, LONG time to come.

I'll see you all around.

August 17, 2015, 05:31:23 PM

Okay, these are NOT "new" posters. These are posters I already own. I am just trying to move all of the images from the one page I had on that other website I started to this one. These are all  things I bought in 2015, but before I joined allposterforum. Here we go--first batch:

THE MAN WHO CRIED WOLF:
First, I am most thrilled with this poster acquisition from earlier this year---and it is 78 years old! It's Universal's "The Man Who Cried Wolf"! In 1937, Universal already had "Dracula" (1931), "Frankenstein" (1931), "The Mummy" (1932) and "The Invisible Man" (1933) under its belt. "The Wolfman" wouldn't show up until 1941, but it was still a time when the studio, which was doing very well with horror thrillers (and their sequels), was at its peak. "The Man Who Cried Wolf" is a lesser mystery/thriller (but hello? Do you think I'll ever be able to afford one of the better known film's posters? NOT!). It's just beautiful! Look at the colors and that cool old-style lettering of the title. I just love this and am so lucky to get it!



THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (Re-release):
Speaking of Universal, at the beginning of the year I also got the re-release poster for "The Invisible Woman". It's not much of a poster--the folds are a bit rough and there is staining in the left border (something I'd usually avoid buying, but this title at the price I got it at...I turned a blind eye to the problem)---but it IS for a film in the classic Universal "Invisible" series.

Realart was the company that re-released all of the old Universal horror flicks from the late 40s through the 60s. The posters for the Realart releases, while cheaper than the original posters from the original releases, are still very expensive (usually in the thousands for top titles). This title is not a top title--and, as I said, the art work isn't the best. But... I couldn't let it slip by!




THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT:
A far-cry from the Universal epics of yesteryear, "The Amazing Transplant" is an "adults only" (Gasp! There was--NUDITY in it. Oh my STARS!) late 60s piece o' trash by cult filmmaker Doris ("Nudes on the Moon", "Bad Girls Go To Hell", "Deadly Weapons" ) Wishman. If you've never seen a Wishman movie, you have no idea how deliriously awful-yet-wonderful they can be! "Amazing Transplant" was my introduction to Wishman's work and, as crappy bad as it is, i love it! See the camera focus on lamps, ashtrays, paintings---anything but the actors. Why? Because all of her dialogue is looped in AFTERWARDS. By not showing the actors when they are speaking, it makes it easier to dub the voices in later. How this trash was ever released is beyond me. However,I am floored to have finally gotten a copy of this rare poster!




ATLAS:
If you have ever flipped through the pages of my collection thread (instead of skipping right to the most recent entries), you'll have noted that I love the old sword & sandal/peplum movies of the 50s/60s, especially the ones that featured monsters or magic. I refer to them simply as "Hercules movies"--even though the character Hercules was only in a handful of them. Hercules is nowhere to be seen in "Atlas", B-movie legend Roger Corman's entry into the muscle man movie craze of the period. Michael Forest, who played "Atlas" also played Greek god Apollo in an original Star Trek episode.



SUBURBAN ROULETTE:
H.G. Lewis was often referred to as the "Godfather of Gore". Back before movies like "Friday the 13th" or "Dawn of the Dead" made blood and gore so popular in horror movies, Lewis was utilizing it in a string of drive in flicks from the mid-60s through the early 70s. Films like "Blood Feast", "The Gore-Gore Girls", "The Wizard of Gore", "The Gruesome Twosome", "2000 Maniacs", "Color Me Blood Red", etc showed blood and entrails splattered across the screen--in a way that had never been so shockingly shown before.

Not all of his movies are horror/gore flicks. This poster is for his 60s swingers in suburbia epic, "Suburban Roulette" (1968). Tame by today's standards (and available in its entirety on YouTube. Ha!), this is grindhouse fare all of the way. While I'll always prefer a poster for one of Lewis' horror flicks, I'm thrilled to get any paper from any of his films...including this one.




ELIMINATORS:
"Eliminators" was one of the last low-budget drive-in/grindhouse-type of movies to be shown in theaters during the VHS era, when all of the product of that caliber started making the shift to going "straight to video". Essentially a cheesy sci-fi flick wanting to rip-off the "Terminator" franchise (the similar title and the half man/ half machine "Mandroid" character, front and center on the poster). What fun! (And darn it...didn't I just buy another copy of this not too long ago? ARGH!)




ANNABELLE:
I should probably post something more recent. Hmmm. "Annabelle"--the horror spinoff from "The Conjuring"--is another poster I got at the beginning of the year (January 1st, i think, actually). I wasn't wild about the movie--but the doll is creepy.




HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS:
I also really dig the quasi-3D artwork for the recent "Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters". This is the international poster art--much more in-your-face interesting than the US version (look it up).




I MARRIED A WOMAN:
I have no idea what this movie is about (or why the poster has been hard to get--I was always being outbid on it over the years), but here is the poster for "I Married A Woman", the 1958 flick starring George Gobel and Diana Dors (she was Britain's answer to Marilyn Monroe). I don't understand the significance of the title--but it's kind of campy and the artwork is fun. Zowie! It's also my first Diana Dors poster (Now if only I could score a poster with the REAL Marilyn Monroe! Ha!)




DOOR TO DOOR MANIAC:
My final poster for this quasi-installment is an insert poster (a long, narrow poster--used until about the mid-80s). I've never been a fan of inserts (I prefer the full experience of the regular one-sheet movie poster), but this one was in great condition and for a fun title (never seen the movie). The movie was originally called "Five Minutes To Live", but this is it under it's wonderfully exploitative re-release title "Door To Door Maniac"! What's even better about this title is that the maniac of the re-title is played by country music legend Johnny Cash! Ha! His partner in crime is played by Vic Tayback (Mel from the old "Alice" TV series). Ron ("Happy Days", "Andy Griffith Show", "American Graffiti" )Howard is also in the film (as a little kid).



Until next time.

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this