Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 95

May 15, 2016, 08:25:11 AM

Hi there,  It's the middle of May 2016--ALREADY! Jeepers, this year is zooming on by. Here are my latest acquisitions for your perusal. I apologize about the emovieposter watermark on some of them, but the photo person there has not sent me my unmarked versions yet (watch them show up tomorrow. ha! No big deal. You can SEE what they look like anyway...)

Okay---off to the posters (and a few non-poster surprises! Oh my!)

3 ON A MEATHOOK:

I already have a copy or two of this poster, but when this one came up (and it was cheap), I just couldn't let it go. Hello? Despite the fact it is a butt-ugly poster and the movie is a pretty crappy (yet obscure) early 70s grindhouse turd-o-rama (supposedly based on the crimes of Ed Gein, the same Wisconsin wacko who was the basis for PSYCHO, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and DERANGED), the poster is rare. Snagged it.





TROUBLE MAKERS:

My second Bowery Boys poster (after my recent purchase of THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS which is cool and on page 28 of my thread: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.700.html ). I figured why not? How many Bowery Boys films there are, i have no idea. I've never seen one. I'm not wild about it--but as i said, what the heck. Right?  And who names their kid "Huntz" anyway? Whatever...




THE LIQUIDATOR:

I'm a huge James Bond fan...so it's only natural to be curious about the knockoffs that came in 007's successful wake. This one starred Rod "The Birds" Taylor and future Bond girl ("Diamonds Are Forever"), Jill St. John. I have this poster...but saw this one so cheap and bought it. I really need to STOP doing that...especially since this movie was not all that great. Sigh...




NOCTURNA:

I've never seen this disco vampiress flick from the late 70s (also known as NOCTURNA: GRANDDAUGHTER OF DRACULA), but I remember reading about it (and lots of other things) in the very first issue of FANGORIA magazine back in 1979. It's funny i remember buying that first issue and its contents so distinctly. I had never seen a magazine like that devoted to horror flicks (FAMOUS MONSTERS i had never really seen...). It's funny how "firsts" in our lives leave impressions...and later instances less so (if at all). Anyway, some day i'll track this movie down and give it a watch. It was just one of many films i read about that NEVER seemed to come out (or, at least, play in my town. Another that comes to mind was "THE COMING" with Susan Swift from AUDREY ROSE. I've been wanting to see that for years as well. Did that ever come out? Hmm...), Anyway, a movie about a disco vampiress can't SUCK too bad, can it? Hmm.





SIMBA: MARK OF MAU MAU:

Here's another poster for a movie i know absolutely nothing about. It's a 1955 flick and it stars a young Dirk Bogarde I liked it because it looked like it might fit in with my tiki-esque or cannibal-themed posters. SIMBA: MARK OF MAU MAU...Hmm, maybe this Simba guy was the original Papa Ooo Mau Mau?  I dig the skull on the end of his stick. Crazy, man! Ooo Mau Mau, Papa Ooo Mau -muh-Mau!





THE EVIL EYE:

I know nothing about this movie either, but I've seen this poster come and go over the years. I finally picked one up. I know this is NOT the movie (a short) I saw in Spain once (playing before THE WIZARD OF OZ, which had Spanish dialogue, but the songs were original English versions. Ha!). That movie I have no idea what it was called, but I've been looking for it forever. It was a short film about a woman walking around a town. She was veiled or had her face covered in some way so all you could see was one eye (which seemed to be in the middle of her face (?) ). I don't remember much of the plot or the ending, but everywhere this woman went, people ran in fear from her. It was black and white also, i think. Creepy--but nothing scary actually happened. I wish I could find this flick again. Anyway--the title (and kind of the image) remind me of that weird short--which i saw way, WAY back in 1983.




STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS:

Yes, I got one of these, even though I am not that much of a fan. I DID see the movie in the theater though. I was curious to see what happened to the characters from the original/middle trilogy. The image below is just a photo from online---not the actual poster. Mine was "free" but has a rough edge on one side and a tear in the upper corner. All could easily be hidden with framing. I just wanted to get it because these things are ridiculously expensive. Jeepers!




SON OF SINBAD:

I already have a copy of this, but this is a MUCH BETTER copy. Oooo. I don't talk about Sinbad posters that often, because i think I have all/most of the posters for the various movies already. Similar to my affection for the Tarzan series or the Hercules-type movies of the 50s and 60s (especially the ones with monsters and/or magic in them), I'm a big fan of the Sinbad films, probably because I was so enchanted with the Harryhausen Sinbads...but i also have posters for obscure Sinbad films such as "The Magic Voyage of Sinbad" (Russian), "The Lost World of Sinbad" (Japanese), and the aggravatingly misspelled "Captain Sindbad", etc. I've never seen "Son of Sinbad" (or most of the earlier films), but the idea of the character/adventures interests me and has had me suffering through many of the awful newer direct-to-video "films". But i am thrilled with this treasure! Whoo hoo!




BRAINIAC and CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN:

Yowza!  I had my eye on this and the price went way, WAY too high. I paid too much for it, but had never seen another one and I really "needed" it to go with a similar Mexican double-feature horror poster I got a while back. WOW! I'm such a sucker for gimmicks, too. Just take a look. Despite the crudely drawn art (which is also a plus in a way...), the poster boasts that you can "see the living headless body in person"! Zowie! That prop must have racked up a lot of miles...I wonder whatever happened to it? I also dig how the grammatically incorrect wording ("The most fiendish idea ever conceived by human brain") is prominently splashed across the poster for all to see -- and to shake their head at. Ha! CHEESY awful yet wonderful!




ROTTWEILER:

Look out! It's the one sheet for the Earl Owensby low budget in-your-face 3D regional rarity, "ROTTWEILER"! Also known as "DOGS OF HELL", this is one of a string of 7 or 8 3D flicks Owensby churned out in the 80s...that NEVER played in my town. ARGH! I'm sure it's awful. but as a sucker for gimmicks and vintage 3D (the new stuff offers great clarity and depth, but not much reaching out into your face thrills...), I've always wanted to see this "dog". I have another copy of this poster, but it has a lot of issues (including a big snipe/sticker covering a bunch of the lower portion of the poster). This is not perfect, but I'll take it. I don't see Owensby 3D posters that often... Woof!






BWANA DEVIL (Original 3D glasses):

Speaking of gimmicks, i know these next two items are NOT posters, but I've got to let my gimmick freak flag fly for a moment. (If I can post beach towels...what's wrong with vintage gimmick premiums?) These are 3D glasses from "BWANA DEVIL", the original 3D movie that launched the 3D craze of the 1950s. Granted these are not in the best shape (the dork who owned these previously apparently stapled them--eeek!--to something), but how many of these puppies are still in existence? I HAD to have them. Zowie! These will be nice to have to display next to the poster (which I have on page 4 of my thread:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.75.html. Scroll about halfway down...).








WITCHCRAFT and  THE HORROR OF IT ALL (Witch Deflector coin):

Yahoo!  I have been looking for one of these for YEARS!  I also thought that all of these little plastic coins (there were ones in green plastic as well, or so i read) had slipped through the fingers of time, never to be seen again. Yippie for me that i FINALLY found one. This is from 1964 and was used as a gimmick to promote the re-release double-feature combo of WITCHCRAFT and THE HORROR OF IT ALL (starring Pat Boone?! Ha!). I have the one sheet that advertisers the WITCH DEFLECTOR on page 26 of my thread (You can see it here. Scroll down:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.625.html  .) The coin is similar to the "Zotz!" coin given out with the William Castle film of the same name (I have one of those too). I'm sure this promotional gimmick was inspired by Castle and his penchant for gimmicks to get people into his so-so low-budget thrillers. I'm including pictures of the front of the coin as well as the back (with the film titles printed on the coin), as well as an image describing how to use the coin. I've been looking for a one sheet version (or ANY version) of this image---but have never seen one for sale. Hmm. If there's one out there, I'll track it down. Anyway, the instructions are very vague..as is the power of the coin. Ha!  But at least now I'll be safe from witches...while all of you all will just have to suffer from any spell or curse that comes your way. Ha!  Because "only the Witch Deflector can save you from the eerie web of the unknown!" Ooo-EE-ooo-ooo...










ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES:

Zowie! I have long wanted this poster for THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES ever since seeing the cool/horrifying image of the woman embracing a near-skeletal faced Vincent Price on some horror bubble gum cards I got back in the day. Creepy cool! While the PHIBES films didn't really work for me, this poster is awesome imagery... While I generally dislike the new Photoshop stuff used for movies and have rarely liked cheap-o photo posters in general, this gruesomely groovy photo would really sell me on seeing this movie back in the 1970s. Yowza!



And that's it for this posting. Thanks for stopping by. See you next time.I hope poster shopping in your world has been successful. Now I MUST get my rear in gear and get to work. ARGH!  CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this