Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 88

March 17, 2016, 12:21:05 PM

It's later....hopefully you've put some green on so you can't be pinched any more today! (Unless you are purposely NOT wearing any green so you CAN be pinched! Ha!)

Anyway, here are more lackluster additions to this month's lackluster posting. Hmm.

AMITYVILLE: THE AWAKENING:

I'm not really wild about this poster. It's not spooky enough. However, i am a sucker for all things AMITYVILLE HORROR. I've seen/bought all of the movies (the last 3 or 4 direct-to-video ones were just god-awful...worse than AMITYVILLE CURSE!), read all (?) of the books. I'm not sure why--except that I hate to "miss out" on things. I want to see what the filmmakers come up with next (although it's usually not much. But the more they try the cheesier they seem to get. AMITYVILLE 3D anyone? Ha!)).  This film is no exception, I'm sure. And I say that before it's even been released. It was supposed to come out in January 2015. Then got held back to April of this year...and literally minutes after I bought this poster promoting it's upcoming April release, I learn that it has been bumped back to a January 2017 date! Jeepers! So this poster was bound for the trash heap when I bought it. Ha! Will the film ever come out? If they wait until January like they now say, there is still time to come up with a BETTER poster. Ha!





BIRD OF PARADISE:

I saw this cheesy drama/romance movie on TV as a kid...and it strangely stuck with me all of these years (perhaps because **SPOILER ALERT** the woman...or maybe the whole couple...yes, I think it was the couple...jump into a volcano together because the woman was slated to be a sacrifice to the volcano god anyway. Ha!). Not that it's all that tiki-esque (there are a few tiki idols on the right and the volcano in the background), but if/when i ever get a little tiki bar in my home (if I ever get back into a home again), I thought this would be a nice addition to it. Really, that's the reason I bought it---as decor for a tiki bar. Ha!





MORGAN THE PIRATE:

Here's a poster for an old Steve ("Hercules") Reeves poster from the tail-end of the Italian peplum/sword&sandal/Hercules era. This, of course, is a pirate movie, but whatever. I got it because I do like (most of) the films from the genre (as bad as they are...but I have not seen this film yet). But I already HAD this poster. WHY did I need another copy? it's not even that great of a poster. ha!




MA AND PA KETTLE AT HOME:

I have never seen any of the MA & PA KETTLE movies (although I have the DVD set somewhere with all of the films). I once wrote a short story years ago in school and one of the comments was that it reminded someone of "THE EGG AND I"--which i had never heard of. "The Egg And I" was a novel, that was turned into a film (Sounds kind of like the inspiration for GREEN ACRES too---a couple from the city movie to the country to run a farm and meet a bunch of crazy country folks). MA & PA KETTLE were supporting characters in that and were so popular with audiences, they were spun off into their own film series. Altogether, with "THE EGG AND I", there were a total of 10 MA & PA KETTLE films.  I got a poster for one a while back (THE KETTLES IN THE OZARKS"). When I saw this one, I thought why not go for it?Now I only have 8 posters to go to get the whole series. Ha!





EQUINOX:

ARGH!  Why, o' why, o' WHY did I buy this?I worked last Sunday and had placed snipe bids for Heritage before leaving that morning on a variety of posters. This was NOT one of them. After years of wanting this one, I had scored one last year. I didn't need one any more. However, when I had a free moment on Sunday, i stupidly logged on and this poster was being auctioned off at that very moment...and suddenly I was in a crazed bidding frenzy until i won it. OOPS. WHY did I do that? Argh...





THE CHILD (Italian 2F):

I already had a copy of this that I saw and bought before looking at it properly. I had never seen one before and loved the ghoulish zombie imagery...and didn't see all of the rips, tears and tape. OOPS!  I was quite surprised to stumble on this second copy in much better condition. Hooray!!!





THE PRINCE AND THE NATURE GIRL:

After the fiasco of the EQUINOX poster and the realization of what a stupid thing I'd done bidding up and up and up on something I already had and getting stuck with it, you'd think I'd have learned my lesson. Right? True--most of what I'd placed bids on that day i did not win (the two MULHOLLAND DR. posters were the exception). But I didn't need another EQUINOX. Anyway, later in the day I stupidly found a moment to log in again---and this poster, which was not even on my radar to begin with, was up for bid. I have no idea why I bid--but I did...and the frenzy was on again...until, d'oh! It was mine. Oh well...at least Steve will enjoy it...



KING KONG ESCAPES (Spanish):

You know I love my KING KONG...(the original is STILL the BEST)...so i couldn't pass this Spanish poster up as I did not have this one in my collection. It's not so great, but what the heck. It shows Kong getting an air lift and Mecha-Kong causing havoc. To this day i am surprised the Japanese didn't utilize Kong in more of their monster movies.





KING KONG (Spanish re-release):

Speaking of KING KONG, here's a Spanish re-release poster i did not have yet. The poster is nice, although it seems to have borrowed inspiration from the poster for KONGA (note the double-decker bus for instance). Still a cool poster.



That's it for this month's posters.

And in late-breaking personal news (feel free to skip until the **** line below), I may have to curtail my poster addiction altogether (for at least 2 years or so). OH MY STARS!  My life has veered onto a path i did not anticipate. It's nothing major, just unexpected. Due to the huge tax liability for selling my house, I've had to rethink selling my other house. I am now planning on moving back into it for 2 years (around the end of May/beginning of June) before selling it to minimize the tax liability when i do sell it. That will be great in a sense, as i'll be able to move out of my cramped and cluttered shack-o-rama. I'll be able to go through, document and organize my posters--FINALLY! However, without that $1200 a month in rent coming in, I'll have to cough up that amount myself to cover the mortgage. Plus i'll now have PG&E, water, sewage, garbage fees. i'll have to hire a gardener (I am sooooo not handy outside). Etc. EEEK!. I'll also need to cut back on my student loan repayment. I was paying $1000 a month ($500 to the federal loans and $500 to a private loan). Those will have to be scaled way, way back. My little trips I've been taking (to keep my sanity will trapped in my little place and while trapped in Fresno---and the trips were mostly to Los Angeles and/or the Bay Area) will also have to be cut back or eliminated. I do have 2 in April (one to the Bay Area and one to the Central Coast) that I am committed to, as well as a longer road trip this summer (up to Washington with a stay at my mom's place on Whidbey Island) and a hugely expensive trip to Europe next spring (2017). All of those involve other people and I have already committed myself to them. But beyond that, i'll be stuck in Fresno. UGH! I know this is all piddly in the bigger scheme of things and there are many people worse off than me... It's just...waaaagh! Not fun.

But dead last on my list of expenses will have to be posters. Groan... That has been one of my greatest joys while stuck in this hell hole I'm living in now---posters and my little trips. I'm just going to have to cut them out altogether---at least for the minimum of 2 years until i sell my house. Blah!

************************

Anyway, I'll be back next month sometime. It won't be on the 15th. That's my birthday and I'll be on one of those mini-trips that day (Central Coast...waking up in one of the cave rooms at the Madonna Inn---I've always wanted to stay there!). So, I'll be posting my April thing either the 13th or around the 17th/18th.

Hopefully I've had a chance to visit around APF today and visited every thread I've been needing/wanting to visit. (I've been previewing threads all month as my subscription alerts have sent me notices of updates. Oh my! Some mighty FINE looking paper out there you've all been gathering! Zowie!)  I'll see you all in a month or so. If you want to chat or just say hello, etc., feel free to contact me away from the thread. Have a groovy Easter and I'll see you in April.

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this