Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 104



July 15, 2016, 08:16:49 AM


Hi there. It's hard to imagine that it's mid-July...already! Well, it certainly is HOT enough for July---but where does the time go-go? I am actually preparing this on July 13th (as I work on the 14th and 15th). I just got back from a 2 week road trip (June 26th thru July 10th) through the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington). Aside from some snipes i placed before leaving and maybe about three times accessing the internet when I had some down time, I really enjoyed the vacation from my daily hunt for posters. Imagine my surprise when, while assembling this post, I realized I had somehow still managed to acquire 13 posters!!! ARGH! How did that happen?

Anyway--here they are...



WALK OF THE DEAD:

Not a great poster (and I believe I already have one), this was included in a lot with other posters. Otherwise this would NOT be on the list.






THE PIT:

Another poster that I probably already have and am not enamored with---but it was included in the same lot as the above poster.





NEW HOUSE ON THE LEFT (aka NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS, LAST STOP ON THE NIGHT TRAIN, SECOND HOUSE ON THE LEFT, and/or LAST HOUSE PART 2):

I DO already have this poster--but couldn't resist this inexpensive 2nd (3rd? 4th?) copy. Why? I love it for a number of reasons. It's scamming the would-be movie-goer in soooo many ways. First of all, the title suggests that it is a sequel to LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT---which it is NOT. (In other releases of this same movie it was also called SECOND HOUSE ON THE LEFT and LAST HOUSE PART 2). The movie is really an Italian LAST HOUSE knock-off that takes place on a train (hence its other release titles LAST STOP ON THE NIGHT TRAIN and NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS). The 2nd and 3rd thing I like about the scamminess of the poster is the artwork. If you are thinking it's a LAST HOUSE movie, the image suggests a scared woman is sitting in her chair in her living room. Look at the chair closely. It is no Laz-E-Boy she's sitting in, but a train seat. The ad copy screams that the windows look out on hell, with a creepy surreal drawing of mysterious cloaked figures in a bizarre, barren landscape, coming at the windows. NOTHING like that happens at all in the film. The final thing I like about this poster is the gimmicky SEAL OF CONSUMER AWARENESS in the bottom center. It says the the ticket price is only a down payment. The "balance will be extracted from your nerves minute by minute"! Yowza! If I had been old enough when this came out, I'd have been hooked and been there. Ha!





WILD THINGS:

This was cheap and I genuinely like this little thriller. Why not? It was very unexpected--with great twists and turns.





STAR WARS 7: THE FORCE AWAKENS (Indian 6-sheet):

I do not know what possessed me to buy this. I'm not a big STAR WARS fan. I guess the recent (and still occurring) STAR WARS frenzy had me thinking down the line towards the resell market. I only paid $30 for this plus shipping. I didn't even realize at first when i placed my snipe bid that it was from India. Ha!  Anyway, this is my first (and, I'm sure, probably LAST) 6-sheet poster. (If you have not noticed, with a few exceptions here and there, I've been regressing back to my first passion of US one sheets again.)




THE LEGEND OF TARZAN (Final release):

This is the 2nd and final one sheet for the new TARZAN flick. I already have the advance version with a different image...but neither poster does it for me. Hmm. Oh well, you know me and my TARZAN movies... I have all of the posters back to the mid-Gordon Scott era (plus one Lex Barker plus one re-release Weismeuller and even one from the silent era), so i "needed" this one as well. I saw the movie today, actually. It was okay--not great. It was what I expected--but also not what i expected. i wasn'r wild about the Skarsgard guy as Tarzan (he seemed very stiff--especially at the beginning). Christof Waltz was the villain and i usually like Waltz--but he was sort of wasted here. And all of the vine swinging looked very CGI. Oh well.




DEATH HOUSE:

This is clearly a poster for a movie that has been re-titled...but I am too lazy to bother looking it up. Ha! The poster was interesting so why not? From the credits I think it may be the god-awful "SILENT NIGHT BLOODY NIGHT" but I'm not sure...





THE CHILD (Italian 4F):

I stumbled on this a long while back--about the time I scored the Italian 2F poster for THE CHILD with completely different artwork. I really liked this one as well--all of the zombies heading for the house--but it was pricey and a 4F (eeek! Those are just TOO LARGE), so I held off. It went on sale so I snagged it. How will I ever frame it and where will I ever hang it? Ha!





VOODOO WOMAN:

Although it's a little rougher than I normally like my posters, I am delighted (and surprised) that i "won" this old AIP / drive-in poster from the 50s. Very keen!




THE EVIL DEAD (Thai):

Here's another surprise--a Thai EVIL DEAD (I already had the Thai EVIL DEAD 2) for far cheaper than I have seen around in a long time. How did I score that? I THINK it was because the seller failed to list (except in the description) that the poster was Thai. Those searching for Thai copies wouldn't necessarily find it. Those looking for the US one sheet wouldn't want it either. There were bids, but the final price was far less than other dealers have it listed at. Hooray!





THE UNEARTHLY:

Zowie! Another unexpected vintage 50s drive-in poster win for me I got with a snipe. This is a pretty crappy movie--but it (and the poster) features John Carradine, Tor Johnson and Allison (the "50 Ft Woman") Hayes! Yowza! "Guaranteed to Frighten!"





BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER:

Whoo hoo!  I am utterly, UTTERLY surprised/delighted to have won this. While this auction was running, I was on the final 3 hour drive home on the last leg of my road trip. I had placed bids on several things before starting off and I was outbid on everything else (I actually DID shockingly try to re-bid on things a few times while driving. Shhh! Don't rat me out!  But I ended up just letting them go...). When I discovered this was actually mine I was totally elated. A few months back I tried to get a copy. Jeff had even seen it listed and had sent me a text, telling me that the poster looked like something I needed for my collection...but it went too high and I let it go. Waaaagh! I had been regretting it ever since. However this copy went for at least $30 or $40 less than the other copy. Yahoo! And what a groovy, kitschy, cheesy poster...with music by Frank Sinatra Jr. Kowabunga!






ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE:

Wow! Wow! Wow! Another poster i never thought I'd have...and it's now mine! I love this old movie. I used to watch it Saturday mornings on an old afternoon horror double feature show when I was a kid. It (and other great horror flicks of the 50s and early 60s---such as THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN, ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE, BURN WITCH BURN, etc.--were repeated over and over every few months.)  I love it. Yahooooo!!!!




Okay poster pals...that's my 13 posters for this mid-month posting. I hope you are staying cool and finding hot poster bargains!  Whoo hoo!

Here's a photo from my trip...me in a tiki bar in Portland and, eek! My drink is on fire! Yikes!



CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this