Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION #6*#

Here is another set of "recreations" from my APF thread:

April 10, 2015, 04:11:14 AM »

Okay, it's no secret P.T. Barnum would have loved me--I'm a sucker for a gimmick. I also really dig the whole disaster movie genre of the 70s. That being said, how could I resist this one sheet for "VOLCANO" in "FEELARAMA!"???  WHAT?,you say. You've never heard of it, you say. Ha! Flop-a-rama is more like it. Apparently, at the height of the disaster era, when "Earthquake", "Towering Inferno" and the "Airport" movies were making big bucks, someone decided to dust off the moldy-oldie stinker "Krakatoa-East of Java" (from a decade earlier), slap a new title on it and release it with a gimmick to give it extra box office oomph! Although I don't really know for sure, I suspect FEELARAMA was a copycat rip-off of the SENSURROUND system (Big speakers turned up to 11 to make the seats vibrate and rumble) that was used for "Earthquake" and won an Academy Award. FEELARAMA was never heard from again and "Volcano" is best known today under its original title. But the poster still exists! AWESOMENESS! (This is NOT my poster, but an image I found online.)




Another apparently volcano/Java-inspired flick I scored a poster for is "Fair Wind To Java". I bought this on a whim. It's not worth anything, but the copy I got was in such great condition and has such vibrant colors--wow! It's just works for me even more so than when I was looking at it to buy online. O' I can not wait to be back in a house again and hang this beauty up in a frame. I really find it stunning.




I mentioned elsewhere about my collection of blaxploitation horror movies (i.e. "Blacula:, "Dr. Black Mr. Hyde", etc.). While "Sugar Hill" isn't a horror movie per se, it does have horror elements---like ZOMBIES---in it. It also uses the Baron Samedi (sp?) voodoo character that was used in the James Bond flick "Live and Let Die".






The poster for "3 On A Meathook" is not any great artistic triumph, that's for sure. It's pretty BLAH actually. I got it because how many times have you ever seen this poster available? Not too often, if ever. The movie is no great winner either--strictly no budget grindhouse fare. It is, however, loosely based on the Ed Gein case---the same crazy that was the basis for "Psycho" and "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the Buffalo Bill character in "Silence of the Lambs". I have it. End of story.





"Re-Animator" is a nifty little cult horror movie. I got the one sheet, but really wish I had the alternate one sheet with the comic book-style art.




I also mentioned elsewhere being a fan of the peplum/sword & sandal flicks of the 50s and 60s. While "Thief of Baghdad" is only on the fringe of that category (no sons of Greek gods, no gladiators, etc.), it does star Hercules, aka Steve Reeves:






"The Ghastly Love of Johnny X" is a 2012 low budget ($2 million) sci-fi musical set in the 1950s. It has the distinction of being the last feature ever shot on a certain kind of black and white film stock. It is also notorious for earning a heaping $114 at the box office (that's 114 dollars--not 114 million or even 114 thousand...just plain old dollars)! The filmmaker clearly was trying to create a cult movie--but instead created a mess. I had the, uh...pleasure(?) of seeing this locally where it played for one time only during a film festival. The director and male lead were there. They were giving away the posters. I snatched several. I also had the director and star autograph one and I snapped photos, bought the advanced DVD (also autographed), etc... That was all BEFORE the screening. Afterwards, well... Let's just say I know why it didn't earn $115 or more. Stink-a-rama! The poster, shown below, was made to look distressed and well-worn. It's rolled and not folded. Unlike a lot of other bad movies out there that have cool posters---this poster doesn't even have that going for it. Oh well.





"PELVIS"---what is not to love about this cool yet cheesy poster. I've never seen the flick--and it probably is trash. However, unlike, say "The Ghastly Love of Johnny X", at least the poster is eye-catching and fun. Ha!




Yet another gimmick advertised on a poster had me buying something called "Teenage Millionaire". Zowie! Every teenager who saw the movie got a free record of Jimmy Clanton (who?) singing the title song. Ha! I'm sure it was as utterly forgettable as this movie seems to have been. I've often thought about looking it up on Youtube to see if I can find the song--but why bother? The film also stars Zasu Pitts!  Ha!






Finally, Westworld was for children. Futureworld was for teenagers. But "Sex World" is definitely for adults! Zowie! It's X-Rated time for this trashy and rather disappointing poster (where are all of the robots running amuck?). I couldn't resist though. As an unofficial sequel (aka rip-off), I just had to get it to go with my "Westworld" and "Futureworld" posters, right? Are there robots in this thing?? I have never seen it because I fear that what I IMAGINE it would be like (sex robots killing their guests) and what it probably really is like (sex robots with NO violence) would be too opposite and would be an utter let down.



Okay--that's enough for now. I have a lot more I'll post later.

Off to bed-y bye.  Good night and CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this