Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION #1*#


April 03, 2015, 12:06:58 AM
(I'm attempting to re-create my lost thread on AllPosterForum.com thanks to the Photobucket crash. This is the first page. For the recreations, I'll include the time and date stamp at the top of the page from when they were originally published. I'll exclude any conversational responses to those who originally commented to the posts when they were first posted.)

Hi there!  Despite the carnival-like title, my collection isn't all that groovy. In fact, despite having thousands of posters--all in storage of one kind or another at the moment until I move back into my house (which will be another year at least--unless I decide to move to the Bay Area or Washington state, but that's another story...), I have NOTHING on my walls where I'm living at the current time (EEK! NAKED walls! SHOCKING!!). That doesn't stop me from buying, buying, BUYING...and I've got tubes and boxes filled of posters that have yet to see the light of day since coming in to my possession.

So what I am posting is a sampling of my latest 10 purchases from the last week or so. The only way I can show you any of my other stuff is to show you my low-res video from 2008 I made of most of my framed movie posters at the time  or the movie poster thread I started on another site that shows my purchases since the beginning of 2015 --- but do you really WANT to see those? NOT!

For my first official post here (which I also posted on that other site), I thought I'd share these very humble posters:

"SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED"!!!!  I think I already have a copy of this poster, but a back up is always nice. I mean, who wouldn't want another poster with a rampaging albino bigfoot running up the stairs? Zowie! Such a cheesy-fabulous poster for a cheesy-fabulous movie! WATCH OUT!!!




Next, one of my favorite films of the early 80s, "TESS". I soooo wanted this to win Best Picture the year it was nominated. I forgot what it lost to, but as I recall, it was just some lame Hollywood product movie. Directed by Roman Polanski, starring Nastassia Kinski and based on a Thomas Hardy novel, this was just a brilliant and beautiful film (and there was not a single zombie in sight! Wow!)



It's always cool to score a Boris Karloff poster, especially since I'll NEVER get any of the "Frankenstein" stuff from ANY of the releases (sigh...). I am pretty sure I already have a "MONDO BALORDO" poster already--but with everything still packed away for another year, I can NOT be sure. Love those old "Mondo" flicks though...strange and weird and silly stuff (especially the obviously FAKED ones! Ha!).





Jeepers! Next up is the exploitation flick that could never be made today (wouldn't be PC at all!)...direct from the sleazy 70s it's "MANDINGO"!!! Again, I think I have a copy or two of this poster already. This poster is obviously trying to riff on "Gone With the Wind". Dino De Laurentis unleashed a lot of wonderful trash on the world! Ha!





"MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE"...NOT the most beautiful poster in the world, but... You ever go to buy something and look around to see what else the seller has, see a couple of "well, maybe...why not?" items and bid on all of them (the one item you really want and the other stuff you figure you'd pad out the shipping costs with, especially when those items close about the same time)...and you LOSE the ONE thing you really wanted and get stuck with the extraneous stuff?  This purchase is one of those instances. Oh well, the movie holds a weird sort of memory for me... So...





"MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD MONSTER LATE SHOW"---yes,if you saw this up for auction recently,I was the fool (???) who bought it. I apologize for the "eMovieposter" watermark, but I could find no other picture of this poster online and it has not arrived yet. There was something about it--the sleazy, slapped together (from other movie art. The screaming woman from the 1981 "Nightmare" poster is fairly obvious) art work, the DARE YOU SEE IT horror verbiage and the fact they don't bother to mention which chillers the audience would be seeing (so ANYTHING could be shown---and the poster could be used again and again and again, perhaps?). It's the closest thing to one of those old late night horror program posters from the 50s and 60s I'll ever be able to afford, so I got it. Kind of cool, but kind of dull as well. (Could use a bit of color and pizzazz,perhaps...). Still very fun in its own way.




"THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED"--I saw this not too long ago. It was an late 60s/early 70s Euro thing and it was well made, nice location/sets and atmosphere...but kind of plodding. The twist ending totally reminded me of another 80s Euro slasher that I now realize totally ripped off the ending of HOUSE THAT SCREAMED. Anyway, it was cheap and...why not?




"PSYCHO BEACH PARTY"---Being a life long fan of the Frankie and Annette "Beach Party" films, I saw the play version of this years ago. The play--at least the version I saw--was hilarious. The movie...eh, not so much. I don't know what was lost in translation, but it almost seemed like a different story than the play I remembered. Oh well,it was set in the Beach Party era and the poster has some fun graphics and the title is groovy... Again,why not?





Another poster I am almost sure I already have, "EMBRYO" is a 70s sci-fi stinker starring Rock Hudson and a young Barbara Carrera (who? Look her up...). The movie is BORING (I thought so anyway), but the poster is kind of cool. And cheap.




My 10th and final poster for now is my goody goody gum drops poster de jour... "DINOSAURUS!" (Yes, the "!" IS part of the title! Ha!). From Jack H. Harris (the man who unleashed "THE BLOB" on the world) comes this crazy story of two dinosaurs and a caveman found intact but frozen. They are thawed out and silly sci fi fun ensues. How exciting to get this poster! "Alive with thrills that started a million years ago." Yippie!




I have a bunch of pictures on photobucket of other posters I have. They were originally on the poster thread of that other site, but when the site revamped itself,it killed all of the old pages. Those postings may be lost, but I might slowly start adding them on here. They are nothing fancy, but they are mine.

Thanks for looking. See ya next time. CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this