Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION #3*#

April 08, 2015, 01:09:03 AM

Hi there? What's new with you? What's new with me? POSTERS!!! With the clock ticking down to my 50th (!!!???!!!) birthday and my promise to STOP buying posters (with the exception of a bucket-list of "must haves") once I hit the big 5-0, I've been on a shopping frenzy. Here are some of my newest acquisitions:

Oh my stars! Was I ever thrilled to snap this little gem up. It's the nazisploitation flick "SS GIRLS"! While not the best example of the nazisploitation films of the late 60s and 70s (not by a long shot), what a cool grindhouse-groovy poster! At one time I had the poster for "SS LOVE CAMP". I hated the art so I sold it for peanuts...not realizing what I had and when i come across one now, they're big bucks! This little beauty just seemed to fall into my lap,is in super snazzy condition and was so incredibly reasonably priced, I couldn't say no. Yippie!




Next up,more grindhouse sleaze with "THE RELUCTANT SADIST". I've not seen this (well reviewed?!?! Huh!?!) little film, but I've seen it advertised from Something Weird Video, so it might be right up my alley. I'll check it out sometime. In the mean time,it was cheap and there--so...




"SCREAM, BABY, SCREAM" is a eurohorror from the late 60s or early 70s. I just caught it a few weeks ago on DVD and it's not a bad little chiller (although it's dated and the scares are just not there...). I dig the far out psychedelic poster design.



FULL MOON HIGH:

Some of my more recent, lesser purchases include "FULL MOON HIGH". I've never seen it, but it looks like a TEEN WOLF ripoff (which I have also never seen). And, oh my stars, Roz (Pinky Tuscadero from HAPPY DAYS) Kelly apparently landed a job in THIS as well. I guess THIS was her last gig before falling off of the planet? Ha!



and the notoriously awful "AT LONG LAST LOVE" (Burt Reynolds singing and dancing? Ouch--just the thought of it is painful)



I don't know what I was thinking buying those at all...but they were only about $2 each...


The double bill combo poster for "THE POSSESSION OF VIRGINIA" and "THE EXORCISM OF HUGH" I already had---but I am a sucker for "Exorcist" wannabes. I've actually seen "The Exorcism of Hugh" (aka "Neither the Sea Nor the Sand" or something like that). It has nothing to do with exorcism or possession and it's painfully slow. I'm guessing the ultra obscure "Possession of Virginia" is equally awful. Oh well,the double feature makes them sound possess-o-cool!




Not that it has anything to do with possession, I also picked up this Turkish poster for "THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE". The movie is a guilty pleasure fave of mine. A group of stranded tourists are picked off one by one by an evil succubus. I won't say who the succubus is (they do try for a bit of mystery about it initially), but it becomes fairly obvious early on and the outfit she wears when she is still presumed to be a wholesome young woman is laugh out loud funny (in the Fredrick's of Hollywood sleaze-o-rama kind of way).



I have a penchant for the old kiddie matinee posters from the 60s and early 70s. K. Gordon Murray and Barry Mahon were two of the big players in the kiddie matinee arena. I always preferred the posters for the ones distributed by Childhood Productions though. They were more vibrant and always declared they were filmed in Storybook Color. They were basically imported movies that were dubbed and thrown out there for kids to suffer through while their parents went out shopping or whatever. I remember seeing a few of these films at kiddie matinees. "THE TINDER BOX" was not one of them though. I have several Childhood Productions posters, and now I have one more. Hooray!



As I said earlier, my birthday is coming up. I purchased myself two extra special presents. One of them is the elusive (and expensive) Herschel Gordon Lewis "BLOOD FEAST", which is widely considered the very first gore movie--long before films like "Dawn of the Dead" or "Friday the 13th" were on the scene. This was a holy grail for me--and I finally got one. Yahoo!



The other present to myself was also a holy grail of sorts...the original "BEACH PARTY" poster, the first Frankie & Annette flick that started it all. And now my collection is complete!  "Beach Party" is the best film of the lot anyway! It's what happens when 10,000 kids meet on 5,000 beach blankets! Kowabunga!  It's finally mine! Happy birthday to me!




CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this