Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 64

December 02, 2015, 06:29:32 PM

Okay... Shake the sh*t off of your shoes from the last slog through the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show.  Today's post should (hopefully) be better than yesterday's post.

Let's take a look... (Just don't let your expectations get too high...):


A BLADE IN THE DARK (Italian):

Believe it or not, but when I bought this, I had no idea what the US title was. I just liked the spooky art. It was only when I saw it again online that I realized it was A BLADE IN THE DARK. Are you sitting down? Although I have the DVD, I don't think I've ever seen it. I'm so bad. I have all of these classic Italian horror and giallos on DVD...just never got around to watching them. Where does the time go? (Oh yes...it goes shopping for posters! Duh!)





SUSPIRIA (Japanese Chirashi):

I HAVE seen SUSPIRIA several times. Great music, great use of color, great Italian horror! I didn't see it until the video age, but I do remember vividly when I was a kid and the commercials for it would come on TV...the creepy Goblin theme was playing while there was a lady with her back to the camera, brushing her hair and saying the poem from the film...then she turns to the camera and she's a skeleton. Then the announcer says that the only thing more frightening than the last 10 minutes of the movie are the first 82...or something like that! Yowza!  That put little Monster A GoGo on his toes. I couldn't wait to see that film. It took more than a decade, but I finally DID see it. Wowzer!





THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE (Spanish):

I have this movie--just have never seen it. My bad...






THE TORTURE CHAMBER OF DR. SADISM (Italian):

Interesting poster. I thought the artwork was fab, but again...it's a movie I have never seen.





THE OMEN (Turkish):

I know I just got one of these not too long back. However, after years and years of trying to get one on one of the auction sites and always being outbid, I finally clued in to look elsewhere...and got one dirt cheap. When this one came up, equally dirt cheap i couldn't let it go. Maybe I'll send it to the auction house someday so others can bid on it like crazy like I had been doing for so long. LOVE the original "OMEN" movie and this Turkish poster really adds so much over the US one sheet.





ALIEN (Turkish):

When I got THE OMEN, I saw this available...  Again, dirt cheap. Sold!



CARRIE (Turkish):

Another i have been trying to get for years... The original CARRIE is such a great movie, despite the dated fashions and hair. The sequel (yes, there is one...THE RAGE-CARRIE 2), TV remake and recent theatrical remake have nothing on the first one. And you can not top the performances of Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie. The Turkish poster is creepily different than the US poster (which was one of the first posters I ever had...possibly the 2nd or 3rd way back in the day...before I ever saw the movie!). Glad to have this.





CATHY'S CURSE (Italian):

While no where near as good as CARRIE, this Canadian rip-off was interesting enough for me (but would probably bore everyone else). The poster is sort of ...eh. But why not?





MURDERER'S ROW and THE SILENCERS (re-release double feature combo):

I know this is sort of the poster that does NOT go with the others. It doesn't fit in with today's...nor will it fit in with the next few postings i have planned...so i'll just post it here now (it's a combo poster, which will sort of segue into the final poster at least...). I love James Bond flicks and have been tracking down the knock offs lately. While the Matt Helm flicks weren't nearly as good, Dean Martin was, well...Dean Martin-ish--cool, suave, and hip. There were lots of great leading lady co-stars in the series and it was made in the groovy 60s-a-go-go period before the whole hippie/summer of love/peace and flower power thang. I dig it. I don't have many Helm posters yet (do i have any? Maybe a WRECKING CREW that isn't up to the quality i need it to be), so i am thrilled with this combo poster. Yeah, baby!





BRAIN OF BLOOD and VAMPIRE PEOPLE (combo):


Hemisphere Pictures had a string of hits made in the Philippines during the mid/late 60s and early 70s. BLOOD DRINKERS was, i think, the earliest one. Then they started the successful BLOOD ISLAND series (BRIDES OF BLOOD, BEAST OF BLOOD, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, etc.). The company got into the habit of releasing one a year around Halloween time (from my understanding of what I've read about them) and they were very successful. When the Philippine filmmakers had trouble, they turned to Al Adamson for their next film...which, keeping with the BLOOD in the titles, was dubbed BRAIN OF BLOOD. Not connected to the other films in any way, many still consider it part of the larger BLOOD series (which, despite many taking place on BLOOD ISLAND, are all unrelated). As an added bonus to appease fans, Hemisphere released BRAIN OF BLOOD with VAMPIRE PEOPLE (which was just a re-titling of BLOOD DRINKERS). I have a lot of the BLOOD posters. I need BRIDES OF BLOOD, but have the other BLOOD ISLAND one sheets. This was an added bonus...not really a BLOOD movie, but sort of. Why not?




And that's all for today, boils and ghouls.

Cha-cha-cha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this