Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show -- Classic Collection #13


Greetings! It's another visit to the Classic Collection, posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. Let's take a look at the current batch and see what I've got this time:



GHOST DIVER:

I had never heard of this (and still haven't tracked the movie down) until running across the poster. Something rare (?) from the 50s? Sold!  This is the poster that called my attention to an actress I had also never heard of (and who I have since nicknamed "Tatter"), Audrey "Tatter" Totter. Tatter Totter has been in quite a few things, it seems, including the 3D noir "MAN IN THE DARK"! Anyone ever see this flick?






WICKED, WICKED:

Gimmick alert! This film boasted a new movie-going gimmick (that has never been duplicated) called DUO-VISION, which was an experiment in using a split screen. I saw this on a bootleg DVD and, well... Eh. It's a thriller, but not very thrilling, where you have two points of view (almost) continuously--one the killer, one the victim. Oh well. i'm a sucker for a gimmick, so of course the poster was purchased.




GHOST IN THE INVISIBLE BIKINI:

The last of the Frankie & Annette Beach Party movies---and Frankie and Annette are no where to be seen! However, the rest of the Beach Party gang is on hand, along with newcomer Nancy Sinatra (!). Horror "has beens" (as they were seen back then...such a shame) Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone add some supernatural shenanigans to the mix, along with Susan Hart, who dons the "invisible bikini" (a blue screen bikini, so she appears not to have boobs or a crotch at all! EEK!). Harmless fun. Geronimo!







THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII / SHE (re-release combo):

I love this poster and was so delighted to win it for very little money and even less competition. Sure, it's only a re-release poster for two flicks from 1935...but the poster for this is from 1948. That was 70 years ago. I'm shocked no one else tried to snag it up. As a bonus, with any luck, I will be visiting the ruins of Pompeii next spring. Whoo hoo!




THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT:

This Edgar Rice Burroughs dino flick made a good enough amount o' cash to inspire the production of AT THE EARTH'S CORE and the sequel to this one, THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT. All starred Doug McClure. PEOPLE didn't do so well, so there were no more made (leaving the TIME trilogy incomplete without OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS unfilmed). Oh well. The JURASSIC PARK series is way better anyway.





THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN:

Roger Moore's second outing as 007 was serviceable, if not small scale (for a Bond film, especially for what they have become). Herve Villachaize and Christopher "Dracula" Lee are also on hand. Maude Adams shows up and gets killed off...but would be back as OCTOPUSSY a few years later. This was the first James Bond I saw KNOWING I was watching a James Bond flick. Previously I had seen GOLDFINGER at a drive in with my parents, but I had been so young I didn't really know what was going on (I thought they were stealing the gold from the White House...who knew what Fort Knox was?)




PANORAMA BLUE:

No, I've never seen this adult flick. The attraction was, of course, the gimmick. Clearly a take off of CINERAMA---this was "Filmed in 70 MM Super Widescreen Panoramascope with 4 track stereo sound" Zowie!






ROLLERCOASTER (Sensurround style):

Yes, SENSURROUND was the attraction to this poster. I DID see this flick in SENSURROUND (with MIDWAY, also in SENSURROUND). ROLLERCOASTER is actually a nifty little thriller. It's kind of funny to see Magic Mountain in 1976 with the opening of the newest, most amazing coaster in the world that actually makes an upside down loop, The Revolution---which has since been dwarfed and minimalized by other coasters in the same park. The destruction of the coaster at the old Ocean View Park at the beginning is a shocker. 





GOLDFINGER (80's re-release):

This is the very first James Bond movie I ever saw...in fact, I believe this is the first movie I ever saw period. I was a toddler when I saw this with my parents at the Winchester Drive In in San Jose, California. Even though I didn't know what was going on and didn't even know it was a James Bond film at that age---and it took me YEARS to figure out what movie this had been--I have clearly been a Bond fan for life.






THE ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN:

Two careers ago, before I was a nurse or wrote for the newspaper, I was a teacher. I mostly taught fourth grade--which was a GREAT grade. In social studies, we did California history including the Gold Rush. During the the gold rush lessons, we would read a book called "By The Great Horn Spoon" or something like that. The kids liked the book a lot. I eventually became aware that Disney had made a movie version of the book, and this, THE ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN, was it. While it follows the basic storyline of the book, the movie strays far and wide from the source material. I got the poster to hang in the classroom the next time I taught the gold rush lesson---but never taught 4th grade again. 





Zowie! And that's another batch o' posters. Okay. Thanks for visiting. I hope to see you again soon.






CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this