Skip to main content

Monster-A-GoGo's Shock-O-Rama Poster Show RECREATION # 57

November 09, 2015, 11:27:13 PM

Happy Monday. Where did the day go already? Jinkies. It was dark by 5 p.m. and now, as 7 p.m. approaches, it feels like the day is completely over with--and the mail hasn't even come yet! Blah... Maybe I'm just out of it because I'm constipated? Probably...

Okay--onto the latest edition of the Shock-A-Rama Poster Show. Here's the next batch o' 10 posters to share.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE GHOST DIMENSION:

I know...I know... You are thinking who gives a ding-dang-dong darn about the overly tired PARANORMAL ACTIVITY movies--or their posters. I agree completely (Please let this one have been the LAST one!). The reason this is here and in my collection, is because there is a new theater in town (The Maya or Mayan?) and they gladly give out their old posters once the film has come out and is gone or about to leave. On a recent visit when I learned this (I had been there several times already and left empty handed. Waaagh! Who knew?), they gave me this poster and the next two. I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'll TAKE it, thank you very much. I did inquire about the SPECTRE poster--they're not giving those out yet. After leaving, I decided to go back and beg for it. I even left my name and phone number. I want one soooo bad and am NOT going to pay $50+ bucks for one (since there are a zillion of them out there right now). Fingers crossed.





THE LAST WITCH HUNTER:

Free poster #2. Zero interest in this movie. Anyone see it? If it's good, let me know...otherwise it won't even make the "watch on video" list...

PAN:

Free poster #3. I know this was a huge box office bomb. However a friend did recommend this to me. Hmm. The 3D showings are already over with and it's just barely hanging on... So I am holding out hope that it will end up at the $3 theater (second run place) and I can catch it then...if I even bother. I'm not really into this though. I hated, hated, HATED "HOOK". I hated "HOOK" so much I was actually OUTRAGED that they'd spent so many millions making it. But that was "HOOK" and this is "PAN". Maybe I'll cut it some slack and check it out (since almost no one else did).



AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON:

Yesterday I posted one of the posters Ari sent me--"A TRANSYLVANIAN WEREWOLF IN AMERICA". Great title and clearly riffing on this classic 80s horror flick. I had this poster once upon a time and sold it off when I needed cash (and got next to nothing for it). I regretted it. Not because it's a great poster (it's NOT. Isn't there a thread out there about great movies with lame paper? This is a worthy candidate...), but because I really do like the film so much. A few years back (last year?) I went to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios in Hollywood, and they had an "An American Werewolf" maze that recreated whole scenes from the film. That was surreal--walking through the movie. Ha! Glad to have the poster again...


ZOMBI HOLOCAUST (aka DR BUTCHER M.D.) (Italian):

I love me my zombie movies and the Italians make some wild ones. I already have the US poster for this when it was released as DR. BUTCHER M.D. (Medical Deviate), but saw this Italian version (country of origin) and thought why not? Completely different artwork. Groovy.


NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(French re-release special edition):

If I understand correctly, this is a French re-release from 2000 that includes special new scenes added in to the original film. Is that right? If so, this is John Russo's re-edit with NEW scenes (not outtakes originally shot) spliced in. It's just more zombie stuff really. I have the "special edition" on DVD. Apparently Russo was inspired by the success of the "STAR WARS" films special editions--but those films utilized vintage outtakes and deleted scenes. (Which reminds me of a little story. There used to be a four-theater multiplex in town. On it's marquee at one time it was showing the special editions of "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi". The fourth film on the marquee was something called "Fools Rush In". I thought that was hilarious and so appropriate. Ha!). Anyway, since NOTLD stuff is usually fairly pricey (and I got this pretty darn cheap), I thought it was a decent investment.



CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS:

I was gone for the bulk of the weekend. If you read my entry yesterday, you'll remember that, due to my absence, I had bid on a lot of the auctions closing yesterday on Heritage and Emovie...knowing I'd surely be outbid. Uh... That didn't exactly happen. Yikes! Not only did I have to scrounge to find enough credit card space to pay my invoices (oh my...), I also ended up with TWO copies (one from each auction house) of "CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS". OOPS. (So don't be surprised when you scroll down to the next poster and find that it is strangely familiar. Ha!) I already had a copy I got awhile back, but that copy has a number of things wrong with it that I can't deal with. So...I needed another copy. I got more than I bargained for. Ha! It's still a cool poster though. (Wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't.)



CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS:

Look!  It's "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things". Surprise! Ha! As I said when writing about the "Zombi Holocaust" poster, I like my zombie movies. While not the best zombie flick ever (In interviews, the makers of this film said they were trying to make a low budget version of "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD". Ha!  Hello? That was already a low budget movie!), it is on the obscure side (the only post-NOTLD / pre-Dawn of the Dead zombie flicks from the US that I can even think of that could be even more obscure are "Garden of the Living Dead" and/or "The Corpse Eaters"--both of which I have the posters to). It's kind of wild to think that the man behind this flick would go on to make "Porky's" and "A Christmas Story". Ha!


THE FACE OF FU MANCHU:

Do I have this already? I'm not sure... I don't think so, but... This poster is for the first of the five Fu Manchu films that starred Christopher Lee in the title role. About two years ago i finally sat down and watched the series. They are a bit dated and lack the punch of modern films, but I could see what the appeal was and why they were popular at the time (although they have fallen into a bit of obscurity today). While I doubt I'll ever bother watching them again, I still thought it would be nice to track down the posters. If it happens, it happens. But I'm not gonna knock myself out over it. Poster #1 is here. One down, four more to go (actually a few more as some of the flicks have more than one style of poster. How very fiendishly Fu Manchu of the filmmakers to do that to me! Argh!).



THE NIGHT THE WORLD EXPLODED: 

Last poster for tonight--and (gasp!) this was my very accidental loss of my linen cherry! Oh my! I do not like posters on linen. Period. i've passed up some beautiful posters from time to time simply because they were on linen. The night this poster was being auctioned off, I had completely forgotten about the auction. I had gone to the movies (see the story about the free posters at The Maya Theater above. And in case you are curious, I was seeing "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse". Really.). It was only as I was driving home that I remembered the auction. Oh crap! While driving (soooo dangerous and illegal of me), i brought up the auctions on my phone. This one was one of the posters that was just about finished and it wasn't too terribly expensive (certainly not in the hundreds or thousands of dollars range many of the other posters were) and it was in marvelous condition. I bid. When i got home, I was happily surprised to see that I had won it...and then also totally bummed to see it was on linen. Waaagh! Still, it is a cool image. Never saw the movie, but I dig those vintage drive-in era horror and sci fi posters. I have so few of them. This will do until a non-linen version comes along.


And that's all for today kids. Monster A Go-Go hopes you all are washing behind your ears, looking both ways before crossing the street, and listening to your moms and dads. Hiddy-ho!  I'll see you next time (unless that creepy thing that lives under your bed gets you first).

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this