Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2019 #7


Tickets!  Get your tickets! The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin...

Hi there. I am back from my trip and finally have a few more poster to share. I did NOT find anything in Europe to buy, unfortunately...yet I have a couple of stories about Europe to share here. Anyway, the staff is ready to help you find your seat. The show will be starting in just a moment. ENJOY!




GONE WITH THE WIND (1954 re-release):

I just got back from spending several weeks in Europe. While in England, I met/visited with a female movie poster collector friend o' mine and gifted her with a 1961 re-release poster for GONE WITH THE WIND.


Then, on the l-o-n-g 12 1/2 hour flight home from Rome, I watched several movies. To help eat up time, one of the flicks I watched was GONE WITH THE WIND. While I was gone, I had occasionally logged on to poster auction sites. I'd bid randomly on an item here or there, but didn't follow the auction as the time zones were all off for me and I was busy playing tourist. I won nothing, or so I thought...

When I got home, I visited my auction sites to see what was going on. Was there anything new I needed to watch? And there, on Heritage, was an invoice. I had won a 1954 re-release for GONE WITH THE WIND. While not nearly as nice as the one I gave my friend, I had absolutely NO MEMORY of bidding on it. Ha!






THE CURSE OF LA LLORONA:

When I was in Russia, I stumbled into a food court (which they called Food Park). Although some may consider me an adventurous traveler, I'm NOT adventurous when it comes to food. I don't like a lot of things and I had no idea what a lot of Russian dishes were (let alone how to pronounce them). I went up the escalator in the Food Park looking for the Burger King (Burger Czar?) that was advertised as being up there. (I usually hate Burger King, but... I knew what it was.) The upstairs turned out to be a lobby for a movie theater. (There was a Burger King food court hidden up there as well.) I saw posters for things like SHAZAM and the new AVENGERS flick---all in Russian, of course. And then I saw this poster:


Zowie! That looked creepy cool. What was that? I had no clue.

Upon arrival home, I was happily surprised to see the same poster...in English (well, mostly) for the new horror flick LA LLORONA, which I had no idea was even coming out. I quickly snatched up the poster as I had been fascinated by what it could be since seeing it in St Petersburg. Of course, now I've actually seen the movie and...well, it's okay, but nothing new or original. Just the same ol' horror schlock from THE CONJURING people (think THE NUN or INSIDIOUS). Oh well... Still a cool image.





THE BLACK GESTAPO:

Thankfully I already have one of these--with the correct title. This was in an auction when I first got home. I hadn't previewed anything and had to bid early as I worked. THE BLACK GESTAPO is a cool poster. I couldn't believe it was going for so little. (I had paid much more for my other copy.)  It was only after I was home from work and I had won the poster that I realized...oops!  This version had been re-titled GHETTO WARRIORS. UGH! I'll just turn around and resell it later. Curiously though, it still says "BLACK GESTAPO" in the lower credits. Hmm.




THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD/THE RETURN OF DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE (triple feature re-release):

Do you have guts? Can you take 15,000 terrifying seconds of horror in one show! Ha! I may have this poster already---I'm not sure. But just in case, I couldn't let this triple feature re-release poster go. It's just too cool! Apparently this re-release featured green-tinted (or perhaps just a green filter put on the projector?) film as it is "presented in GRUESOME GREEN"! AWESOME!!!




RACE WITH THE DEVIL:

I saw this movie on TV when I was a kid...and the story stuck with me. Recently (as in within the last week) I finally gave it another watch. While the idea of the movie is truly horrifying, the movie itself is agonizingly s-l-o-w. Oh well. I have a one sheet already, but it has missing corners. I have long been searching for a replacement---but they always escaped my grasp. Luckily I scored this one and not at a bad price either. Hooray!






THE THING WITH TWO HEADS:

This is my prize of the current batch o' posters...and is a poster I've wanted for years. THE THING WITH TWO HEADS is not a very good movie (and I just re-watched it a few months back)...but what a concept! Too fab! I love it and am thrilled to have such a cheesy, sleazy schlock film poster. Zowie!





ALPHA AND OMEGA (lenticular):

I didn't need this at all (In fact, I think I may already have one), but lenticular posters are so very groovy cool. Even for a movie that has already faded from most people's memories, I couldn't let this lenticular go. Hello? It was less than $20. 





BIRTH OF THE LIVING DEAD:

This and the poster below were "won" by placing bids on things and letting luck of the draw decide what I won and lost. Neither of these things I needed desperately...and the ones I really wanted were (of course) snatched from my hands. Oh well. I might have this already, but wasn't sure (and didn't have time to check when I was placing bids). But as a documentary on George Romero's classic NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, I thought it might be a fun addition to my collection. 






CALENDAR GIRLS:

Here is something else I might already have a copy of...and I didn't really need, but... I do like the quasi-trompe l'oeil aesthetic of the poster with the calendar seemingly popping off the flat surface of the poster. Never saw the flick...but am guessing it is/was an early adult flick? It seems to be a "lost" film. Hmm.




LOVE ME DEADLY (Spain):

This is NOT the most interesting of posters ever/. In fact it is boring, actually. But it is the ONLY paper I have ever seen for this weird title, LOVE ME DEADLY. This movie, if you never heard of it, hails from the 1970s and is about necrophilia (!!!!), long before NECROMANTIK or even THE CORPSE BRIDE were even thought of. It co-stars Lyle Waggoner from TV's WONDER WOMAN and Christopher Stone of THE HOWLING. I've only seen the movie once---and it wasn't that great. It could use a remake---but who is gonna tackle a subject like this? Ha! I think the girl in the flick was not only obsessed with corpses, but specifically corpses that reminded her of her father---taking this flick into another whole realm of weirdness (Incestuous necrophilia fantasy? WTF!?!). Freaky.





Okay, that's it for this time. Thanks for visiting. Stay tuned for more. 



Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r