Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2019 #1



Happy new year! Welcome to 2019 and a whole new year of poster collecting! Oh boy, what treasures will we find this year? Below you will find my first new pieces of precious paper for the new year. Granted, some (most?) were purchased in late 2018, but they are making their debut here for the first time! Let's take a peek...


THE CLASS REUNION:

Another of the ED WOOD-penned nudie flicks for AC STEPHEN. I didn't realize it at the time I purchased this, but I ALREADY HAVE a copy of this poster. Oh well. It's always nice to have a spare, I guess. It was cheap anyway...






THE SNOW BUNNIES:

Speaking of ED WOOD-penned nudies for AC STEPHEN, here is another one...THE SNOW BUNNIES! I've never seen any of these WOOD/STEPHEN flicks, but would love to eventually. Notice the four actresses mentioned in THE CLASS REUNION are also the 4-billed stars of SNOW BUNNIES? Ha!





SOLO (Character advance):

I now have three of these (four? five?), I think. Cheap posters...I just hope my gamble that they will go up in value will prove true. Hmm.




GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS:

What is this, you ask?  It's just the poster for one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, is all. I was taken to see GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS in its brief theatrical run back in 2003. One of my all-time favorite BAD movies is "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS". I was told this was like a comedic send-up of DOLLS. Okay... And while I could see the DOLLS connection (three women trying to make it in Hollywood), it was not very DOLLS-like at all. But it was politically incorrect HILARIOUS. I LOVED it. All of the parts--men, women, child--are portrayed by males. But the drag thing was secondary...and I forgot the "women" were not really women--MOST of the time. (I don't know why they had to be played by drag queens---since they were supposed to be 'real" women. But whatever. It worked.) The poster is not much...but it is fairly difficult to find. I've been looking for years. I thought this flick was so funny, that I sent money to its Kickstarteer campaign in 2010 to help make a sequel, to be called GIRLS WILL BE GIRLS 2012. I'm actually maybe supposed to be in the flick briefly...but as of yet, the sequel film has NOT been released. Oh well...





LIGHTS OUT (lenticular advance):

I think lenticular's are cool. This one just has the light switch off and on...but the movie was good and I got this for $45 plus shipping. Not bad for a lenticular.






V/H/S:

I may have one of these already, but when i saw this on Netflix a while back, I thought it was pretty good. I had no idea it played theatrically, so getting this theatrical poster is groovy for me. 







GODZILLA - KING OF THE MONSTERS (2019):

New GODZILLA movie, new poster. I got one early to beat the crazy crowd that makes everything so high priced as it gets closer to the film debuting. While the new GODZILLA flicks are not rocking my world, they are okay. I still need an original GODZILLA and a DESTROY ALL MONSTERS. I think I have the rest of the other original (US) posters...





BLADE RUNNER 2049 (advance):

I usually avoid buying posters for sequels (except the STAR WARS movies as the fans still buy those like crazy...), but this one was an interesting exception. The original goes for big bucks--and how crazy to make a sequel 30 years later. Awesome.





THE INVISIBLE MAN (French petite re-release 2000):

Shocking as it may seem, I have never seen THE INVISIBLE MAN films. (Calm down. Calm down. I do have the LEGACY COLLECTION and am working my way through it. I'll get to this sooner or later. I just finished THE MUMMY flicks...). I really dig the French portrait posters for the early 2000 re-releases. I'll have to get the others, but am happy with this one for now.







THE MONSTER WALKS (1938 re-release 3-sheet):

I've never seen this flick, but understand it is readily available as it is in public domain. I purchased this--at the last minute--in eMovie's December Major Auction, not realizing at the moment that it was a re-release poster. However, a 1932 3-sheet may no longer be known to exist any longer, according to this blurb in the auction:   Important Added Info: Note that we have never seen a 1932 three-sheet for this movie (for that matter, we have also never seen a 1932 one-sheet, either!). So we don't know if the 1932 posters would have similar or different images to the 1938 Astor re-release posters (often, Astor posters are very similar to the first release posters). We have seen an Argentinean poster that appears to be from 1932, and that had almost the same image as the 1938 one-sheet, so we think it is likely that this 1938 three-sheet has the same or a similar image as the original 1932 three-sheet. If anyone HAS ever seen a 1932 one-sheet or three-sheet for this movie, please e-mail us and we will post that information here. Also note this three-sheet poster was tri-folded only (which means there is one less vertical machine fold than usual). This means the poster has a significantly lesser number of folds than with three-sheets folded in the "regular" way, which is nice!

Either way, it is a nice-looking poster and I am happy to get it. With this one, i feel like i am starting off the new year right.





Thanks for visiting. I hope 2019 has many wondrous and incredible surprises in store for you. 

CHEERS!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this