Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #5

 

Welcome back! You are just in time for the next edition of THE SHOCK-O-RAMA POSTER SHOW! As you start to scroll through, you may be thinking "Blah! This is crap." True. True. I do buy crap sometimes (i.e. often), but I also buy a few jewels now and again. Just be patient and keep scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. As usual, I keep the best stuff for last. 
But, what am I blabbering on? Let's get started!

Roll 'em:

BORA BORA: This is a nothing poster, really. I picked it up inexpensively to potentially use in my future home tiki bar (which is actually happening. The electrician arrived on May 3. The handyman who'll hopefully do the build out will be here on the 12th. Whoo hoo! And yes, it is all being done on the super cheap. Fingers crossed the crap I've saved for years will finally come together as I've planned!). Now that I have the poster, I think I already have MORE than enough beach/jungle/Polynesean/island/ etc. posters for the space, the stairs leading down to it and the space just outside of it. Oh well. As I said, this was inexpensive.

NEFARIOUS: I had no idea what the movie this poster is advertising was about when I picked it up. NEFARIOUS? It sounded like it was something by (or ripping off) the makers of films like INSIDEOUS, SINISTER, MALIGNANT or any of those other similarly ominous-sounding one-word horror titles. But I guess this came and went (bypassing my tiny, island theater) without much fanfare. Oh well... I still haven't seen it and have no idea what it is about.


BOMBA ON PANTHER ISLAND: While not in the best condition, I am ever so delighted to have scored another Bomba poster. Who? Bomba the Jungle Boy was a teenage Tarzan-like character. The films were based ona series of 20 novels that started publication in the mid-1920s. There are 12 Bomba movies, all of which were cranked out between 1949 and 1956. Johnny Sheffield played Bomba in the series. Sheffield famously played Boy in the later Weissmueller TARZAN films, until he aged out of the part and "went off to school" never to be seen again. Lucky for him that some filmmakers decided to cash in on the TARZAN craze and cast the TARZAN star in the series. This poster is for the second film in the series. I have a few others. 

SCREAM 6: Normally I don't bother with sequel posters. Sure, there are some film series that I'll buy a poster for every film in the series. Mostly though, I just avoid the sequel one sheets. SCREAM has always fallen into that category of ignoring the sequel one sheets. Don't get me wrong. I love the SCREAM films. They are (usually) pretty clever and inventive. While I have the poster for the first SCREAM (which I finally scored YEARS later), I didn't bother with the sequels...until SCREAM 5 (aka just SCREAM from 2022). I really liked its advance one sheet and snagged one. I thought I also got the final release one sheet showing the cast as I really liked that one, too. But, going through my previous posts, I don't see it. I guess I didn't get one?  While SCREAM 6 was kind of disappointing, the dinal poster was similar to the final poster for SCREAM 5. So, why not? (Although I also really liked the advance one sheet with Ghost Face looking through a subway window...) Maybe I should have just followed my general rule of skipping sequel posters...




THE POPE'S EXORCIST:  Oooo how I wanted to see this. Of course, it didn't play here. By the time I learned it had been released, it was pretty much played out already (and had pretty much bombed).  I could have traveled off island to see it, but that would have been an hour+ drive each way and the drive back would have been in the dark. No thanks. I'll catch it on disc or streaming possibly. Not the best poster--but my kind o' movie. (Hopefully.)



THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE: Finally! Although the poster is rather bland, I am glad to have ultimately scored one. This film put Dario Argento on the horror map. Although he'd written other things in the years previous, this Italian giallo film was his first directorial effort. The poster isn't perfect, but I am happy with it. But it does make pause and say how crazy the poster market has become. Jeepers. This poster (in this condition) has been going for more than I would have expected it to for the longest time. I finally just bit the bullet and got this one. But other posters I've been after for decades have just gotten crazy expensive. Things I could have gotten for under $100 10 or 15 years ago or so were up to over $1,000 just a few years ago...and are now going for multiple thousands. What the heck!?! When I was a kid, posters were cheap. I just wish I'd better taste back then. I still kick myself occasionally over the stuff I passed up for $5-$25 bucks for the shlock crap did get (which is still worth next to nothing). Oh well. 



BLACK DEMON: Ooooo, yet ANOTHER JAWS ripoff...and trying to take a bite out of the pre-release buzz of MEG 2. Of course it did NOT play anywhere near me. I don't think it got that wide of a release, actually. So--good, bad, or god-awful, I am thrilled to score the one sheet. Now to track down the flick...

OLGA'S GIRLS: Snap on your chastity belt... Although this poster has issues, it is super rare. By acquiring this poster, I believe I have one sheets for all five of the notorious OLGA roughies. (The possible exception may be OLGA'S DANCE HALL GIRLS--which many see as the worst of the series, but it's my favorite. Ha! I don't see that poster listed  among my posts, but I am almost sure I have a copy...)


THE MAD GHOUL: Whoo hoo! I am very thrilled to have scored this 1943 Universal horror one sheet. It's one of the lesser horror titles, obviously. I've never seen it--but zowie! LOOK at that cool poster. And what a cast! Turhan (THE SPIRITUALIST aka THE AMAZING MR. X) Bey, Evelyn (THE WOLF MAN, GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, SON OF DRACULA, etc.) Ankers, George (THE MUMMY'S HAND, THE MUMMY'S TOMB, HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, etc.) Zucco, Robert (KING KONG, SON OF KONG) Armstrong, and Milburn (Doc on the GUNSMOKE TV series) Stone.



MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS: Oh my stars! I canNOT believe I got this beauty. It's always swell to pick up another Reynold Brown one sheet anyway. But... WOW!! I am absolutely dee-lighted! Yes, it's kind of a simple design, but I have been after one forever! A just on the verge of hitting it big Troy Donahue co-stars along with The Beast. EEEK! Fun late 50s schlock-o-rama and super poster-a-go-go!
Okay, that's 10. It's not the greatest post ever, but is a step up from some of the more recent ones. It also has some really good (I think, anyway) additions. (And, yes. There is some crap I could have done without, but...)

Thanks for visiting. Keep an eye out. Hopefully I'll have another post somewhere down the line.


CHEERS!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this