Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2021 #8

 

WARNING!!! You have (inadvertently?) stumbled into the next edition of the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! EEEK! Today's exhibit features 10 posters that you may have seen before. There's nothing too AWE-inspiring, but nothing (aside from maybe the first one) too dull (for ONCE) either. It is what it is and... Quick! Take your seats. The show is about to start:

WHERE DOES IT HURT? (re-release):

Eh... I don't know what I was thinking. This was a last-minute bid (before I read the description). There's nothing wrong with the poster, I just didn't realize it was a re-release when I bought it. Oh well. It was cheap-ish...


THE SUICIDE SQUAD (International Advance):

I have no interest in seeing this. I'm not a superhero (or, in this case, maybe super villain?) kind of guy. There are entertaining moments in the preview, but as a whole it's a hard pass. HOWEVER, when I was at the theater the other day (seeing SPIRAL, the latest SAW sequel), I spied the advance US one sheet for this and really dug it. I think I was so fond of it as it was actually an artistic rendering instead of the typical Photoshopped thing. Oooooo. I wanted it. It's already hard to find, but the not-nearly-as-great international advance was available and affordable.  I got one from super poster dealer Dale Dilts on eBay (a superhero in his own way). I didn't need it, but...why not?


NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D:

A Canadian one sheet for the 3D remake. I have a couple of other copies of this. I don't know why I bothered to get another. Star Sid Haig was originally from where I live. When I was a writer for the newspaper, I got to interview him for the paper's monthly glossy magazine. I have a photo somewhere of him holding the magazine with the article while I held an autographed photo he'd given me. (Found it. It's below...) Is this film available as a 3D BluRay?



BOOMBA THE JUNGLE BOY:

Normally, I would be jumping with joy over snagging the first poster in the BOOMBA series. This was a last minute bid and, alas, I didn't have time to inspect it properly. Someone had written "Curly" in the first "B" of BOOMBA. That just broke my heart... Not even the "Filmed in glorious Sepia Tone!" quasi-gimmick can brighten my spirits after that discovery. oh well.  Back to the BOOMBA hunt I go.


JUNGLE CRUISE (final international):

Despite having ridden the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland many times, I really had no interest in seeing this flick. The HAUNTED MANSION flick was awful and, although I saw the first one (and maybe the fourth one---because my brother wanted to see it for his birthday), I was not a fan of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN movies either. I saw the advance poster with the boat and was moderately interested, noting that the poster was drawn--not just some photoshopped thing. Then I spied this final poster and... WOW! Painted poster art! Fantastic! I was really taken with this poster. I bought it and am actually now considering seeing the movie. (See what intriguing painted poster art can do? SELL the movie!)



THE SUICIDE SQUAD (Advance):
As I described with the International version of THE SUICIDE SQUAD poster, THIS is the poster I spied at the theater and...my jaw just dropped. After years of Photoshopped crap-a-rama, here we have fun (and o' sooooo deliciously exploitation-y and grindhouse-y) ART (instead of just a bunch of floating head shots). Zowie! Even though I do not dig the modern superhero flicks and have no intention of seeing this movie, I LOVE this poster. Poster seller super hero Dale Dilts says he has some of these--just hadn't unpacked them yet. I put my name in for one...but also bought this one (because I wanted to be sure I got one). What a fun, colorful poster. Hooray! Let's hope painted posters make a comeback!



RETURN OF THE JEDI (1985 re-release):
I've never been a STAR WARS fan (as I've stated here many times), but I do appreciate the fact that fans out there get rabid-crazy for the posters. If I find them cheap enough, I sometimes buy them as an investment. This is a re-release poster for the third film in the original trilogy  Not the best poster, but...



DOOR TO DOOR MANIAC:
Whoo hoo! I have wanted one of these one sheets for years. The closest I came was an insert a few years back (and I do NOT collect inserts usually). Aside from the fact that Johnny Cash (!!!) and "Ronnie" Howard star in this apparent sleaze fest, the artwork and tag line are just so grindhouse trashy-cheesy awesome! And who doesn't love a finger replacing an "I" in a title? Ha!



Q-THE WINGED SERPENT (aka THE WINGED SERPENT or Q):
I have been trying to get a Q-THE WINGED SERPENT poster for years. (At least, I don't think i have one yet. Do I?) I stumbled on this poster on some obscure auction online. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I was intrigued by the alternate title that omitted the "Q"--and, more importantly, by the art. Zowie! The movie is just so-so, but I have noticed the poster is popular. This appears to be an international version as there is no rating shown. Interesting.


LA CASA DEL TERROR:
Lon Chaney Jr stars in this Mexican werewolf comedy. Apparently, when this was imported to the US (by schlockmeister Jerry Warren), it was given the Cuisinart treatment. All of the humorous bits were cut out, scenes from THE AZTEC MUMMY were added in along with a few new bits added by Warren himself. When done, the cinematic souffle fell...and we were stuck with the mess that is THE FACE OF THE SCREAMING WEREWOLF. Still, it might be interesting to see what was originally intended...



Well, my friends, congratulations! It looks like you've survived another Shock-O-Rama Poster Show (and without soiling yourself --or the seats-- in the process)! Thank you so much for visiting. Although the next Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is already being readied (I have ONE poster so far--whoopie), it may be a while before we meet again. Take care. Happy posters! 


CHEERS!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this