Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2021 #3

Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! I have been striving (really...I HAVE) to only get good posters I either "need" or that I find "nice". Unfortunately, some repeats got me to buy them again and a few others aren't exactly What I would call "nice" or things that are "needed". Oh well... It is what it is. But you were foolish...er, lucky enough to venture in today. Have a seat. Let me help you get a better view... There's NO getting away from the poster show today.  Mwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!


GUMS:
You may be scratching your head thinking I recently got one of these posters. You would be correct. However, when I got mine, I realized there was a chunk of paper missing and I needed a replacement...so I got this. You may also be thinking that, at the time I posted the original poster, I was none too excited about it. That would also be correct. So why buy another copy if I'm not wild about it? Because I'm a dork/spazoid. Ha!



STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME:

I came across a small, online auction (with a live component on the actual day the auctions closed). During the pre-auction early bidding, I bid on several posters that were cheap. I think this is the only one I walked away with for the minimum bid of $10 (plus shipping). I didn't need it, but.. Oh well.



REVENGE OF THE DEAD:

I know I have a couple of copies of this poster. The zombie artwork is awesome---which is why I have bought more than one. Plus I found this at a reasonable "buy it now" price. I've seen this go for much higher than I paid for it. The sad thing is, that this movie is pretty much total CRAP. It's long and slow and boring...and nothing (certainly NO ZOMBIES) happens in it. The whole bit about it "containing scenes which may be considered shocking" and "no one under 17 admitted" is pure PR hokum designed to get butts in the theater (as it did with similar announcements on worthy films such as DAWN OF THE DEAD, MANIAC, and PIECES, etc.).  Still--the poster is super cool.



FROM BEYOND:

I was not entirely sure I had this poster (Do I? I probably do...).  However, this non-related follow up to RE-ANIMATOR, while not nearly as good or successful, was still interesting enough. I came across the poster as a "buy it now" for a not too crazy price and...now I'm sure I have a copy. Ha!



STAR WARS (1978 Re-Release):

I have long said I am not a STAR WARS fan, although I have seen most of the films (excluding Parts 2 and 3) in the theater. However, I know STAR WARS is a popular series and the poster sometimes demand high prices. The "Two Weeks Only" re-release from 1978 is nothing special to look at. However, it (like the STAR TREK IV poster above) was at this small online auction I stumbled on...and the price--although higher than I'd liked to have gone--was not all that expensive. Perhaps it will bring me a pretty penny later on, should I decide to sell the thing. May the Force be with STAR WARS movie poster price appreciation...



KILL BABY KILL (2017 re-release):

Yes, this is a re-release poster. I have the original release poster, but it is completely different.  This one features some of the creepy atmosphere of the film. If you haven't seen this Mario Bava flick, you are missing out on some delicious Italian horror. The film doesn't make a lot of sense,  but is macabrely wonderful to look at. I originally saw it on a cheap-o release and was so impressed I went back and got the BluRay. 



GODZILLA VS KONG (International Advance):
I really thought the last monster flick, 2018's GODZILLA-KING OF THE MONSTERS, was a dud. I was b-o-r-e-d. I'd probably NOT bother with this upcoming giant monster slug fest, except...hello? It's also a KING KONG movie---my FAVORITE of the big monsters. While I'm NOT expecting much, I am looking forward to it. As it is also a KONG film, I had to get the poster as well. I had to get a foreign copy as the US ones are cra-cra-zy high right now. They'll probably drop a year or so down the line (as evidenced by the prices falling for the previous modern GODZILLA and KONG films). I'm not expecting much at all...I just hope it doesn't totally suck.





SUSPIRIA (video poster): 

Although I have the US one sheet and a foreign poster as well, the VHS promo poster I always found pretty groovy as well. I didn't realize it was new art created for the home video release. I thought it must have been pulled (as all other video posters seemed to be) from an existing movie poster. I resisted buying a video poster because I hope to score a theatrical copy with same art. Never found one. Glad I ended up with a video release poster after all.



HOTEL RESERVE:
I knew nothing of this flick when I bought this poster. James Mason and Herbert Lom are the only names I recognize. However, I was charmed by the old-school art and graphics. It apparently a British flick from 1944 (released in the US in 1946) that involves an innocent man (Mason) who is suspected of being a spy who has to prove his innocence. It has a fairly decent 6.2 rating on IMDB. What I find flabbergasting is that it was made during WWII in England, a country that was no stranger to bombings by the Germans. I guess the world--including the movie business--doesn't screech to a halt during war time. I realize our movie industry didn't stop production, but--with the exception of the then-US territory Hawaii and the attack on Pearl Harbor--we did not have attacks on this shore during the war.


INNER SANCTUM:
Several years ago, I scored the one sheet poster for THE FROZEN GHOST. I knew nothing about the film other than it starred Lon Chaney Jr, Evelyn Ankers and Milburn Stone, which I gleaned from just looking at the poster. I also learned that it was a big screen adaptation of the INNER SANCTUM radio mysteries of the era. Nifty. I became aware that there were other INNER SANCTUM films in the series and I tucked that knowledge away in the back of my head, hoping to score the others along the way sometime. I had seen the poster below a time or two. As it was called simply INNER SANCTUM, I assumed it was the first in the series. I recently scored a copy and looked into it a bit more. Zowie! This film (and poster) hails from 1948. The film series of six films (that included THE FROZEN GHOST and all of which starred Lon Chaney Jr) cranked out by Universal that ran from 1943 - 1945. This film seems to be a one-off attempt to revive interest in the series by some lesser company (M.R.S. Pictures Inc.) after Universal threw in the towel. In fact, on the Wikipedia page for INNER SANCTUM, there is no mention of this later film at all. So, okay... I'll count it as a 7-picture series now that I've scored this poster...leaving me with 5 more posters (CALLING DR. DEATH, STRANGE CONFESSION, DEAD MAN'S EYES, WEIRD WOMAN, and PILLOW OF DEATH) left to track down... Whoopie...


That's it for now. I hope you'll come back and visit again. It's always a pleasure having you.

CHEERS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On