Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2021 #3

Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! I have been striving (really...I HAVE) to only get good posters I either "need" or that I find "nice". Unfortunately, some repeats got me to buy them again and a few others aren't exactly What I would call "nice" or things that are "needed". Oh well... It is what it is. But you were foolish...er, lucky enough to venture in today. Have a seat. Let me help you get a better view... There's NO getting away from the poster show today.  Mwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!


GUMS:
You may be scratching your head thinking I recently got one of these posters. You would be correct. However, when I got mine, I realized there was a chunk of paper missing and I needed a replacement...so I got this. You may also be thinking that, at the time I posted the original poster, I was none too excited about it. That would also be correct. So why buy another copy if I'm not wild about it? Because I'm a dork/spazoid. Ha!



STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME:

I came across a small, online auction (with a live component on the actual day the auctions closed). During the pre-auction early bidding, I bid on several posters that were cheap. I think this is the only one I walked away with for the minimum bid of $10 (plus shipping). I didn't need it, but.. Oh well.



REVENGE OF THE DEAD:

I know I have a couple of copies of this poster. The zombie artwork is awesome---which is why I have bought more than one. Plus I found this at a reasonable "buy it now" price. I've seen this go for much higher than I paid for it. The sad thing is, that this movie is pretty much total CRAP. It's long and slow and boring...and nothing (certainly NO ZOMBIES) happens in it. The whole bit about it "containing scenes which may be considered shocking" and "no one under 17 admitted" is pure PR hokum designed to get butts in the theater (as it did with similar announcements on worthy films such as DAWN OF THE DEAD, MANIAC, and PIECES, etc.).  Still--the poster is super cool.



FROM BEYOND:

I was not entirely sure I had this poster (Do I? I probably do...).  However, this non-related follow up to RE-ANIMATOR, while not nearly as good or successful, was still interesting enough. I came across the poster as a "buy it now" for a not too crazy price and...now I'm sure I have a copy. Ha!



STAR WARS (1978 Re-Release):

I have long said I am not a STAR WARS fan, although I have seen most of the films (excluding Parts 2 and 3) in the theater. However, I know STAR WARS is a popular series and the poster sometimes demand high prices. The "Two Weeks Only" re-release from 1978 is nothing special to look at. However, it (like the STAR TREK IV poster above) was at this small online auction I stumbled on...and the price--although higher than I'd liked to have gone--was not all that expensive. Perhaps it will bring me a pretty penny later on, should I decide to sell the thing. May the Force be with STAR WARS movie poster price appreciation...



KILL BABY KILL (2017 re-release):

Yes, this is a re-release poster. I have the original release poster, but it is completely different.  This one features some of the creepy atmosphere of the film. If you haven't seen this Mario Bava flick, you are missing out on some delicious Italian horror. The film doesn't make a lot of sense,  but is macabrely wonderful to look at. I originally saw it on a cheap-o release and was so impressed I went back and got the BluRay. 



GODZILLA VS KONG (International Advance):
I really thought the last monster flick, 2018's GODZILLA-KING OF THE MONSTERS, was a dud. I was b-o-r-e-d. I'd probably NOT bother with this upcoming giant monster slug fest, except...hello? It's also a KING KONG movie---my FAVORITE of the big monsters. While I'm NOT expecting much, I am looking forward to it. As it is also a KONG film, I had to get the poster as well. I had to get a foreign copy as the US ones are cra-cra-zy high right now. They'll probably drop a year or so down the line (as evidenced by the prices falling for the previous modern GODZILLA and KONG films). I'm not expecting much at all...I just hope it doesn't totally suck.





SUSPIRIA (video poster): 

Although I have the US one sheet and a foreign poster as well, the VHS promo poster I always found pretty groovy as well. I didn't realize it was new art created for the home video release. I thought it must have been pulled (as all other video posters seemed to be) from an existing movie poster. I resisted buying a video poster because I hope to score a theatrical copy with same art. Never found one. Glad I ended up with a video release poster after all.



HOTEL RESERVE:
I knew nothing of this flick when I bought this poster. James Mason and Herbert Lom are the only names I recognize. However, I was charmed by the old-school art and graphics. It apparently a British flick from 1944 (released in the US in 1946) that involves an innocent man (Mason) who is suspected of being a spy who has to prove his innocence. It has a fairly decent 6.2 rating on IMDB. What I find flabbergasting is that it was made during WWII in England, a country that was no stranger to bombings by the Germans. I guess the world--including the movie business--doesn't screech to a halt during war time. I realize our movie industry didn't stop production, but--with the exception of the then-US territory Hawaii and the attack on Pearl Harbor--we did not have attacks on this shore during the war.


INNER SANCTUM:
Several years ago, I scored the one sheet poster for THE FROZEN GHOST. I knew nothing about the film other than it starred Lon Chaney Jr, Evelyn Ankers and Milburn Stone, which I gleaned from just looking at the poster. I also learned that it was a big screen adaptation of the INNER SANCTUM radio mysteries of the era. Nifty. I became aware that there were other INNER SANCTUM films in the series and I tucked that knowledge away in the back of my head, hoping to score the others along the way sometime. I had seen the poster below a time or two. As it was called simply INNER SANCTUM, I assumed it was the first in the series. I recently scored a copy and looked into it a bit more. Zowie! This film (and poster) hails from 1948. The film series of six films (that included THE FROZEN GHOST and all of which starred Lon Chaney Jr) cranked out by Universal that ran from 1943 - 1945. This film seems to be a one-off attempt to revive interest in the series by some lesser company (M.R.S. Pictures Inc.) after Universal threw in the towel. In fact, on the Wikipedia page for INNER SANCTUM, there is no mention of this later film at all. So, okay... I'll count it as a 7-picture series now that I've scored this poster...leaving me with 5 more posters (CALLING DR. DEATH, STRANGE CONFESSION, DEAD MAN'S EYES, WEIRD WOMAN, and PILLOW OF DEATH) left to track down... Whoopie...


That's it for now. I hope you'll come back and visit again. It's always a pleasure having you.

CHEERS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2025 #12

  Hi there. Yes, I’m back again. Really, I was in a weird, crazed buying frenzy recently. I have enough posters for at least one and a half more posts… But I’ll try to pace myself and hold back a bit. These aren’t that exciting. Actually, neither is the next batch. The batch after that has one or two things I’m especially excited about, but we’ll have to see what trickles in to fill the rest of that post up. But I’m getting ahead of myself. We are on this post. Let’s take a gander at it,  shall we? I hope it won’t be too disappointing. Perhaps there’ll be a poster on here or two that you haven’t seen before. THE QUIET EARTH: While I think I’ve heard of this movie before, and I think I may have seen this poster before, I’m not quite sure. If I have seen this poster before, I don’t think I actually owned it. Like my last post, this has a few posters that were part of several lots. No, I am not posting all of the posters in the lots. Not all of them appealed to me. This one, thou...

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2025 Special Edition #1

Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show . This is a special edition of the poster show. There are no new additions listed. This is about me trying to go through all of the rolled posters I did not have tucked away yet… And the disastrous mess it caused. Last spring, when I was recovering from my cancer surgery, I decided to go through all of the rolled posters I had in tubes that had not been tucked away into my flat files. Oh my God… What a foolish and disastrous undertaking this proved to be. (And I have the really awfully photographed documentation to prove it!) I soon had posters all over the place. In my living room in my TV room and in my dining room. There were posters everywhere. In addition to deciding, which posters to frame for future inclusion on my walls… As soon as I have some free wall, space… I purchased two of the poster-sized portfolios from Baroque Portfolios .  I threw in several posters. I knew these posters would never adorn my walls, because there’s only...

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #25

  Welcome back and a big ho-ho-ho! It's my final poster post for the year. It's not a full listing of 10 posters as I usually do. There are only 8 listings (actually only 7 posters and 1 lot of vintage 3D glasses). Ha! I could have held off...but with the year winding down, I just thought I'd post what I've got and start working on 2021 (should I acquire anything between now and Dec. 31st, that is... Which is doubtful, looking ahead at my schedule). As per usual---for this year at least---there isn't really anything monumental in this batch (although one of the posters has been much sought after for a long while now). My move to Washington state has been delayed until next fall (and that is a long story), so I expect any 2021 posters to be less than spectacular as well (because I'll be wanting to save my pennies for the move---and I don't want to keep re-packing the mess that is my movie posters). Anyway, here's the latest and last batch for the year. Ta...