Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #21



Hello! Welcome back to a most unexpected new edition of the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! Why unexpected? Because I wasn't going to buy any posters for a while due to an upcoming move. However, against my better judgement, I bought another poster "lot". Most of the posters were crap (and I WILL spare you those). I was after one specific poster, of course...and got the other (mostly) trash just for that one title. In addition, since I got the lot, I picked up a couple of other things (since I knew I'd now need to pull a post together). What that means is---oh JOY!--only 8 of these posters (instead of all 10) are from the lot. So don't expect to be blown away (at all)!

While I'm at it, another post of projects I've been working on has been sitting idle for a long, long while. I've decided to tack it on at the bottom of this post. I'll explain why I added it when we get there.



Okay---let's get into this thing and get it over with:


JOY STICKS:

Of all of the lot poster titles, I opted to include this 80s video game sex comedy. I've never seen it and the only name I recognize in it is Joe Don Baker (in a sex comedy? Oh my....that may be something I DON'T want to see either). I don't think I had this poster before (unlike several others in the lot), so...here it is.





48 HRS:

I probably already have one of these...but who knows? (I certainly don't know...my collection is such a mess.)Not the most exciting poster ever, but it is for a decent movie---one of Eddie Murphy's better flicks (as well as Nick Nolte's). The always interesting James Remar is also in the flick.





THE MAN WITH BOGART'S FACE: 

Here is another poster I may already have---but that no one seems to have seen or know much about. I remember seeing the trailer for this in the 70s. The lead actor (Robert Sacchi) really does resemble Bogart (and he has played Bogart...or Bogart-like characters several times). I'm guessing this mystery/comedy was written with him in mind? The "mystery" about this film, for me anyway, is that after seeing the trailer --- the film never came to my town. And I really wanted to see it.
 Someone somewhere mentioned the film was crap....which is probably the case (and may be why it never showed up in the theaters near me). This flick at least has an interesting cast: Franco Nero, Michelle Phillips, Olivia Hussey, Misty Rowe, Victor Buono, Sybil Danning, and Herbert Lom.





THE MAGICAL ADVENTURES OF THE GINGERBREAD MAN:

Yes, this was a lot purchase as well. It's no secret I have a penchant for kiddie matinee posters. I have seen this title around many times---however, I am reasonably sure I never bothered to get this one before. My stars---this is one of the WORST posters I've ever seen for a kiddie matinee. What kid would WANT to see this? It looks like it would be torture to sit through (as most kiddie matinees were anyway---but this one looks especially awful). This comes from Barry Mahon who is mostly known for his nudie output in the 60s. He switched to kiddie matinee flicks late in his career. This one, though...I can not seem to find any information on (although somewhere someone posted it was also known as THE GINGERBREAD BOY).




PANDEMONIUM:

I remember reading about PANDEMONIUM in the pages of FANGORIA magazine back in the day. The 80s horror spoof started off life as THURSDAY THE 12TH (which is why it registered on my radar). I don't recall if it played in my town or not---but I remember finally catching it on video during the VHS era. However, I don't remember much about it other than there is some CARRIE elements to it. And what a cast--there are those listed on the poster, but also people like: Eve Arden, Tab Hunter (both pictured on the poster--but not listed on the poster's credits), Kaye Ballard, Donald O'Conner, Edie McClurg, Lynne Marie Stewart and John Paragon (Miss Yvonne and Jambi from PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE), Eileen Brennan, Judge Reinhold and many others. As I said, I don't recall much about the flick...but am considering giving it a second look. Vinegar Syndrome recently released this on BluRay...so there's still interest in it out there.






GORP:

This flick came out in the wake of the success of MEATBALLS...but this one was R rated. I remember wanting to see it--but I was only a freshman. And while my grandmother took me to see horror flicks as a kids (What a sweetheart she was to do so), I didn't ask to have her take me to this because I had no idea what to expect in an R-rated sex comedy...and I thought I'd be embarrassed to see it with my grandma, so....  To this day, I've not seen it yet.

GORP has a decent cast. There's a young Dennis Quad and Fran Drescher as well as David Huddleston (He was Santa in SANTA CLAUS THE MOVIE) and Michael Lembeck (Capt Kool, as in Captain Kool and the Kongs from the KROFT SUPERSHOW.... anyone? Anyone?). American International Pictures released this flick. It was their last release. (Wiki claims the last film was HOW TO BEAT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, but that is incorrect.) They made a mint with THE AMITYVILLE HORROR, but lost their butt with the literal disaster movie METEOR and things like C.H.O.M.P.S, THE NORSEMEN, and MATILDA. This trickled out just before being sold to Filmways.





SCHIZOID:

No, this is NOT some wild, alternative poster for the 1980 Klaus Kinski movie. And NO, despite Lucio Fulci being the director, this isn't some long-lost Fulchi masterpiece.  Yes, he directed it, but it is actually a retitling of A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN. I was not sure if I had one of these already or not...but I got this fairly inexpensively...just in case I didn't have it.






THE HUMAN FACTOR:

DO I have this already? Hmm. I have always admired this nice Tanenbaum poster artwork, but have never seen the flick.  That gun just jumps right out at ya.





STORY BOOK TEA PARTY:

Okay---I can already envision you shaking your head in disbelieve--but THIS is the poster I bought the lot for. Yes, I got one of these before. However, when that one arrived, there was a chunk missing from the top of the poster near the center fold. Argh! To everyone else, this would be a throwaway poster...but, hello? I'm the dude who digs the kiddie matinee posters...and this one I had never seen before until recently. Instead of complaining about the missing piece, I tried for other lots with the same poster in them...and looked on eBay for a copy. I missed out on other lots that included it...but finally managed to score one again. Hooray! Free prizes to everyone! This is a K. Gordon Murray extravaganza, of course.






THE CURSE OF HER FLESH:

A lot of one sheets for this title started showing up a while back. I've been constantly trying to get one. Finally....I scored!  THE CURSE OF HER FLESH is the second (and probably least interesting) of the FLESH trilogy by roughie sleaze royal couple Michael and Roberta Findlay. The first flick was THE TOUCH OF HER FLESH and the last being THE KISS OF HER FLESH. All three are available on a triple-bill DVD from Something Weird Video.



That is the 10 posters for this post. But there is still MORE to see:

 I had been working on some poster projects around the house. But...they sort of fell by the wayside as things in my personal life took center stage. I had started a post about this. It just went unfinished as I anticipated having other projects to work on/complete. With my move coming early next year, I am now planning to take my posters down from my walls and remove them from the frames--to ensure they are not damaged in the move. (I will be using a moving company---and I will be going from California to Washington state. I've heard too many moving horror stories. I'll keep the posters with me in a box on my way up there.) I expect to start doing this in early November (after enjoying them through Halloween, of course).

Here is what I had been working on:

I framed my military re-release of THE WOLF MAN. It amazes me that just a few years ago, I'd have turned my nose up at a military poster. But for Universal monster movies? Beggars can't be choosers and I actually do dig this poster.


I also framed a copy of the obscure CORPSE EATERS posters. 



And here they are, gracing the space between my bedroom window and my bathroom.


I also traded out some posters on this hallway wall. Nothing too exciting, but I am thrilled to have the painted-style of RE-ANIMATOR, MANIAC, and the original THE BLOB up on the wall, so I can finally enjoy them. FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER and ANDY WARHOL'S DRACULA were already there.



And that's it. Hopefully this will be my last post until AFTER the move. (Well, unless something really FAB comes my way...) Thank you (as always) for visiting.



CHEERS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On