Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #20


Hi there. Against my better intentions, it is poster time once again...so, WELCOME BACK!  There's nothing super special to see this time. (Of course, there hasn't been anything super special to see in my posts for a while now... Ha!) As I am trying to save money and get ready for a move, my heart just isn't in it right now. BUT--I can NOT seem to go "cold turkey," no matter what I do. There's always a new auction somewhere...and I just can't help but take a peek at them. One thing leads to another...and before you know it, I've bought posters. Again. Oh well...

So--let's get this over with. Let's take a look at the new items-a-go-go that have been added to my collection (if your heart can stand the terror...and your mind can stand the boredom...):






THE ZOMBIE'S RAGE (re-release):

This is better known as THE GRIM REAPER (as it was originally released here in the USA) or as ANTHROPOPHAGUS, which it is called on DVD/BluRay and I believe what it was called in Italy, where it was made. Retitled THE ZOMBIE'S RAGE after ZOMBIE hit it big here. I have a copy of this poster already, but it came with another poster in the batch.





WILD WILD WORLD:

It's Mondo time again with this low-rent MONDO CANE wannabe. From 1965 and loaded with nothing you haven't seen before in other mondo docs. Great tag line though: "So startling... so shocking... so strange.. you won't believe it even after you've seen it!"





THE OSCAR:

Zowie! It's the poster for one of the all-time worst movies! It's kind of like a male-version of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, but centered on the male equivalent of the Neely O'Hara character, Frankie Fane (Stephen Boyd), who climbs his way up the Hollywood ladder, tooth and nail, and leaving devastation in his wake. Campy and cheesy...with an all-star cast (lots of which are cameos not listed on the poster).





HARDBODIES:

80's sex comedy... I didn't realize I had this poster already. Oh well. It came with another 80s poster I didn't have---so this was kind of a bonus.





HOT DOG-THE MOVIE:

I had never wanted to see this 80s sex comedy set at a ski resort...until Synapse released the unrated producer's cut of the film on BluRay earlier this year. Ha! I know I didn't already have the poster...so why not? Shannon Tweed and David (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON) Naughton star.





HELLHOLE:

 In an early issue of FANGORIA magazine (possibly issue #1 ?), I read about a movie called HUMAN EXPERIMENTS. I was intrigued and wanted to see it...but it never came to my town. When the VHS era happened, I looked for it...but couldn't find it. The closest I could come to it was HELLHOLE, which sounded like it might be HUMAN EXPERIMENTS under another name. It wasn't the same movie, but this flick has a cheapness and campiness all its own...and just look at that incredible B-movie cast: Ray Sharkey (!), Marjoe Gortner (!!), Judy Landers (!?!), Edy Williams (!!??!!), Terry Moore (!!!!!??????) and Mary Woronov (!!!!!!!!). WOW!!!






DADDY'S DEADLY DARLING (re-release):

This is an ugly poster. Why get it? Because...it is a rare one. I had never seen a copy before. DADDY'S DEADLY DARLING is better known as PIGS, which is the title I saw it under at the drive-in in the early/mid-80s (on a double bill with MOTEL HELL). I hated PIGS, but I had to respect it. It was the first time I was ever suckered into seeing a decade plus-old movie, repackaged to look new. The commercials and newspaper ads also screamed that it starred Katherine Ross (!!!) Of course, Katherine Ross was NOT Katharine Ross, star of THE GRADUATE or BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. Instead, Katherine Ross was some old lady who only had a small part in the film. And the PIGS? They didn't do much...and almost seemed secondary to the rest of the movie. I later learned this film had several titles. In addition to PIGS and DADDY'S DEADLY DARLING, it was also called ROADSIDE TORTURE CHAMBER (which I might have the poster for), THE STRANGE LOVE EXORCIST, and BLOOD PEN, among others. Vinegar Syndrome released it on BluRay a while back.








DARK WATERS:

This is a new poster...not a vintage one sheet. There was no (USA) one sheet for this flick. This was printed (27x39) by the video company Severin Films for the BluRay release of the film. And what an odd--yet amazing--film this is. It isn't the most coherent thing (I'm still not sure what I saw), but the atmosphere and sets are incredible. I was surprised. I bought this--not because it was a made up one sheet...but, even though this is a "fake" of sorts, it was autographed by the director, Mariano Baino. I was that impressed with the film, that I thought I'd like the signed poster as well. This is Italian nunsploitation like you've never seen before. Weird.







CORPSE EATERS:

I have several copies of this obscure zombie flick poster from the 70s. In fact, one of my copies is framed and hanging in my bedroom. It amazes me that this film, which is for a rare, hard-to-find regional rarity, had so many copies of the poster made...when it hardly played anywhere at all. Cool poster regardless. It is definitely a fave.





 SANGAREE (3D):

I probably already have one of these, but I am such a sucker for gimmicks, 50's 3D in particular, that I couldn't help but buy this copy (too?). Kino Lorber released the film on 3D BluRay a few years ago. I have it--but need a 3D TV to see it with. Waaaagh! Despite the 3D gimmick, the poster isn't all that in-your-face interesting. This was from one of eMovie's auctions (as are several others on here). Thank you, as always, Bruce.





And that is the 10 for today. See... there wasn't anything too fabulous and it was slightly better than the recent (and much dreaded) "IT CAME FROM THE AUCTION LOT" posts of recent months.

I'll be back eventually---but (hopefully) not for a long while, unless I finish some of my projects and have those ready to share. In the mean time, as I dig through my boxes and boxes of posters, feel free to visit my Instagram...as I photograph and post the stuff in the boxes on there. My account handle is: https://www.instagram.com/theshockoramapostershow/

Okay kiddies, it is time for me to cha-cha-cha off into the sunset (or at least into the guest room, where I have a huge pile o' laundry waiting to be folded. O' the glamorous life of a go-go-ing monster/poster hoarder...).

Stay groovy!



CHEERS!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On