Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #5



Greetings! Welcome. You DARED to return for more vintage movie poster shocks, horrors and surprises, huh? It is a pretty mixed bag this time, but I do hope you enjoy your visit. There are 11 (yes, a BONUS poster) this time. It may be my last post of this type for a long, long while, so I wanted to get everything up I've recently gotten.  Why is it my last new poster purchase post for a long time? Well, I'll get to all of that later.




Go catch the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show. The lights are just starting to dim....






THAT'LL BE THE DAY (British quad):

I was totally unfamiliar with this title (that apparently was successful enough to spawn a sequel called STARDUST) when I spotted this British quad. It's a little rough (missing a corner) and not anything I wanted really. It just came with the quad below it (which I wanted). Sooo...   I think the illustration of David Essex looks more like Paul Le Mat as he looked in AMERICAN GRAFFITI. I love the ad on the bottom (see below) advertising the movie's soundtrack album from Ronco. Oh my stars! RONCO? Does anyone else remember Ronco? Ha!








HITCH HIKE (aka DEATH DRIVE) (British quad):

Despite the horrendous art, this was the quad I was going for when I got THAT'LL BE THE DAY. HITCH HIKE, for those unfamiliar with it, is another LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT knockoff, albeit set in a car. Corinne ("Story of O"/"Moonraker") Clery and Franco (the original "DJANGO"/"THE LAST SHARK HUNTER") Nero star along with David Hess, who is essentially playing the Krug part he originated in LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT as a hitchhiker who terrorizes the couple who pick him up.






ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES (small French):

I already have one of these, but I stumbled on this and it was a good price, so...





RAMBO-THE LAST MAN (?!?) (Thai):

A guy on Instagram named grindhousecellar turned me on to this joyfully bizarre Turkish RAMBO ripoff called KORKUSUZ (RAMPAGE). When I came across this poster, I knew it wasn't a Stallone RAMBO flick. But I don't think it is KORKUSUZ either. A little more digging revealed that there are several bogus RAMBO imitations out there. In fact, there are two different Turkish RAMBO ripoffs (VAHSI KAN is the Turkish version of FIRST BLOOD) and others from other countries. There are the Bruno Mattei's STRIKE COMMANDO (with Reb Brown)and STRIKE COMMANDO 2 (with Brent Huff). There is something called DEADLY PREY that it might be.  Based on the illustration, my guess is that this poster is for one of the two RAMBO-ish films starring a guy named Peter O'Brian. One film is the incredibly awesome, so-bad-it's-good flick THE INTRUDER (in which his character's name is Rambu instead of Rambo). His other film is called THE STABILIZER (like a mix of RAMBO and THE EQUILIZER, but made  in Indonesia). But I'm not even sure if that guess is correct. The plane in the upper left corner throws me off. I don't recall seeing it in any of them. Perhaps there are even more outrageous RAMBO ripoffs out there? Any ideas?








FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 6: JASON LIVES:

I already have a copy of this, but it is for one of the better films in the series and, hello? It was uber cheap.





FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 8: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (Advance):

This is the recalled advance for F138...  I already have a copy or two of this as well. But this came with the Part 6 poster above and they were both super cheap. SOLD.





THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE and IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN (re-release combo):

I already have a copy of this poster as well,,,but the coloring is different on my other copy. Mine is black and the darker green only. The lighter green on this poster is all the darker green (I think...) or perhaps it is a different shade of green. Something about this is different color-wise. But either way, it is still a cool poster. IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN (1971) was originally known as ASSAULT, but underwent a title change to sound more diabolical for its re-release pairing up with THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE (1972) after the success of THE EXORCIST.




PITUITARY HUNTER (!?!) (Thai):

Holy crap. What is this gross-out, gonzo Thai (?) movie? PITUITARY HUNTER? With a picture of a person with part of their skull removed, a bared brain and a needle poking into it? Zowie! You don't see junk like that on American one sheets. Ha! Bizarre-o-rama! It was cheap-ish, so SOLD!





FACES OF DEATH 4 (Thai):

I had no idea any of the FACES OF DEATH flicks ever played theatrically anywhere. Although they are partially faked "shockumentaries" (with real news/police footage as well), they are not my cup o' tea at all. However, when I saw this, I knew it must be rare. I am looking at movie posters all of the time and have never before seen one for any of the FACES OF DEATH flicks. Ever. So, I snatched this one up. Freaky image.







LEGEND OF HORROR and DIABOLIC WEDDING (combo):

This is a super looking double feature poster. I have no idea what MAGICMATION might be--and yet, BOTH films are said to be in it. Golly gee. My only guess as to what MAGICMATION might be is how the films were made. Both are anthology films. LEGEND OF HORROR features a segment that was from an Argentinean film. (The rest was filmed in the USA). DIABOLIC WEDDING features a segment shot here in the US but the rest of the film was shot in Peru. Perhaps the MAGICMATION refers to the part American/Part South American nature of the films? I don't know. But I like the gimmick of MAGICMATION (whatever it might be) and it's kind of a fun double feature one sheet. Why not?




A VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD (Large French):

Here is my prize for this listing, a large-style French poster for Jess Franco's A VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD. Oh my stars! I have wanted one of these for years! The art on this is just incredible. Wow! Wow! WOW!!!  I can't believe I finally scored one. Yahoo!





And that is all for now, kiddies. I'll be back---but I am taking a long break from poster buying. Things have come up and I find I really must just step back for a bit until I get some issues settled and under control. I will still post if I have any interesting updates or projects to share, but as far as buying new posters---that will just have to wait. (In fact, I'll be doing just the opposite. One of the things I plan on doing during my "hiatus" is weeding out my collection and finding stuff to send to auction and/or sell on (fl)e(a)Bay.) In the mean time, I've been re-posting my posters (only have about 500 up so far---tons and tons more to go. UGH!) on Instagram. I didn't think I'd ever use Instagram, but it is a great way to see all of my posters all at once just by scrolling down. But, for some reason, I've already been banned from leaving descriptions on my posts or "liking" anything on my page or on anyone  else's. Ha! Anyway, check it out if you like. The link is HERE.

Okay---it's cha-cha-cha time!

Have a go-go groovy spring.

I'll see you here again sooner or later.



CHEERS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this