Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2019 # 20

You!  Fellow movie poster collector or aficionado, I am talking to YOU. You are “the coolest people in town” and I THANK YOU for visiting my humble post.


Today’s post will be a little on the crappy side, I’m afraid. For one thing, it is rushed. I’m visiting the L.A. area at the moment and am using my tablet—-which I’m not a fan of using (I like my old-fashioned desktop computer at home. Also—and probably most importantly—the posters presented today are NOTHING special and, in several cases, repeats of things I already have [SNORE!]. To try to make things a tad better (or possibly bore you to tears faster), there is a BONUS 11th poster thrown into the mix. oh boy...  If you want your money back, go now. If you feel bored at any time, please feel free to leave. Hopefully you’ll give me other chances and come back again in the future, though?

Help yourself to goodies. I may have crappy posters today, but at least I am a good host. Ooo... there’s the flickering lights. The show is about to start. Grab your seats now...



DIRTIEST GIRL I EVER MET:

No, I’ve NEVER seen this flick, nor will I bother probably. Why get the poster? Well, sucker for gimmicks that I am, I totally dug the bogus “Conditions of admission” notice on the top of the poster. Yeah, right. They aren’t gonna turn anyone with cash away from the theater. Ha! Also, if I am not mistaken, the ad art was used (in newspapers—-not on one sheets] for the showings of POOR WHITE TRASH (aka BAYOU] and the “sequel” in name only POOR WHITE TRASH 2 [aka SCUM OF THE EARTH].




THE HEARSE:

Not an exciting poster. Not an exciting movie either. This was cheap...but I didn't need it at all. I already have a few---in better shape.

                 



TORSO:

This poster came with THE HEARSE--and, again, I already have several copies.... I remember when this flick came out, hot on the heels of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. I wanted to see either of them so badly. Of course, I wasn't even 10 yet and did NOT get to go. TORSO is an Italian flick--and as I write this, I still have NOT seen it (but it is in my pile o' DVDs and should be viewed very soon...like by Thanksgiving if not earlier. If I could just bother to stay home for a while instead of running all over the place, I'll get to it... Ha!)





How is the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show going so far? 

Crickets....

Okay. Moving  along...

TERROR TRAIN:

Something else I didn't need and already have. What is wrong with me? WHY do I do that? GRR! Anyway, I have always liked TERROR TRAIN. But another copy of the poster I did NOT need. (It was cheap...of course).






THE BEAST MUST DIE:

This one I actually DID need. This poster isn't rare at all---I've just never been able to snag one. Although it was not intended to be a blaxploitation film (Actor Robert Quarry was going to be the lead), the producers decided to capitalize on the hit blaxploitation film phenomenon, especially the blaxploitation horror flicks (BLACULA, SCREAM BLACULA SCREAM, BLACKENSTEIN, & ABBEY) and make this into a pseudo blaxploitation werewolf flick and cast Calvin Lockhart as the lead. Peter Cushing and Charles Gray are also in it. Plus, the flick has a giimmick mentioned on the poster. In the movie there is a "Werewolf Break"--where the audience has time to decide who they think the werewolf is. That's it. It does not affect the movie's outcome at all and there is no prize for correctly guessing--it's just a little recap to guess who the werewolf is. Ha! So, blaxploitation werewolf movie AND a gimmick? I had to have it.






47 METERS DOWN:

I like my JAWS knockoffs. I saw this flick and hated the ending. It was an okay thriller, but the film (and the poster) weren't so fabulously awesome/cheesy as say TINTORERA or GREAT WHITE, so I delayed buying the poster. I saw it listed cheap and thought why not? I have not seen the recent sequel yet. Any good?




DOCTOR SLEEP (Teaser):

Except for certain franchises I dig (such as HALLOWEEN or FRIDAY THE 13TH or James Bond flicks), I generally avoid posters for sequels. I read DOCTOR SLEEP and it is nothing like THE SHINING, but seeing "REDRUM" on this teaser made me excited to see it. The poster was not very expensive, so...





DOCTOR SLEEP (Advance):

As I was looking for the poster above, I was made aware of this new poster. It is not that exciting either...actually kind of lame...but it was not expensive, so I decided to get it too. I do have to say that I am so glad the makers of this film apparently decided to make it a sequel to the classic Kubrick version of THE SHINING (that Stephen King does not like) instead of that TV mini-series version (that King does like--but no one else cares about) or a sequel to a version that was never filmed (i.e. the film makes up its own version for the back story). I want to see this now because of the way they seem to have weaved in Kubrick's film.




How is the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show going so far? Has it gotten any better? Is it as bad as I thought it would be? 


Oh my...


SUSPIRIA:

I did not need this either...I already have one and in better shape. Ha! I do NOT know why I bid on this---and so intensely. I was outbid several times and finally got it, paying way too much for it, I believe. Still it is SUSPIRIA, Dario Argento's masterpiece. I do remember the TV commercial for it that had nothing to do with the film...with a woman (back to the camera) brushing her hair, repeating a rhyme from the film. On the last line, she turns around and she's a skeleton. Then the name SUSPIRIA (as shown on the poster) appears and the letters seem organic and alive, pulsating and breathing. Wonderfully creepy!




GHOST STORIES (Yellow style):

I know nothing about this flick---never heard of it. Never saw it. Nothing. But the poster was so wildly cool looking, I had to have it.






GHOST STORIES (Pink style):

This one was also up for auction as at the same time as the one above. This was even more hallucinogenic and bizarre. Wowzer!  Has anyone seen this flick? Do I need to track it down and see it? It looks very cool.





That's it for now. Thanks for visiting, but I've got to dash. I'm off to get a pedicure from Kathy Bates. James Caan recommends her highly.



See you soon, I hope? Hello? Did anyone make it all of the way through? Hello? Hmm.


CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this