Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #7

 

Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! Okay...so, it's only been two amd a half months since the last post. Better than I would have anticipated...but it still feels like a million years since we were all last here. As usual, there's some crap on display...but also some better stuff. (Well, I think it's "better stuff" anyway.) Let's take a peek-a-boo-a-gogo, shall we? Here's what I've got for you this time:

NAKED FLAME/OPERATION CROSS EAGLE (combo): Okay--NOT the best poster ever. Although the top half has a great tag line ("Nude protests erupt in flaming violence"), the real reason I bought this snoozer of a double bill is because of where it came from. As a lover of odd, strange, obscure, cheesy, grindhouse movies, I have been a huge fan of the video distribution company SOMETHING WEIRD VIDEO. Through Something Weird , I finally got to see movies by HG Lewis, Doris Wishman, Joe Sarno, etc. I saw bizarre-O sexploitation flicks, crazy kiddie matinee movies, Mexican horror shockers, and more! Something Weird opened the doors to so many wondrous cinematic sleaze fests. I was in heaven when I discovered them. So what does this poster have to do with Something Weird Video? A friend here in Seattle knows the widow of the founder, Mike Vraney. Lisa Petrucci has assumed the mantle of CEO and is in the process of downsizing the company. She had a yard sale last month and I was invited to go. I went hoping to score some great posters from their wild, ecclectic catalog. However, what was available wasn't all that interesting. This was the best thing I came across. So, it's not so much the poster I like, but where it came from. But the experieence was awesome---and there was an open house at the Something Weird headquartes a short time later (where some amazing vintage posters were on display for my drooling eyes. I wrote about all of that (with photos!) if anyone is interested. You can see it HERE

DRACULA CONTRA FRANKENSTEIN (Spanish): Yea...this was a mistake. I didn't notice the torn corner until after I was bidding. (I was on the phone. I can't see on the phone. Argh!) Maybe I can hide it with a frame? At least the image is intact.


HAUNTED MANSION (2023): I am looking forward to this new Haunted Mansion flick...but I don't have great expectatrions for it. This was cheap though...


THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER (Teaser): This poster was a bargain---it was FREE. A friend's husband works for UPS and occasionally they get items to be destroyed because the company receiving them has gone out of business or returns are not accept. My friend Gillian's husband snagged me some posters heading for a now-defunct theater. There were other posters with it, posters for THE FLASH, BARBIE, BLUE BEETLE, and maybe a few others. But this one caught my eye. A new Dracula movie? I had no idea. 


INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (International style B): Before the latest Indiana Jones flick debuted and was hearlded as a flop (But really...it cost nearly $300 million to make. How could it NOT "fail"?) Anyway, I'm sure prices are dropping, but I scored this weeks before the film came out...probably at top dollar. Oops! I just wanted to be sure I got one.


INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY (Style A):  I should have been happy with this one alone. The other was poor judgement, perhaps. This one looks the most like the other posters in the series. I haven't seen it yet, but I will--and soon--in the theater. (If I can find one still playing it...)


THE TOXIC AVENGER: While I have seen the first two (three?) of the TOXIC AVENGER movies back in the VHS days, I was never a big fan. I found the humor too slapstick and sophomoric. Yet here I am with the poster. Why? I was there. It was available. End of story.


GHOST CHASERS: It's funny, but out of the dozens of Bowery Boys movies, I have never seen a single one. You'd think some enterprising video company would have released a boxed set or something somehwhere along the way. I have a few of their posters--including BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (or something like that). Silly or not, I wasn't about to pass up a 72-year-old poster with a ghost on it. I already have this framed!

THE MAZE (3D style/linen): 
Whoo hoo! This is my prize this time. I love me some vintage paper (although this one is unfortunately adhered to linen) from the original 3D flicks of the 1950s. I have been after a copy of THE MAZE for a long time. I am sooooo glad I scored this one. Yowza!

And that is, as they say, THAT! That's 10 for this post. But, believe it or not, I already have a good start on the NEXT post. I delayed "publishing" this as I've had other projects come along that have hindered my writing of the Something Weird post. I had to wait until that was done before adding the link here.

Speaking of links, I have been remiss in linking my mail art blog pages containing my faux horror movie poster-like envelopes to these posts. I'll post the most recent five. One of them has an interview with me about my mail art. (WARNING: I look horrible now.) Take a peek-a-boo looky-loo or don't.
Mail Art #25

And that really is it for now. Thanks for checking out the Poster Show this time. 
CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this