Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #1


Happy new year and welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! It's the first day of the new year and...what? I'm B-A-C-K with a new post already? How is that possible when I'm so poor? It's called freebies from the theater. (I'm not proud. I'll gladly take them!)
But let's take a look quickly. I know you are hung over and/or have games to watch today. Let's get this poster show on the road...

BLACK ADAM:
I am no superhero fan. I did not (and probably never will) see this flick. Why the poster then? It was a free one. 


EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (Advance):
I have no idea what this flick is about. I'd never heard of it. This was a freebie in a box of rolled posters. I could see the googly eyes showing on the end of the rolled poster, was intrigued, and snagged it. 

BROS:
The free poster caravan continues with this thing. Never heard of it. Whatever. It was free.

STRANGE WORLD (Advance):
I bought one of these posters awhile back. I found the art and the world depicted creative and imaginative. I dug the pulp lettering of the title and the faux fold lines, trying to make it look rather grindhouse (for an animated movie).  But if I already bought one, why get another copy (actually TWO more copies)? Because, of course, it was FREE! Thank you Oak Harbor Cinemas!


I'VE LIVED BEFORE:
As I have done too many times in the past--and stupidly did again (when I can NOT afford anything at all), I bid on a bunch of posters for an auction, walked away expecting to get none...and end up winning things I did not need. Case in point--this one. I already have a copy and  this was from Heritage. WOW! It had been so long since I'd purchased from them. I had forgotten how much all of their fees totaled. YIKES! My wallet died again...


RABID:

Same exact story as above (the I'VE LIVED BEFORE poster). Same auction house, too. OUCH. 

GHOST STORY/CIRCLE OF FEAR (Screen-worn jacket):
Okay...you have probably NEVER heard of this one season TV horror anthology from the 1972-73 TV season. Aside from it being a failed wannabe TWILIGHT ZONE/NIGHT GALLERY, why the interest in it? Well, for starters, if was produced by one of my all-time fave B-movie icons, gimmick king William Castle. The jacket was worn by the series narrator Sebastian Cabot, who was better known for playing Mr. French, the gentleman's gentleman (i.e. "butler") on Family Affair back in the 60s. A little more than midway thru the season, Cabot's character was axed and the title changed from GHOST STORY to CIRCLE OF FEAR....where it went to die after only 8 more episodes. It may NOT be the most exciting costume piece ever--but I'll be excited about it. I have a dvd of GHOST STORY/CIRCLE OF FEAR somewhere (unless I stupidly sold it off before my move.) I'm thrilled to own this.

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT:
I'm not sure what this is. It's a movie poster--but not for a movie theater. instead, it is for Disney+. I know nothing of this movie. (Series?) But, it's a werewolf flick, so why not? It wasn't that expensive. I wonder if it is based on the old comic book of the same name? It's from Marvel, so maybe...



BLOOD & FLESH: THE REEL LIFE & GHASTLY DEATH OF AL ADAMSON:
To me (and probably NO ONE ELSE), this is a tremendous find. Measuring only 18 x 23 1/2 inches, this is a poster promoting the "world premiere" (and probably ONLY theatrical showing) of a documentary made for Severin, the home media company that put out an Al Adamson boxed set a year or so ago. I didn't get the boxed set (I love "bad movies", but I've seen a LOT of Adamson's stuff already and didn't need to spend big bucks to suffer through them again...), but I DID buy/watch this stand alone (well, it was paired with Adamson's THE FEMALE BUNCH) DVD (or was it Blu-Ray?) when it came out. Adamson made a lot of fun and crazy crap (and it was crap)--and he also did meet with a horrific end. I'm thrilled to have this modern relic. (DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN, the second feature listed on the poster, is probably Adamson's best known movie...and it's craptastic.)



ARMY OF THE DEAD:
I am not quite sure what this is. Is it a ,movie poster or an ad for Netflix? The poster states it played theatrically. Is that where I saw it? I'm not sure--but I'm dang glad to have the poster.
And that was my quick ten for the first post of 2023, baby! I hope you have a healthy, happy, and prosperous poster-hunting new year.

CHEERS!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this