Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2021 #15


Greetings! And welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! My stars! The clock is ticking on my upcoming move--and what do I do? Buy MORE posters! UGH! Here then, quickly, is a look at what I picked up in my last days left in California.

It's not much, but... HERE it is:

VILLAGE PEOPLE - RENAISSANCE (Album promotional poster):

Ha! Ha! Ha! I just have to laugh. On a Sunday evening, after an exhausting, full day of packing for my move, I got an invoice from Movie Poster Exchange. Of all of the things I had bid on, the ONLY poster I had won was this crazy craptastic Village People poster for the promotion of their (forgotten) album RENAISSANCE. So why would I bid on this? Well, just look at it. Too funny. It's no secret I like trash. I came to "discover" (if that is the right term) the Village People LONG after they were off of anyone's radar. They were just too campy and unintentionally funny not to dig them. Their RENAISSANCE album (which I bought, like all of their albums, years after it came out---and do not remember any of the songs listed below) came out after disco had died and they were struggling to stay relevant. Renaissance was their attempt to become part of the (what was it called?) New Romantic (??) movement of the 80s (i.e. Spandau Ballet, The Romantics, etc.). Instead, their attempted New Romantic makeup job looks more like Clown School Cosmetology 101. What they hell were they thinking? Somewhere around this time they tried to change their names to the hip sounding (??) "The VPs"--and that was a big FAIL, too! Ha! Too funny. Just like this poster. it makes me laugh. I haven't bothered with the VPs, er...Village People in years. But what the heck? 



BLAST-OFF GIRLS:

I already have one of these---but this HG Lewis poster was going for less than I thought it should, so...I bid and...the rest is history and a slightly higher credit card balance. 


THIS STUFF'LL KILL YA!:

Another Herschell Gordon Lewis poster I already had and another I thought was going too cheaply. So, I bought it...


WHAT WAITS BELOW:

I know nothing about this flick. I'm guessing it's bad (which would not be a surprise at all). I did like the clever use of the stalagmites and stalactites of the cave in the artwork to suggest teeth in a frightening mouth. It was cheap. Eh...




THE LIVING IDOL:
I admit, I have not seen this flick. Someone posted a copy of this poster that they had on All Poster Forum a few years ago. The image of the woman tied to the stakes and the wild verbiage ("Amazing drama of love and reincarnation") hooked me. I started seeking a copy out for myself, and finally... Voila!



BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA:
This is not the most attractive poster ever. It's kind of BLAH actually. I've been looking for one--casually-not so desperately...for years. Whoopie for me, I finally scored one. What's the deal? This was the very first Sam Peckinpah movie I ever saw. With a title like BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA, is that any surprise that I gleefully rented this puppy in the VHS era? Ha! It wasn't what I expected at all--but it was a decent introduction to Peckinpah, and I am forever glad to have made his "acquaintance", so to speak. YEARS later, when I was a writer at The Fresno Bee newspaper, I ended up having to do a (very glossed over, quickie) article on Peckinpah. I didn't know it until I started the research, but Peckinpah was born in Fresno in 1925 (which was probably why I was given the assignment. Duh!)--so there was yet another connection or two. 



KING KONG (1968 re-release?):
I came across one of these a couple of years ago on eBay. I should have bought it then (it was cheaper) and I was really considering it...but then someone else did. Argh! And this poster is a bit of a mystery... It's an odd size, 25x38, but it seems as if it is (trying to be?) a legit re-release poster. Just look at the verbiage on it. It's no secret I dig KING KONG. So why didn't I snatch this up right away before? Because of one stupid thing... The artwork is not original. It's the the poster art for KONGA, reversed and in black & white with the one arm raised higher and the biplanes added in. 



FRANKENSTEIN (Egyptian 2000s re-release):
Normally, I'd skip re-releases---but when it comes to certain posters that I will NEVER be able to afford, I sometimes make an exception. From a recent eMovieposter auction, I picked up this Egyptian FRANKENSTEIN re-release. I'm not wild that it's a one sheet using an apparent insert to reprint the art...BUT, when will I ever be able to afford an original FRANKENSTEIN ? It's a REAL, theater-used poster. SOLD!


THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (Egyptian 2000s re-release):

What I said about the FRANKENSTEIN poster above goes for this nifty THE DAY THE WORLD STOOD STILL. I'll probably never own the original---so this is a good, legit substitute. My complaint is that the Egyptian lettering on this one is too prominent. It's much more discrete (i.e. less noticeable) on some of the others... But I am still glad to have snagged it.



DRACULA (Egyptian 2000s re-release):

Yes--another Egyptian re-release. Of all of the early DRACULA poster styles, this may be my favorite. Glad to have scored it. 





And that's it. Now, I seriously doubt I'll have a new post for a while. ALL of my posters are now packed away. My move is scheduled for November 2nd. I still have a LOT to pack and get ready for. (That's not to say I won't be bidding on anything. Emovie's late October auctions--especially the Halloween one--are calling to me, AND they will hold items for weeks afterwards, giving me a chance to get moved and settled in somewhat.)

Have a groovy October and a spooky good Halloween (and do NOT bid on the posters I'm after, please! Ha!)




CHEERS!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On