Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2021 #11

 

Hi! Welcome to the 11th--and possibly LAST--- Shock-O-Rama Poster Show of the year --at least for several months. I'm busy packing for a move and up to my armpits in posters. (Details below.) UGH! I mean, I may buy more...but I don't have the time, money, and I want to be done with poster packing. Speaking of which, you may notice there is more than my usual 10 posters. Instead of holding back posters for some future posting (which may not be for months--if ever. My health issues keep rearing their ugly heads.), I'm posting everything I've gotten since last time. Take a peek or don't. I'm not feeling so well, which explains my rush to get this posted and the use of some online photos to illustrate today's posting. I'm going to go lay down. (Don't mind me...) Go ahead and take in the show:

SHARKWATER EXTINCTION:

I love the JAWS flicks, the rip-offs, and bad shark movies in general. This looks like it's probably a documentary--not a bad shark movie--and a sequel at that. BUT...it was fairly inexpensive and I got it to pad out the postage of another poster. I have never heard of this (or the original SHARKWATER mentioned on the poster). Lost to COVID, perhaps?



THE BOY:

I may (probably) already have one of these. THE BOY was okay--but disappointing. I did get to visit the house where it was made (It's in Victoria, B.C.), which was the attraction for me for the poster. I was supposed to see the sequel (BRAHMS: THE BOY II) with a friend the day California shut down for COVID. Is the sequel any good? (I'm not holding my breath...)



LUCA (Advance):

I have not seen this flick, but I have heard good things about it. Why get the poster? Apparently this film was destined for theaters before COVID. It was bumped to a summer 2021 opening and these advance posters were made. But, apparently, Disney changed their minds about releasing the film in theaters...and it ended up premiering on Disney +...bypassing theaters altogether. Oh well. I'm hoping there will eventually be a demand for this title. Probably wasted my cash.




MOANA:

I bought this because I thought I should...just in case. Was MOANA a hit? I don't really know. Actually, right after I bought this, I regretted it. I've been going through my posters and weeding out stuff I don't want/need. I've pulled lots of Disney stuff to sell or send to auction. This would probably end up in that pile. Oh well...




THE BLACK GODFATHER:
As you know, among other sub-genres, I do dig blaxploitation flicks from the early 70s. The blaxploitation horror movies are my faves, but there are other titles I also enjoy. Titles like THE BLACK GESTAPO, SUPER FLY, and BLACK MAMA/WHITE MAMA are safely ensconced in my collection. THE BLACK GODFATHER? Ooooo. That's one film I have not seen...but that title? How could I NOT want it? I've tried many times, but... This time I made a offer they couldn't refuse. (Bad joke.) Despite the black and white image, I'm thrilled to have it.



RETURN OF THE JEDI (re-release):
I bid on this without really paying attention, not realizing it was a re-release (I should have READ the description first. Ha!). Oh well. I'm not a big STAR WARS guy and I don't know all of the original release styles. I thought/hoped I'd be outbid...but, nope! Didn't happen. The force wasn't with me. Whatever...





THE BAT PEOPLE:
This movie is crap. I saw it years ago and, if I remember correctly (I probably don't, but...) there is only ONE bat person in it. Filmed in some caverns somewhere and pretty much a bunch of guano as I recall, However, I don't believe I have the poster---which is pretty cheesy in a cool/fun way---so I picked one up. 




GODZILLA (Egyptian re-release):
I will probably never own an original GODZILLA one sheet. Although I paid too much for this Egyptian re-release from the 2010s, I still thought it was a good idea to get it. Like my similar Egyptian rerelease of THE INVISIBLE MAN I got not too long back--it's still an original movie poster....not some repro print. Why not?




NO TIME TO DIE (International advance 2021 release):
Third time's a charm? We will see... The latest James Bond flick, NO TIME TO DIE, was supposed to open in April 2020. It got delayed due to the pandemic until November 2020 (and I knew when they announced it that there was no way it would be able to play...). Now it is scheduled for early October of this year. Will it finally see the light of day or...will the spread of the delta variant of COVID keep it from being shown again? I have the posters for the other proposed releases--as I have for every Bond film. I had to get the newest poster as well. Right? This is an international advance copy (Note: "in cinemas" instead of "in theaters"). I wonder if there will be a final copy? I sure wish they'd go back to the awesome painted art they used for Bond flicks from the Connery years through Roger Moore's tenure. Oh well...



FRIGHTMARE:
I paid too much for this (just $27...but probably too much)--and I may already have a copy. I haven't seen the flick, but that artwork... Yowza! I can't wait to see that hanging up in the house. Is this one of those instances where the poster is better than the flick? Ha!


3 NUTS IN SEARCH OF A BOLT:

Zowie! Mamie Van Doren in pasties! HOW was this poster ever allowed in 1964? This film (and Mamie's career?) may be a distant mammary, er...memory--but this wild poster lives on. Just as Jayne Mansfield was hoped to become the next Marilyn Monroe for 20th Century Fox, Mamie was Universal's attempt at a Monroe clone. Like Mansfield, her career in films found her in smaller and smaller budgeted projects that were more and more risque. (Mamie and Jayne were BOTH in LAS VEGAS HILLBILLIES--and both starred opposite Tommy Noonan in revealing sex romps. Jaye's was the year earlier in PROMISES PROMISES.) Mamie is 90 now and, as of this writing, the only one of the 3 Ms (Marilyn, Mamie, and Mansfield) still alive. I have been looking for a nice copy of this poster for years. Now, to just score a NAVY VS NIGHT MONSTERS one sheet and I'll be good with my mini-Mamie collection. 




LOST HIGHWAY (International):
Oooo, I love David Lynch's work. LOST HIGHWAY isn't his best, but it does have its moments. The scene near the end at the party between Bill Pullman and Robert Blake... What a simple yet  AWESOME moment in cinema. I have posters for the film--but I hadn't seen this one. 




HALLOWEEN KILLS (Advance):

Yes, of COURSE I'd have to get a poster for the latest HALLOWEEN film. Jeepers! I've seen these posters go crazy high...close to $200 or so. Insane! I got this as a "buy it now" on eBay from reputable poster dealer Dale Dilts for $69.89...which is still much higher than I'd normally want to pay, but... I just wanted to get it and be done with it. A few months after the film comes out, it will more than likely drop to half of that price (or less) (and I base this on the current prices of the 2018 HALLOWEEN one sheets). I wonder if there'll be a final poster release for this flick. I almost hope not (but really want a new one), as I am packing up my posters and am sooooo over dealing with rolled posters. OMG!!!  



That's it for the posters--but not for the post. 

As I've mentioned before, I plan to move in late October. My poster room/office is all torn up and looks like we had an earthquake or something. There is crap in it everywhere. I have been working on my tubes. I have been lax--for YEARS--about dealing with them. Now, I'm paying the piper... UGH! 

Instead of moving zillions of small tubes, I am opening them up and trying to put a lot of posters into larger tubes. I'm also trying to weed out posters I don't really want and putting them in piles for either going to auction, selling myself on eBay, or just giving to a thrift store (for those really lame posters that pad out bulk lots. Crap or not--I just can NOT trash them...so to a thrift store they go...) I now realize I HATE rolled posters. Sure, they display much better than folded posters, but storing them/moving them are a pain and separating them--UGH!--what a hassle. And, it must be easier to send them rolled, because I have tons of tubes with posters that should have been folded and sent by were rolled instead. Grr.

I'm doing this project in one of my guest rooms. The pile in the photo below is now much higher. My recycle bin is full. I am nowhere near being finished either. 


The good thing about doing this, aside from weeding out the crap and duplicates from stuff I want to keep and condensing it all, is that I am finally seeing things I have owned for years but have never "seen." There are dozens and dozens of tubes that are sealed and have never been opened. I think the oldest I've seen so far is dated 1998. Seeing some of the posters in real life is amazing--compared to just photographic images. Some are just stunning--far more gorgeous than I ever imagined. I've also come across a few things I had no idea I owned. Ha!  In addition, I have found several items that were damaged severally or ruined in packaging. This includes things purchased from auction houses. Not naming names, because accidents happen---and I am lame for not opening the tubes (and a few boxes) in a more timely manner and seeing what I had. It's the smaller sellers who have been the most frustrating though. One seller apparently decided to include a blown up balloon in a rolled poster he sent me. I have no idea why. Years later, the balloon has deflated...and is stuck to the poster. ARGH! Others have been ruined by the cheap tubes or triangular boxes getting crushed in the mail.
The folded stuff is much, much easier to go through. Oh well...

CHEERS!


Comments

  1. JEEPERS that Godzilla poster is great. Nice artwork and a great title.

    Calling Monster Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You came to the poster page. Glad you like the GODZILLA poster. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. JINKIES I once moved a few blocks across town. It was so expensive and so stressful. I have much fewer posters than you, but still have a lot. I store them flat in a giant box. I folded everyone that was previously folded, which was most of them. Rolled the rest in a giant roll. I don't want to ever move again.

    Calling Monster Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have those flat file drawers, but had soooooo many tubes, I just put off putting them in until it got overwhelming. I have boxes and boxes of folded posters and now way too many large tubes of rolled posters---and still so many more smaller tubes to go through. UGH!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this