Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #19



Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show. It looks like I'll be moving by the end of the year or early next year (if we can ever get a handle on this horrible virus situation, that is). Because of that, I need to (hopefully) stop buying posters. In fact, I've been going through them with the idea of getting rid of a lot before the move. We'll see if that happens also.

Today's post (my last for a while?) is nothing exciting or interesting. I bought another "lot" on eMovieposter.com. There were 65 posters in it, but of those I am only going to share 10 and ignore the rest. (Why torture you with crap?) The 10 I've pulled for this post are not even really worth your time....but they are here and ready to go...and possibly/probably my last "new" stuff for quite a while.

 So, let's get this show going...




BEAR ISLAND:

This lot poster is exciting and action packed...but I've never seen the flick (nor have I ever read an Alistair MacLean thriller). Interesting cast on this one, though.







TIME BOMB:

Another lot poster with interesting art but beyond that there isn't much to say as I've not seen the flick. Star Curt Jurgens is probably best known (in my world, anyway) as James Bond's nemesis Stromberg in THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. This was a French import from 1959 (released here in 1961).






PRISONERS OF THE CONGO:

As a lot poster, this one has at least some interesting art. It looks like a French import, but I am completely unfamiliar with it. 





THUMBELINA:

I like kiddie matinee posters, which is why this lot poster made the list. However, this one is u-g-l-y. It's a notorious Barry Mahon turd. I think this is one kiddie matinee poster I never bothered to buy before...and now, wanted or not, it's mine as part of a lot. 






ANGEL BABY:

This lot poster is for a 1961 film I had never heard of before. ANGEL BABY? The cast is impressive; George Hamilton, Mercedes McCambridge, Joan Blondel, Henry Jones,  (5th billed) Burt Reynolds (in his film debut, according to IMDB) ...and, as Angel Baby, introducing Miss Salome Jens (Who, apparently, vanished into obscurity right after her introduction. Oh my...) (No. I just looked. She is still around and has had a l-o-n-g career in bit parts. Hmm.)







EXIT TO EDEN:

I actually saw this---in the theater---really. I do not know how Garry Marshall got attached to this, but turning it into a comedy was really the only thing that could have been done. I had read the original novel before the flick came out. It was by Anne Rice (under one of her pseudonyms) and the book was not a comedy at all. The movie wasn't that good and I'm sure Ms. Rice hated it. It would have been so much worse had it not been made into a comedy...as it would have been unintentionally funny. Still, it feels like the Rosie O'Donnell and Dan Akroyd characters (which aren't in the book) were added in late in the production...when they realized the movie was veering towards being a total turd-o-rama. I wonder if Dana Delany lists this on her resume? Ha! It certainly did nothing to help Paul Mercurio's career. 







CONTEST GIRL:

I've never seen the movie this lot purchase poster is advertising, but I love the old school aesthetic. There's a "beauty racket"? Ha! At least Janette Scott and Edmund Purdom had a job. I'm sure the "startling expose" must be an unintentional camp fest when viewed today. Ha!





TIMERIDER:

This isn't that great of a poster--at all. I never saw this, but recall when it came out and have been curious about it. From the poster and what I remember of the TV ads, it is about a guy whose motorcycle somehow becomes a time machine...and back in time he goes. Like I said, I never saw it...but I wonder where he got gas in a world before gas stations? I don't think I had a copy of this poster before getting it in that lot. I wouldn't mind giving the flick a watch...






SO SAD ABOUT GLORIA:

I didn't even notice this poster when I bought the lot it came in. It's so simple, minimalistic (i.e. cheap--Ha!) and less than eye catching... It was only after it was mine and I was going through the various posters that I spotted it. The tag line reads: The romance of LOVE STORY--the terror of PSYCHO!" WHAT!!!??!!!  Ha! I had never heard of this movie, but my interest was sure piqued by that awesome tag line. I found it available on BluRay (as a drive in-style double feature from Code Red, which makes me think it's probably trash--but what else is new?) and ordered a copy. How could I not when I saw this description on IMDB of a cool promotional gimmick the film utilized upon it's release: "When this movie premiered, there was a telephone number (local) you could call. It was a recording of Gloria begging for help, then she would yell and the phone would go dead." Ha! I LOVE that. I wish I could have heard that. Oh well. Oscar winner Dean Jagger and PETTICOAT JUNCTION's Lori Saunders star. Only rated PG? Hmm. Oh well... I'm excited about it---at least until I get around to giving it a watch, probably. Ha!





TOM THUMB AND LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD:

Believe it or not, THIS poster is the one I wanted and why I went for this lot. Really. Really. REALLY! I love my kiddie matinee posters. I thought I had all of the K. Gordon Murray Mexican import LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD posters...but this one was new to me. Was it a double feature? A whole new movie that had so far escaped my attention? Nope...it was neither. It is actually an alternate title for LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD AND THE MONSTERS (the poster of which I already have). How interesting that there is not even a hint that the monsters are in this flick. Ha!  This is trash to everyone else--cheesy treasure to me. Ha! Why are these flicks NOT available on remastered BluRay in a deluxe boxed set? Maybe if I wish really hard, the Dazzling Dawn Fairy will make it so....





And that's it for now. I am framing things still and putting displays together (pointless now with a move coming up, but...). I'll eventually post an update on those.

In the mean time, take care. THANK YOU for visiting.


CHEERS!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Is this Mr. Rieber? Thanks for visiting and the comment. However, this is a poor example of my collection. My walls at home are covered with framed original posters for JAWS, HALLOWEEN, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE WOLF MAN (military re-release), FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER, KING KONG (1956 re-release), etc. But again, thanks for visiting. CHEERS!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On