Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2020 #4


Hello there! You are just in time. I've been perusing the newspaper ads again, looking for some deliriously wild movies to check out. I've got the posters for 10 prospects below. Let's take a look at them and see if anything strikes your fancy...or maybe bites your fancy? EEEK! Not all of them are horror, but try to keep an open mind. I'll save you a seat if you want to quickly rush to the snack bar. Just mind the sticky floor when you come back.





Ready? Got your Jujubes and Junior Mints? Thanks for getting me a Coke Icee. Okay, sit down. The show is starting now...



PARANORMAN (Canadian):

I think I already have the very similar US one sheet. I saw this flick in the theater (I was the only adult there that was not accompanied by children. Ha!). I don't remember much about it--except there were zombies in it. But the poster is fun and it was cheap ($3). Why not?







DISASTER:

I have a couple of copies of this old, forgotten disaster movie from 1948. I was/am a huge fan of the disaster flicks of the 1970s. I came across a half sheet for this (with very different art) years ago and wondered what the flick was like? I've never been able to see the film (which is apparently about an airplane crashing into a skyscraper and the rescue attempt that follows), but did come across the one sheet a few times. I just found a place I can order a DVD-r. Hmm. Should I?







WATCH ME WHEN I KILL:

I already have a copy of this. Why buy another?  Well, I've been posting my posters on Instagram (as theshockoramapostershow ). That is actually a great way (is it better than my blog or a poster forum site, perhaps?) to share my collection...because you can just scroll through and SEE EVERYTHING. As of this writing, I only have 469 posts...but that hardly scratches the surface of my collection. Anyway, some dick-wad, who I don't know and have never communicated with, posted a few very rude and totally snarky comments, one of them on the post about another copy of this poster. I was appalled. I tried to respond and answer his comments. He responded with another snarky comment...and I thought to myself, Why does he feel the need to do this? Who needs that BS? So I blocked him. Bye bye, A-Hole. He was complaining that I was a "poser," collecting posters for movies I hadn't ever seen before, why not leave them for the real fans? First of all, no, I have not seen every movie I have posters for---but I try. (I hadn't seen this flick, but have the DVD. I'll get to it eventually). Not all movies are available to be seen, with films like MME OLGA'S MASSAGE PARLOR and the bulk of Andy Milligan's softcore flicks (THE FILTHY FIVE, GUTTER TRASH, TRICKS OF THE TRADE, etc.) being "lost". Some movies I have posters for I never knew existed until I came across the poster! I love movies, but I am a POSTER COLLECTOR. I collect posters. If I see a poster I like, I buy it (or try to...). Anyway, the butthead who posted those comments was lamenting that he wanted a copy of this poster, etc. etc. etc. Hello? They are not that hard to find and not that expensive. I came across this one on eBay and put it in my watch list. It was there nearly a week before I decided to just buy it to spite that jerk. I didn't need it---but he (if he could even figure out how to search for it) isn't getting it either. GRR! I can't believe how irked that idiot made me.






SLAUGHTERHOUSE:

A short while back, I posted a new acquisition of a SLAUGHTERHOUSE video poster. I thought the flick went straight to video. Oops! Imagine my surprise when I found out it HAD had a theatrical release. I had to go back to the drawing board... well, at least go shopping again. Found a theatrical one sheet finally. I can call it a day on this title.






THE FLAMBOYANT SEX:

"See the torridly 'sexy' finger scene!"  Oh my!  Who doesn't need a poster with such a scandalous bit of verbiage like that on it? Ha! And it is distributed by Shawn International Inc. Ha! How Go-Go groovy! Even Paris was SHOCKED! Some pot-boiler nudie from 1963. It was super cheap so I thought I'd buy to resell down the road.




SANTA SANGRE:

I LOVE this movie. I already have this one sheet (I think), but wanted a second copy just in case I'm mistaken. Alejandro Jorodowsky is BRILLIANT. This was the first film of his I ever saw...and you know what they say about your first time... Ha! I do like (and have) the original VHS video poster for this better than the one sheet...but still, it's SANTA SANGRE. It's such a great movie. I'm thrilled to have this and it MUST go on my walls very soon.





THE SHED:

This is a new-ish film. I looked it up when I saw this poster for sale. The trailer is on YouTube. It looks like a little independent flick that is playing art houses and festivals, trying to make a name for itself. It looked interesting enough to invest in this poster for it...in case it ever does take off. It will probably disappear into obscurity (much like HELL FEST, which I really enjoyed and was sure would become a cult hit...but didn't). Oh well...




NO TIME TO DIE (Advance):

The new James Bond poster? Hello? Love my 007. I have US one sheets for all of the films, so I needed this one as well. It was a bit pricey (and a rather dull poster to boot), but it IS Bond. James Bond. I hope the final poster is far more interesting than this snoozeriffic advance... But if the previous posters for Daniel Craig's Bond adventures are any indication, I shouldn't get my hopes too high. Oh well...






PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN:

This looks like an interesting (and timely...???) twist on psycho/serial killer flicks. Great poster art. How could you NOT love it?





VAMPYRES (Spanish):

Arguably the best poster in this batch was one I wasn't even going to bother to bid on...until the last few minutes of the auction. I'm kind of done with foreign posters for the most part. The sizes are all different, making them more difficult to frame. With the US stuff, depending on when they were made, there is only an inch different in sizes. I've got frames for both sizes. However, the art on this was so groovy (spooky castle, bats, gravestones, and scantily clad vampire chicks with blood dripping down their mouths), I went for it. I paid more than I wanted---but what a fun poster. There is a sucker born every minute...or would that be suckee in relation to vampire movies and their posters?





Okay kids. That is it for today. I hope a few things grabbed your fancy...or perhaps tickled it? (Sadly there is nothing "fancy" about mine. Sigh...)

Have a fabulous fancy-ful day!  See you next time.

CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this