Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2019 Special Edition 2: MORE Newly Framed and Hung Posters!


Hi there! Welcome back. NO, I still have not purchased any posters (well...). However, I have framed a few more and have been busy, busy, BUSY hanging them. Except for the guest bedrooms, my house pretty much has all available walls occupied with movie paper. My closets are filled with framed posters and I have a zillion folded or rolled posters in boxes and / or tubes. I wish I had MORE walls!

A poster collector friend has frequently shared photos of the walls of his apartments. He has beautiful stuff. We have different tastes, obviously, but both dig having our posters on display. Mel has always had a double row of posters on his walls. (You can view his poster Facebook page HERE.)  When he shared the photo below of his new apartment, I decided to use him for inspiration and double up on (most of) MY walls. Zowie!


I've also been trying to properly store some posters in my flat file. I've been digging through boxes, envelopes and tubes of posters purchased over the years but (gasp!) never opened. My house is pretty torn up at the moment...but I also came across some poster treasures I had forgotten I had. Some of these I framed. (I do apologize for the bad lighting, glare and awkward angels--especially in the hallway.)

HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER:  I've never seen this flick (although it is in my DVD pile and will be viewed very soon). I've heard many people refer to it as an unofficial follow up to I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF and I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN as the monster make ups for both are used in the film. I know Gary Conway (IWATF) is back....but someone else is filling in for Michael Landon. Anyway, as I was adding more posters to the walls, I thought I should group this with the TEENAGE duo. I dug X-THE MAN WITH X-RAY EYES out of the closet to finish off the space.







KISS OF THE VAMPIRE: Another flick I've never seen (???), but one with a gorgeous poster. I was looking for this one when I was framing stuff last time, but had not come across it yet. I opened it today---so into a frame it went. I didn't know where to put it. Maybe replace one of the trio behind the cabinet in the living room? I really like that grouping of BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE, SCREAMING SKULL and CURSE OF THE UNDEAD. But then I thought, if I move the chest down a bit (so it is centered beneath two of the posters instead of all three), I could add KISS OF THE VAMPIRE in.  I thought about raising the SCREAMING SKULL and CURSE OF THE UNDEAD to be on the same level as BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE, but I think the gap between the bottom of the posters and the top of the chest will be too big. I may leave it like it is. Too weird--or do you think it will be okay??








The back wall of the living room had so much potential. There is no furniture against it, so I had no problem making a 4-poster wall into an 8-poster wall. I removed BLOOD OF DRACULA (for use elsewhere--you'll see it later) and pulled my MIGHTY JOE YOUNG re-release, INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN, INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN and WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST out of the closets and slapped them on the wall. (That boxy thing on the far left is my NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET pinball machine, which I have still NOT gotten up on its legs and working yet. Grrr!!)







In the dining room I have a bunch of pre-1950s posters. In one little space behind a cupboard, I had the poster for THE BRIDE AND THE BEAST--the silly gorilla loves woman movie penned by ED "Plan 9" WOOD, which is from the 1950s.--and didn't belong. I came across my 1948 (??) re-release of THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII and SHE and slapped that up in its place. 


(Here is the rest of the dining room wall--just for reference...)

On the wall next to the refrigerator in the kitchen, I bumped up the ABBOT T AND COSTELLO MEET DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE poster and squeezed in the silly BRIDE AND THE BEAST below it.





THE CATMAN OF PARIS/VALLEY OF THE ZOMBIES: The cheap-looking and cheesy poster for this re-release double feature needed to be framed. I thought it would pair nicely with my REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES poster on the other side of the fridge.







I tackled the hallway next. The five posters that were hanging there could easily become 10. Whoo hoo! I went to work. Pulling THE HEADLESS GHOST out of the closet, I paired it with NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST.




 Further down the hallway was my FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER with CURSE OF THE VOODOO poster. I LOVE this poster. What should I pair it with? What goes with Frankenstein? Dracula, of course. So here is where BLOOD OF DRACULA was relocated.






On the other side of the hallway, my NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and CREATURE WALKS AMONG US bumped up the wall...but also needed companions to hang with them. While I am not sure that the ones I chose will last long, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (which is really too dark of a poster to see and appreciate in the hallway) and SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD (love the art!) filled the bill for the moment and were rescued from the closet.





At the end of the hall, my all-time favorite Andy Milligan poster, THE RATS ARE COMING, THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE, moved up the wall to make room for...what? Although I am not sure it really works there, I grabbed the PIECES poster that I had recently removed from my bedroom to make way for the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN re-release poster. PIECES is a fun movie....but I am thinking I need to frame and put THE KILLER SHREWS  or WILLARD there instead. Hmm...






THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN poster had been on the wall between the window and the bathroom door in my bedroom. While there isn't really room in my bedroom to add more posters to most of the walls due to furniture being in the way, I decided to add an extra poster in the space BRIDE had been in --- and to the space directly opposite it behind my bedroom door. I moved BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN next to the military style for GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (replacing the poster for the original release of ASTRO ZOMBIES ).






The re-release of ASTRO ZOMBIES was already on the wall behind my bedroom door. It got a boost up and the original poster for the film found a home below the re-release (next to another Andy Milligan gem---the outlandishly so-bad-it's-amazing poster for THE MAN WITH TWO HEADS). Fun fact about ASTRO ZOMBIES--it was co-written by Wayne Rogers, which I recently found out was the Wayne Rogers who starred as Trapper John on the first season(s?) of the MASH television series. Ha!






On the wall next to the bathroom that was formerly occupied by THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (and before that, PIECES), I slapped up JAWS and I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE--both re-discovered as I was digging through the closets. Will they stay there forever? Who knows? But I dig having them up for now. Speaking of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, the recent documentary on the film, I GREW UP WITH 'I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE', reveals that when the Jerry Gross Organization bought the distribution rights and changed the title and ad campaign, they used a then-unknown model for the poster. Her name was (gasp!) Demi Moore! Ha!





THE KILLER SHREWS:  Okay--back to the hallway. The PIECES poster below THE RATS ARE COMING, THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE just didn't work for me. So I framed my KILLER SHREWS poster (with it's giant rat-like tail dragging over a shoe near a big blood stain) and decided to pop that up. THE KILLER SHREWS is a lame old flick...with small dogs in killer shrew drag. Ha! The poster isn't all that fab either---but it has it's enigmatic charm, I guess. There was a fairly recent sequel to the film, RETURN OF THE KILLER SHREWS. I never saw it...but now that the DVD is out of print, you can't touch a copy for less that $50 or so. CRAZY! Whatever... I think the SHREWS poster works better with THE RATS ARE COMING... than PIECES did.







Dong! Dong! Dong! Uh oh... The Monster A GoGo alarm clock is ringing. I am afraid it is time to go, boils and ghouls. Thanks, as always, for visiting. I will hopefully be back soon.



CHEERS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #6

  And we're back... So soon? Well... Yes. I was naughty and bought a pair of poster lots again. No, I'm not going to post every single poster in the lots I bought. Many I already have. Many I could have done without. One batch (folded) was an OOPS. I thought I was bidding on a different lot. Ha! Dumb me. There really wasn't anything in it I was after. The other lot (rolled) only contained 2 items I wanted. Isn't that usually the case? But  I did find an item or two I didn't have and was mildly curious about. There were also some non-lot purchases as well this time.  But...I'm yammering. Let's just take a look, shall we?  B.C. ROCK: This is one of those "mildly curious" posters that happened to be in the rolled lot. This looks vaguely familiar but I never saw it. It seems to be some animated flick with a lot of music...and is R-rated.  Hmm.  What caught my eye was the caveman who seemed to be hanging on to this rather phallic-looking rock. WHAT? On

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r