Skip to main content

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2024 #4

 

Hello. Welcome back. Today's offerings are...rather unexciting for the most part. As I've said many times before, my poster-buying power has been greatly diminished. I fear my post-buying days are wrapping up, too. The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show may be finally coming to a close in the near future. For now though, here's the latest of what I have to share with you today:


KING FRAT:
This was a fairly cheap poster--but supposedly rather rare? But really, it's not much to look at. I bought it because... I remember when this obscurity came out. Although I never saw it, it appeared to be some low-rent ANIMAL HOUSE wannabe. I was always curious... I bought it on disk (with THE CHEERING SECTION) on a clearance sale for old CODE RED products. (I guess that company went out of business?) I haven't watched it yet as I read the disk was taken directly from two very badly worn VHS sources. Oh well. I'll get to it someday. Maybe. The poster will go in a drawer. Whoopie...

STAR WARS (Trilogy re-release 1997): 
I came across a STAR WARS auction not too long back. I've never been a big STAR WARS fan, but I know others are...so I buy it if I deem it affordable enough. It turns out I already had this 1997 re-release poster of the "special edition" version of the trilogy. I remember when this came out. The films were released one month apart at a time. But they STAYED. I remember driving next to a theater with four screens in town. The large marquee out front made me laugh. STAR WARS was in one theater. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK in another. RETURN OF THE JEDI in another. On the 4th screen was FOOLS RUSH IN. That I found pretty funny.

STAR WARS
(DVD rerelease 2004):
I hadn't seen this poster for the trilogy/original film before and picked it up inexpensively. It turned out to be for a DVD release. Oh well. It will just sit in a drawer anyway...
STAR WARS EPISODE 2: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (teaser):
Although I am no STAR WARS fan, I did manage to see all of the movies. The prequel series was awful (I saw the first one in the theater...didn't catch the other two until years later on DVD.) I thought these three flicks were just terrible--with this one possibly being the worst of the three. (At least the Jarr-Jarr character wasn't in it... Was he?) These teaser sheets--I knew I had 2 of the 3 (for parts 1-3), but didn't have time to look to make sure. Unfortunately, it turns out this is NOT the one I needed. Oh well...into the drawer it goes.

ABIGAIL:
I'm not sure what to expect from this vampire ballerina girl movie. It probably won't even play here anyway. But... It wasn't that expensive.

THE FIRST OMEN (Final):
No, I have not seen this yet...and it seems doubtful it will ever play on my island. (The lone theather seems content to play the new GODZILLA/KING KONG, GHOSTBUSTERS, and DUNE sequel forever...) But the reviews on it seem to be more or less positive! I really like the OMEN series--even if they have gotten worse and worse as they went along. The first was a masteriece of horror. The second was campy fun. The third was a bit tedious. The 4th was a stillborn abomination. The remake was unnecessary. The TV series (DAMIAN) I thought had great potential and was disappointed it was cancelled so quickly. I am glad that this new movie seems to be putting the series back on track.

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE:
I remember the TV series this was based on--and actually remember seeing this in the theater. (I could probably tell you which auditorium of which movie house I saw this in, too!) I don't know why my movie-going memory is so strong for this flick--when I couldn't tell you a thing about the movie itself (other than I became perculiarly aware, during the credits, that Rae Dawn Chong was in it. I'd known that she was around, but up until that time I hadn't really seen her in anything that I was actually aware that she was in. I was most curious to see if the daughter of Cheech & Chong's Tommy Chong could act or not--or if she was just trading on her dad's name.) While I don't remember the movie, the poster is fun. This was cheap. Why not?

JUNGLE WOMAN
(re-release)
How fun! Yes, this is only a re-release poster, but hello? It's for the goofy, piece o' low-rent TARZAN-wannabe trash, JUNGLE WOMAN, starring the one and only ACQUANETTA! Ha! Evelyn Ankers and J. Carrol Naish also star. 

THE VAMPIRE-BEAST CRAVES BLOOD and CURSE OF THE BLOOD-GHOULS (combo):
I was very surprised--when I looked it up on my blog--that I didn't have this poster already. I might have it, having gotten it before I started the blog. Just to be sure, I snagged this copy. THE VAMPIRE-BEAST CRAVES BLOOD (the film) is a rarity. I've never seen it. Apparently the "vampire beast" is a Deathshead moth that has been experimented on so that it can transform into a young woman to lure her victims in, which she drains of blood in her moth form! Faux Hammer shenanigans starring Hammer faves Petter Cushing and Robert Flemyng. A quote from Poe on the poster may also be trying to lead you to believe it's another Poe adaptation? Rated G! CURSE OF THE BLOOD GHOULS is maybe better known here as SLAUGHTER OF THE VAMPIRES, a black & white Italian shocker--also Rated G.

FEMALE TROUBLE:
UGH! This is a love-hate purchase. LOVE because how many decades have I been after this? TOO MANY. HATE because it cost me sooooooo much money (and is only in "good to very good" condition). It was one of those times where you just yell "F------------------" at the top of your lungs and bid because you know you'll never have one otherwise. Damn! I love me some John Waters...and this is probably my favorite of his films. Besides...as I write this (in early April), my birthday is less than a week away. This year, I feel like hell and will NOT be going anywhere to celebrate. This poster is my "celebration". (Now early May--I have it and it's already in a frame!)
That's my 10 for this time. I have a few posters (nothing exciting) held back for next time (if there is a next time). I hope you'll come back then. Before I go though, just in case you are interested, here are some MORE of my faux movie poster-like mail art envelopes I've been making and sending out. 
Here are links to the last four posts (NOT shared here before):
LINK 1: CLICK HERE
LINK 2: CLICK HERE
LINK 3: CLICK HERE
LINK 4: CLICK HERE

Okay--once again, THANK YOU for visiting. Until we meet again...
CHEERS!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023: #10

Welcome back! I certainly did NOT expect to have any further posts with new purchases this 2023 calendar year, but here we are. Granted, most of these are holdover purchases from my temporary poster-buying insanity in October. I’d expected those to be the foundation for whatever post I kicked off the new year with. But now? I had a few more pick ups… Why hold back? Let’s send 2023 out with a real BANG! Christmas came a little early this year. Uh oh… The lights are dimming. Take your seats. Let’s see what I have for you this time… GIRL IN GOLD BOOTS:  Not a great poster, but one I’ve been after for a while. This flick is an exploitationer from legendary B man Ted V. Mikels (CORPSE GRINDERS, ASTRO-ZOMBIES, BLOOD ORGY OF THE SHE-DEVILS, etc.). I saw it years ago. I don’t remember much other than that there is a girl (who wears gold go-go boots) who is a dancer (and maybe sings?) and is somehow involved in the criminal underworld. Like a lot of Mikels’ films…it doesn’t leave an indelible m

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #9

  Welcome! Get your tickets and take your seat.The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show is about to begin. I am still disabled and only getting worse…yet, uh, um…I’m spending money on my ADDICTION to posters that I really have NO BUSINESS doing. Why? Because I am STUPID. (But I LOVE staring at them…) Waaaaagh! Anyway—-my stupidity is your viewing pleasure (or however you want to term it…).  Here we go… THE LADY IN THE MORGUE (1942 RE-RELEASE) : This isn't something that I'd usually buy. I've never seen this old mystery/whodunit flick. Despite this being a re-release poster (The original, with completely different art, hails from 1938.), I decided to go ahead and buy this 81-year-old gem for several reasons. I like the monster-ish hands reaching in at the couple. I dig the purple/green color scheme. The old school font is awesome...and one of its co-stars is Barbara Pepper, who brilliantly played Mrs. Ziffel (Arnold the pig's "mom") on GREEN ACRES. Ha! The most important r

The Shock-O-Rama Poster Show 2023 #8

  And, what!?! We're B-A-C-K!!! That was...quick. (It just seems that way as I delayed the previous post until I finished my write up on my Something Weird Video adrventure, which I had linked to the page. I've already been working on this one for several weeks.) Truth be told, though, about half of these became mine in a 12 hour period. It is no secret that I am now disabled. I live on a VERY modest income with very little in the bank to fall back on. There is a saying, "You can't take it with you." There should also be a saying that says "You can't enjoy it if you don't have it." That seemed to have been my mindset during a recent eMovieposter auction. Despite the fact that everything was on linen--there were so many titles I wanted. Things were fairly cheap...until the very end. But... Geez! Dipping into my meager savings was... EXTREMELY STUPID and FOOLISH.  But, it happened. Let's take a look: PRO BALL CHEERLEADERS: What the hell is this